V6-Images-audio balance looks good??

  • n3hkn
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 2 10:40 AM
      Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in balance
      slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
      the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
      other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
      have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.

      Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.

      The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v p-p.

      I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
      meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift or T1
      but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the clocks.

      Signed - Baffled

      Dick N3HKN
    • DUANE BAADE
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2 11:53 AM
        Dick,

        I also had the problem of the missing channel on the V5. What I found was that the circuit board art had C12 shorted which resulted in that op-amp stage having a gain of 1. I used an exacto knife to remove the short and had to add a jumper to get it to match the schematic. After this modification, I then had both channels out.

        I don't know about V6 as I have not received my kit yet.

        Duane     W5PNM

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2 11:56 AM
          Rigged a probe from R8-X for dual trace. Checked clocks to the FST and
          they are 90deg out of phase. Hooked an xtal oscillator to the V6 to
          get a strong signal. Looked at the audio at the "stero plug". The two
          audio channels are identical and 180 degrees out of phase. Seems to me
          that this should work. Tried KGKSDR and Rocky. ????
          Dick N3HKN

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@...> wrote:

          > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in balance
          > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
          > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
          > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
          > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
          >
          > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
          >
          > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v p-p.
          >
          > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
          > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift or T1
          > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the
          clocks.

          > Signed - Baffled
          >
          > Dick N3HKN

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 2 12:08 PM
            Hi Dick,

            Does Rocky tell you that the two L and R signals have about the same
            amplitude? Also what do you see when you go to I/Q balance?

            When T1 is wired correctly the unmarked via between via 3 and via 5 should
            have two secondary wires goin to it, one from the top of the core and one
            from the bottom of the core. The resistance beteeen the unmarked via and
            via 3 or unmarked via and via 5 should be about zero ohms.

            Look carefully at the soldering of pins of U4. Also look to see if R7 and
            R8 are hitting the right vias on the board. R8 going to a wrong via neat
            its location could cause the problem you are seeing.

            Hope this helps.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in balance
            > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
            > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
            > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
            > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
            >
            > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
            >
            > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v p-p.
            >
            > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
            > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift or T1
            > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the clocks.
            >
            > Signed - Baffled
            >
            > Dick N3HKN
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • KD5NWA
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 2 12:16 PM
              The audio should be 90 degrees out of phase.

              At 01:56 PM 4/2/2006, you wrote:

              >Rigged a probe from R8-X for dual trace. Checked clocks to the FST and
              >they are 90deg out of phase. Hooked an xtal oscillator to the V6 to
              >get a strong signal. Looked at the audio at the "stero plug". The two
              >audio channels are identical and 180 degrees out of phase. Seems to me
              >that this should work. Tried KGKSDR and Rocky. ????
              >Dick N3HKN
              >

              >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in balance
              > > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
              > > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
              > > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
              > > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
              > >
              > > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
              > >
              > > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v p-p.
              > >
              > > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
              > > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift or T1
              > > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the
              >clocks.
              > >
              > > Signed - Baffled
              > >
              > > Dick N3HKN
              > >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Cecil Bayona
              KD5NWA
              www.qrpradio.com

              "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"
            • n3hkn
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3 1:42 PM
                My problem seems to have been my Turtle Beach sound card. Something
                became fouled up and had to reload drivers.

                Re: Sound I/Q output of V6.

                I thought that it had to be 180 degrees out so that it could be used
                to cancel the image. I know that the clocks are 90deg out to get the
                four samples integrated to two composites which is where the 180
                degree question comes in.

                In the meantime the V6 seems to work very well. I have 2 V5s but no
                setup to switch between them right now. So "very well" is the best I
                can do.
                Dick
                N3HKN

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 3 2:04 PM
                  Nope, the four quadrature are added up in pairs, 0, and inverted 180, 90 and inverted 270 degrees. They do not cancel by subtracting, that is why you need a PC, the math is quite complex. By having the two audio signal be generated by clocks that are 90 degrees apart you generate I and Q audio from which you can calculate if a signal is below or above the clock.

                  You might be thinking of a NC2030 where the signals are subtracted but only after going through a polyphase network.

                  At 03:42 PM 4/3/2006, you wrote:
                  My problem seems to have been my Turtle Beach sound card. Something
                  became fouled up and had to reload drivers.

                  Re: Sound I/Q output of V6.

                  I thought that it had to be 180 degrees out so that it could be used
                  to cancel the image. I know that the clocks are 90deg out to get the
                  four samples integrated to two composites which is where the 180
                  degree question comes in.

                  In the meantime the V6 seems to work very well. I have 2 V5s but no
                  setup to switch between them right now. So "very well" is the best I
                  can do.
                  Dick
                  N3HKN

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, KD5NWA <KD5NWA@...> wrote:

                  > The audio should be 90 degrees out of phase.
                  >
                  > At 01:56 PM 4/2/2006, you wrote:
                  >

                  > >Rigged a probe from R8-X for dual trace. Checked clocks to the FST and
                  > >they are 90deg out of phase. Hooked an xtal oscillator to the V6 to
                  > >get a strong signal. Looked at the audio at the "stero plug". The two
                  > >audio channels are identical and 180 degrees out of phase. Seems to me
                  > >that this should work. Tried KGKSDR and Rocky.  ????
                  > >Dick  N3HKN
                  > >

                  > >--- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n3hkn" <n3hkn@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Perfect images on V6. Using Rocky I can move the mixer line-in
                  balance
                  > > > slider and see normal reactions such as extremes on both ends cusses
                  > > > the full attenuation of the opposite channels and max level on the
                  > > > other. Reverse is true in the other extreme of the balance slider. I
                  > > > have had the missing audio channel syndrome on V5 Softrocks.
                  > > >
                  > > > Touched up solder and ohm'd out connections to the ICs.
                  > > >
                  > > > The switching signals to the FST are same amplitude- close to 5v
                  p-p.

                  > > > I rewound, and wired T1 to no avail. I see good strong signals on 40
                  > > > meters but total images as well. I suspect the clock phase shift
                  or T1
                  > > > but rewired T1 and I do not have a second probe to dual trace the
                  > >clocks.
                  > > >
                  > > > Signed - Baffled
                  > > >
                  > > > Dick  N3HKN
                  > > >

                  > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                  > >

                  > Cecil Bayona
                  > KD5NWA
                  > www.qrpradio.com
                  >
                  > "Windows the worlds most successful software virus"

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  Cecil Bayona
                  KD5NWA
                  www.qrpradio.com

                  I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't; only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...