EME reception with 28Mhz Ver5 IF

  • patbilldavis
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      This morning 2m EME was a bit slow early. So I decided to try the
      28Mhz Ver5 SoftRock that I have been playing with as the IF receiver.

      I normally use a Icom 746Pro with a ARR preamp for 2meter EME. (8877
      on the xmit side at 800watts.) Running WSJT 65B and a single 4WL yagi
      I have 149 WSJT 65B 2m EME initials.

      Using the ARR preamp, MOSFET based homebrew 2m receive converter
      from the 1970s, a IC based 28Mhz preamp at about 13db into the SRVer5.
      KB8RQ was copied within 1db of the normal system. A/B tests are
      difficult on EME with the signal variations, but I was happy with the
      first test.

      I was using the Delta 44 sound card and my Dell 4700 2.8Ghz P4
      computer. Running Rocky 1.41. I ran WSJT6 on a second system for thois
      test.

      I am looking forward to VHF contest time and to 10Ghz rain scatter
      for more test that will follow.

      Played some with Power SDR 1.6 last night with the 20meter Ver5.
      Sure sound quiet vrs Rocky... CPU time was running about 6-7% which
      sure suprised me!! I want to play more with that too. Rocky is just SO
      HARD to beat for an all round software package here!

      Bill K0AWU EN37ed
    • Bill Tracey
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2006
        Very cool. Do I read your meaning correctly in that your transverter has
        about 13 db of gain?

        Will be interested to hear how things work for VHF contesting and rain
        scatter. Most of the VHF and up folks playing with SDR 1000's have been
        really happy with the panadapter display in making it easy to find folks.

        Not sure I get your meaning in PowerSDR 1.6 sounding quiet relative to
        Rocky? 1.6 is the latest official release of PowerSDR and is the
        culmination of a lot of work by Eric (ke5dto), Bob (n4hy), Frank (ab2kt)
        and others over the last few months.

        Cheers,

        Bill