Re:FYI Genesis Radio

  • Graeme
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi Rob,

      Some good thoughts here and of course it is not possible to move forward in technology if you don't look at all the aspects of a design so I would like to make a few comments...

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Robert Brown <robbrown@...> wrote:

      > Please don't take this as a snipe at the competition...

      Having an honest appraisal is not seen by any fair minded person as a snipe and I certainly don't see you as sniping. However I guess you do not use the word competition in its true context but rather as indication of another approach.

      > The G3020 doesn't look as good as the Softrock. The mixer is 74HC4066,
      > which has a lower spec than the FST type,

      Yes it looks this way but having a softrock and YU1LM design with the 4066 mixer side by side on my bench I can assure you there is no audio difference and the measured difference is trivial and slightly favours the 4066. Have you noticed that the low channel resistance mixers often have series resistance deliberately inserted for load purposes. Having a higher channel resistance in the 4066 tends to swallow this up.

      the pre-amps used are
      > NE5534, which again are lower spec than the LTC ones.

      Yes no doubt but again in practice there is no discernable difference and their being DIP's give an access to SDR for peopler who can't or just don't want to move to surface mount. I am sure that in future models the audio chip choices will advance and so will the Softrocks too. We are looking at a snapshot in time with the YU1LM being designed first and the Softrock following. They will leapfrog.

      > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
      > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
      > (yet).

      Yes I see you are also looking at the possibilities for the future.

      I would also mention the PSDR software which is a debate on its own. If you are working say an 80 Metre CW competition being "Rock Bound" and able to see the whole CW spectrum and nothing except your carrier frequency shifts as you tune around is a huge advantage over having an offset IF of 9 KHz or so and every time you QSY the band shifts on your screen and the stations you had mentally marked go with them. I guess the perfect receiver would allow you to select modes as an option so you don't wind up with the station you desperately want to work being right in the hum and noise of the centre frequency. Maybe I should convey this to Simon and Terry.

      If someone asked me if they should get a Genesis kit I would advise them to go for it and my response would be the same for a Softrock. For myself I like to roll my own and yes I get ideas and inspiration from both sources and others as well. All these communities have brought me light years ahead of where I would have been on my own.

      73 Graeme ZL2APV

      > 73s,
      > Rob
      > (M0RZF)

    • Tom Peterson
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
        Does Frees have a website? Doing a google search has left me wondering.

        R R Robson wrote:

        > Tom:
        >
        > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
        > temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
        > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
        > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
        > info on that page).
        >
        > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
        > What happens in the shack
        > Stays in the shack!

      • R R Robson
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
          Wishful thinking on my part, Tom --- Fry's

          R R Robson wrote:

          > Tom:
          >
          > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
          > temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
          > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
          > http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
          > info on that page).
          >
          > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
          > What happens in the shack
          > Stays in the shack!

        • Tom Hoflich
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
            I think you want Frys.

            Tom

            www.km5h.com

            R R Robson wrote:

            > Tom:
            >
            > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
            > temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
            > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
            > http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
            > info on that page).
            >
            > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
            > What happens in the shack
            > Stays in the shack!

          • drmail377
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
              Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:

              Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)

              http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

              Same link here:

              http://bit.ly/2e2ET9

              FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.

              73's David WB4ONA

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

              > Tom:
              >
              > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
              >
              > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
              > What happens in the shack
              > Stays in the shack!

            • Dave - WB6DHW
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.

                Dave - WB6DHW
                <http://wb6dhw.com>

                drmail377 wrote:
                > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                >
                > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                >
                > http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                >
                > Same link here:
                >
                > http://bit.ly/2e2ET9
                >
                > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                >
                > 73's David WB4ONA
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:
                >
                >> Tom:
                >>
                >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                >>
                >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                >> What happens in the shack
                >> Stays in the shack!

              • R R Robson
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                  Thanks - I keep telling folks, my momma didn't raise no typokist!

                  That 115 VAC could be a decided disadvantage across the pond.  I'll never forget years ago when I stayed with an Italian family for a summer and brought them a gift: a beautiful GE clock radio (115 VAC 60 Hz - analog clock).  Lost 10 minutes each hour!

                  tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                  What happens in the shack
                  Stays in the shack!
                  Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:

                  Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)

                  http://shop1. frys.com/ product/4825190; jsessionid= JgkkdKH3TaF0Y- KUZY+jHQ* *.node2?site= sr:SEARCH: MAIN_RSLT_ PG

                  Same link here:

                  http://bit.ly/ 2e2ET9

                  FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.

                  73's David WB4ONA

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@.. .> wrote:

                  > Tom:
                  >
                  > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                  >
                  > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                  > What happens in the shack
                  > Stays in the shack!

