Re: [softrock40] Re:FYI Genesis Radio

  • R R Robson
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
      Wishful thinking on my part, Tom --- Fry's
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
        I think you want Frys.

        Tom

        www.km5h.com

        R R Robson wrote:

        > Tom:
        >
        > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
        > temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
        > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
        > http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
        > info on that page).
        >
        > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
        > What happens in the shack
        > Stays in the shack!

      • drmail377
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
          Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:

          Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)

          http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

          Same link here:

          http://bit.ly/2e2ET9

          FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.

          73's David WB4ONA

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

          > Tom:
          >
          > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
          >
          > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
          > What happens in the shack
          > Stays in the shack!

        • Dave - WB6DHW
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
            For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
            a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
            but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
            clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.

            Dave - WB6DHW
            <http://wb6dhw.com>

            drmail377 wrote:
            > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
            >
            > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
            >
            > http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
            >
            > Same link here:
            >
            > http://bit.ly/2e2ET9
            >
            > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
            >
            > 73's David WB4ONA
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Tom:
            >>
            >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
            >>
            >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
            >> What happens in the shack
            >> Stays in the shack!

          • R R Robson
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
              Thanks - I keep telling folks, my momma didn't raise no typokist!

              That 115 VAC could be a decided disadvantage across the pond.  I'll never forget years ago when I stayed with an Italian family for a summer and brought them a gift: a beautiful GE clock radio (115 VAC 60 Hz - analog clock).  Lost 10 minutes each hour!

              tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
              What happens in the shack
              Stays in the shack!
              Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:

              Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)

              http://shop1. frys.com/ product/4825190; jsessionid= JgkkdKH3TaF0Y- KUZY+jHQ* *.node2?site= sr:SEARCH: MAIN_RSLT_ PG

              Same link here:

              http://bit.ly/ 2e2ET9

              FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.

              73's David WB4ONA

              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@.. .> wrote:

              > Tom:
              >
              > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
              >
              > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
              > What happens in the shack
              > Stays in the shack!

            • Mike Loebl
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                I agree 100%. I purchased an Aoyue 2702 after I had issues with my
                HF transceiver, and wish I had done it earlier! I remember when I got my
                first SoftRock kit I was worried about soldering the surface mount
                components (then realized that it was a breeze, and the toroids were the
                part I truly disliked.) I remember very well when I had the dreaded moment
                of "the smt IC is backwards", and my stomach sank. After quite a bit of
                work I was able to get it off, but not without accidentally lifting a pad
                (thank goodness the green wire worked.) Now I can pull them off in about
                15s with no damage. Also comes in handy for removing other stuff like
                connectors that have multiple TH pins. I believe people have successfully
                used inexpensive hot air guns as some have a narrowing head add-on, you just
                need to be careful with them as they aren't as temp controllable.

                73s,

                -Mike
                KB1MTS

                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                  I use an embossing heat tool that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $20.00. It works great for repairs and for building the softrocks.

                  You should be able to get the embossing heat tool at most hobby shops.

                  Hope this is helpful.
                  73s
                  Craig AB9IV
                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@...> wrote:

                  > For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                  > a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                  > but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                  > clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.
                  >
                  > Dave - WB6DHW
                  > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                  >
                  > drmail377 wrote:
                  > > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                  > >
                  > > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                  > >
                  > > http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                  > >
                  > > Same link here:
                  > >
                  > > http://bit.ly/2e2ET9
                  > >
                  > > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                  > >
                  > > 73's David WB4ONA
                  > >
                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > >> Tom:
                  > >>
                  > >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                  > >>
                  > >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                  > >> What happens in the shack
                  > >> Stays in the shack!

                • R R Robson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                    I use a similar one and fashion a "nozzle" out of aluminum foil which serves to focus the hot air on the part.  Without that, things can get a little dicey due to the melting of the solder on adjacent components.

                    tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                    What happens in the shack
                    Stays in the shack!
                    I use an embossing heat tool that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $20.00. It works great for repairs and for building the softrocks.

                    You should be able to get the embossing heat tool at most hobby shops.

                    Hope this is helpful.
                    73s
                    Craig AB9IV
                    --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@.. .> wrote:

                    > For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                    > a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                    > but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                    > clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.
                    >
                    > Dave - WB6DHW
                    > <http://wb6dhw. com>
                    >
                    > drmail377 wrote:
                    > > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                    > >
                    > > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                    > >
                    > > http://shop1. frys.com/ product/4825190; jsessionid= JgkkdKH3TaF0Y- KUZY+jHQ* *.node2?site= sr:SEARCH: MAIN_RSLT_ PG
                    > >
                    > > Same link here:
                    > >
                    > > http://bit.ly/ 2e2ET9
                    > >
                    > > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                    > >
                    > > 73's David WB4ONA
                    > >
                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > >> Tom:
                    > >>
                    > >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                    > >>
                    > >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                    > >> What happens in the shack
                    > >> Stays in the shack!

                  • Marciniak, Ed
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009

                      Shorting either of the paddle inputs or hitting MOX button in PowerSDR 1.18 does not cause my RXTX 6.3 to go into transmit. I’m using the PA0FKO SDR1K.dll. Is transmit supported for this configuration, do I need to use other software, or is there a bug in the firmware/dll?

                      Yes, the ABPF is disabled.

                    • Sid Boyce
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                        On 03/11/09 12:57, R R Robson wrote:

                        > Thanks - I keep telling folks, my momma didn't raise no typokist!
                        >
                        > That 115 VAC could be a decided disadvantage across the pond. I'll
                        > never forget years ago when I stayed with an Italian family for a summer
                        > and brought them a gift: a beautiful GE clock radio (115 VAC 60 Hz -
                        > analog clock). Lost 10 minutes each hour!
                        >
                        > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                        > What happens in the shack
                        > Stays in the shack!

                        Must have been an analog clock.
                        Luckily I have 3 step down transformers acquired from work, all our
                        scopes and meters were shipped from the USA, so I'm dual voltage ready
                        here. The scopes are switchable, but I mostly run them on the transformer.
                        I once had to loan one to a relative who bought some Christmas lights in
                        Canada, he's since got his own.
                        73 ... Sid.

                        --
                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                          Robert Brown wrote:
                          > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
                          > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
                          > (yet).
                          >
                          > 73s,
                          > Rob
                          > (M0RZF)

                        • jr_dakota
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                            > His site has more downloads that all my other sites put together, I'm
                            > glad he is going to make new designs, we need variety.
                            >

                            > Cecil
                            > k5nwa
                            > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                            > < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >
                            >
                            > Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

                            I can remember when you moved him over from another really slow server that really couldn't handle PDF size files very well. You did everyone a big favor and I for one appreciate it

                            JR
                          • jr_dakota
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                              I use the Hobby Lobby embossing tool also, for 'rework' the trick is to use a piece of thin cardboard with a hole slightly larger than the device you are removing to protect the surrounding circuitry. I made a funnel shaped attachment from stainless steel to concentrate the air/heat flow and use a Triac type 'lamp dimmer' circuit to control the blower speed and heat on the embossing tool (Makes a good soldering pencil heat controller too)

                              I have to give credit where credit is due here, the original idea came from Cash Olsen KD5SSJ which is also a good guy to get SMT paste solder from
                              http://www.kd5ssj.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&Itemid=54

                              JR