Re: [softrock40] Use of version 6 on another frequency

  • Clive Jenner
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
      Thanks to those that have offered advice on my use of the Softrock V6 as
      an IF detector.

      73 Clive G0PPO

      Steve Ireland wrote:
      > Hi Clive
      >
      > As Tony says, you need to choose the crystal frequency so it is a little
      > offset from the IF frequency. Alex VE3NEA has been using a SoftRock V3 as a
      > dsp back-end to his TS570 for some time and gave me the following advice for
      > using a M-audio D44 soundcard with my old TT Omni C transceiver:
      >

      > "Use the 96 kHz sampling rate and choose the crystal frequency in such a way
      > as to mix transceiver's IF to 24 or -24 kHz to avoid the central area of the
      > soundcard's passband as well as its edges that are contaminated with
      > aliases."
      >
      > In my case, with a 9MHz IF, I chose to use 8.796MHz - but forgot I needed to
      > multiply the frequency four times in order to buy the right crystal to work
      > with my Softrock V4... Don't make the same mistake as me - check what
      > crystal multiplication factor is necessary for your particular Softrock
      > version...
      >
      > Vy 73
      >
      > Steve, VK6VZ

    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi Clive,

        In the case of your 8.215MHZ IF frequency the crystal frequencies of 32.764
        MHz or 32.956 MHz would provide the center frequencies 24 kHz offset from
        your IF frequency. This assumes your soundcard can sample at 96 kHz.
        Another possibility is sub-harmonic sampling where the (IF frequency +24 kHz
        or -24 kHz) is multiplied by 4/3 (or 8/3 with the v6.0 SoftRock) to get to
        the possible crystal frequencies.

        If your soundcard can only do 48 kHz sampling then the center frequencies
        would need to be (IF frequency +12 kHz or -12 kHz) but this might result in
        a portion of your pass band tuning being noisy.

        Please post how the SoftRock works for you in the IF application.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        > Thanks to those that have offered advice on my use of the Softrock V6 as
        > an IF detector.
        >
        > 73 Clive G0PPO
        >
        > Steve Ireland wrote:
        >> Hi Clive
        >>
        >> As Tony says, you need to choose the crystal frequency so it is a little
        >> offset from the IF frequency. Alex VE3NEA has been using a SoftRock V3
        >> as a
        >> dsp back-end to his TS570 for some time and gave me the following advice
        >> for
        >> using a M-audio D44 soundcard with my old TT Omni C transceiver:
        >>

        >> "Use the 96 kHz sampling rate and choose the crystal frequency in such a
        >> way
        >> as to mix transceiver's IF to 24 or -24 kHz to avoid the central area of
        >> the
        >> soundcard's passband as well as its edges that are contaminated with
        >> aliases."
        >>
        >> In my case, with a 9MHz IF, I chose to use 8.796MHz - but forgot I needed
        >> multiply the frequency four times in order to buy the right crystal to
        >> work
        >> with my Softrock V4... Don't make the same mistake as me - check what
        >> crystal multiplication factor is necessary for your particular Softrock
        >> version...
        >>
        >> Vy 73
        >>
        >> Steve, VK6VZ

      • Clive Jenner
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 2006
          Thanks for that Tony. I will certainly post my results. I will have a
          sort through my stock of crystals to see if I have anything suitable. I
          belive you said that you will deliver my V6 kit towards tyhe end oif
          April. So if I have not got aa suitable crystal. I can get one on order.

          73 Clive G0PPO