                • Mike Loebl
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                    I agree 100%. I purchased an Aoyue 2702 after I had issues with my
                    HF transceiver, and wish I had done it earlier! I remember when I got my
                    first SoftRock kit I was worried about soldering the surface mount
                    components (then realized that it was a breeze, and the toroids were the
                    part I truly disliked.) I remember very well when I had the dreaded moment
                    of "the smt IC is backwards", and my stomach sank. After quite a bit of
                    work I was able to get it off, but not without accidentally lifting a pad
                    (thank goodness the green wire worked.) Now I can pull them off in about
                    15s with no damage. Also comes in handy for removing other stuff like
                    connectors that have multiple TH pins. I believe people have successfully
                    used inexpensive hot air guns as some have a narrowing head add-on, you just
                    need to be careful with them as they aren't as temp controllable.

                    73s,

                    -Mike
                    KB1MTS

                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                      I use an embossing heat tool that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $20.00. It works great for repairs and for building the softrocks.

                      You should be able to get the embossing heat tool at most hobby shops.

                      Hope this is helpful.
                      73s
                      Craig AB9IV
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@...> wrote:

                      > For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                      > a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                      > but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                      > clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.
                      >
                      > Dave - WB6DHW
                      > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                      >
                      > drmail377 wrote:
                      > > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                      > >
                      > > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                      > >
                      > > http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                      > >
                      > > Same link here:
                      > >
                      > > http://bit.ly/2e2ET9
                      > >
                      > > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                      > >
                      > > 73's David WB4ONA
                      > >
                      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > >> Tom:
                      > >>
                      > >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                      > >>
                      > >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                      > >> What happens in the shack
                      > >> Stays in the shack!

                    • R R Robson
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                        I use a similar one and fashion a "nozzle" out of aluminum foil which serves to focus the hot air on the part.  Without that, things can get a little dicey due to the melting of the solder on adjacent components.

                        tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                        What happens in the shack
                        Stays in the shack!
                        I use an embossing heat tool that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $20.00. It works great for repairs and for building the softrocks.

                        You should be able to get the embossing heat tool at most hobby shops.

                        Hope this is helpful.
                        73s
                        Craig AB9IV
                        --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@.. .> wrote:

                        > For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                        > a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                        > but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                        > clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.
                        >
                        > Dave - WB6DHW
                        > <http://wb6dhw. com>
                        >
                        > drmail377 wrote:
                        > > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                        > >
                        > > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                        > >
                        > > http://shop1. frys.com/ product/4825190; jsessionid= JgkkdKH3TaF0Y- KUZY+jHQ* *.node2?site= sr:SEARCH: MAIN_RSLT_ PG
                        > >
                        > > Same link here:
                        > >
                        > > http://bit.ly/ 2e2ET9
                        > >
                        > > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                        > >
                        > > 73's David WB4ONA
                        > >
                        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > >> Tom:
                        > >>
                        > >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                        > >>
                        > >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                        > >> What happens in the shack
                        > >> Stays in the shack!

                      • Marciniak, Ed
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009

                          Shorting either of the paddle inputs or hitting MOX button in PowerSDR 1.18 does not cause my RXTX 6.3 to go into transmit. I’m using the PA0FKO SDR1K.dll. Is transmit supported for this configuration, do I need to use other software, or is there a bug in the firmware/dll?

                          Yes, the ABPF is disabled.

                        • Sid Boyce
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                            On 03/11/09 12:57, R R Robson wrote:

                            > Thanks - I keep telling folks, my momma didn't raise no typokist!
                            >
                            > That 115 VAC could be a decided disadvantage across the pond. I'll
                            > never forget years ago when I stayed with an Italian family for a summer
                            > and brought them a gift: a beautiful GE clock radio (115 VAC 60 Hz -
                            > analog clock). Lost 10 minutes each hour!
                            >
                            > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                            > What happens in the shack
                            > Stays in the shack!

                            Must have been an analog clock.
                            Luckily I have 3 step down transformers acquired from work, all our
                            scopes and meters were shipped from the USA, so I'm dual voltage ready
                            here. The scopes are switchable, but I mostly run them on the transformer.
                            I once had to loan one to a relative who bought some Christmas lights in
                            Canada, he's since got his own.
                            73 ... Sid.

                            --
                            Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                            Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                              Robert Brown wrote:
                              > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
                              > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
                              > (yet).
                              >
                              > 73s,
                              > Rob
                              > (M0RZF)

                            • jr_dakota
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                                > His site has more downloads that all my other sites put together, I'm
                                > glad he is going to make new designs, we need variety.
                                >

                                > Cecil
                                > k5nwa
                                > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                > < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >
                                >
                                > Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

                                I can remember when you moved him over from another really slow server that really couldn't handle PDF size files very well. You did everyone a big favor and I for one appreciate it

                                JR
                              • jr_dakota
                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                                  I use the Hobby Lobby embossing tool also, for 'rework' the trick is to use a piece of thin cardboard with a hole slightly larger than the device you are removing to protect the surrounding circuitry. I made a funnel shaped attachment from stainless steel to concentrate the air/heat flow and use a Triac type 'lamp dimmer' circuit to control the blower speed and heat on the embossing tool (Makes a good soldering pencil heat controller too)

                                  I have to give credit where credit is due here, the original idea came from Cash Olsen KD5SSJ which is also a good guy to get SMT paste solder from
                                  http://www.kd5ssj.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&Itemid=54

                                  JR