Re:FYI Genesis Radio

  • vk1aa
    Message 1 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
      I agree with Bob.

      It will take few more months before we can talk Genesis vs. Softrock.

      To put things in perspective, the current (new) Genesis project is just 6 months young (Softrock is in its 5th year).
      Some of softrockers may be surprised to learn that
      Genesis concept was around well before Softrock - back then it was called Avala by YU1LM. Actually, Tasa designed his first SDR radio in 2001 immediately after DL6IAK released his SDR RX software!
      He was also first to practically demonstrate and document switchers/filters application in SDR.
      While Tasa gave away all his designs freely to SDR interested hams
      for their enjoyment, many of his SDR solutions were later implemented in commercial rigs and by hams in US, India and Russia - who built and sold their radios without even acknowledging source.

      Naturally, such a disrespectful rip-off caused Tasa to almost give up
      SDR altogether.

      In March this year I finally managed to convince him to return to designing.
      This was the re-birth of Genesis. Obviously, we lost years, but we'll catch up - because we are working on both hardware and software SDR solutions with the intention to place Genesis kits in mid to high SDR range, both price and performance-wise.

      Our project is well funded, and we already have some ideas
      of how the 'next generation' SDR will look like. But we are not in a hurry, and we'll take one step at time.

      At the moment, our goal is to get the G59 up and running and where we go from there only time will tell.

      To conclude, we have nothing but utmost respect for Softrock and softrockers as well as other ham radio kit producers. And as someone noted here, our ultimate goal is the advancement of ham radio
      enjoyment - in whatever shape or form it may present itself - not to create animosity or unnecessary polarization.

      Nick VK1AA

      > Hi Tom,
      >
      > Well there is nothing to be scared of with SMD components, only takes a short time to perfect the soldering technique, then actually it is a lot easier than using leaded components, in my opinion.
      >
      > For soldering irons, the power is not that important, it's the bit size and preferably use a temperature controller iron, makes life easier.
      >
      > I use a standard Weller 40W iron with a fine bit for the vast majority of my SMD work. The higher power iron is particularly useful when soldering connections to the earth plane.
      >
      > The simple technique for soldering the SMD capacitors is just to melt some solder on one PCB track, then reheat it and place the capacitor, then solder the other end and go back and reflow the first joint. For IC pins, the 'secret' is to have some solder braid (wick) to hand, and if you bridge pins, don't worry about it, just wick off the excess solder afterwards to clean it up and remove any shorts.
      >
      > Certainly optical aids help, as does a decent pair of fine pointed tweezers.
      >
      > As far as the SoftRock versus Genesis debate goes, difficult to compare them really as the SoftRock has evolved considerably and the current generation as superior in many respects.
      >
      > The only real comparison I can make is that I bought a 40/80m SoftRock v6.1 TX/RX kit when that first came out and it cost $33 for a dual band 1W SDR transceiver, the nearest Genesis kit is around $150!
      >
      > The SoftRock v6.3 TX/RX and a set of 4 PA/Filter kits costs $118, giving all HF bands and continuous tuning.
      >
      > It will be interesting to see how the proposed multiband G59 compares to the current SoftRock's.
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Peterson <tom@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Having never in my life soldered a surface mount component, I'm about to
      > > take the plunge. I have sitting here in front of me a Softrock 80M Lite
      > > II to assemble. I'd be much happier if it was all nice bulky through
      > > hole components, but it isn't, and it look as if more and more kit are
      > > going to be surface mount stuff. I've ordered a headband magnifying
      > > visor already, but I suspect my old bulky RS 40W iron isn't going to be
      > > up to the task. What do you lot recommend for soldering surface mount
      > > stuff?
      > >
      > > I've also got one of the little Genesis 1W 30M transmitter kits on the
      > > way. It just looked like it would be fun to build and play with. If
      > > this 80M softrock goes well, I might have to get a 30M version to
      > > compliment the Q5.
      > >
      > > Robert Brown wrote:
      > > > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
      > > > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
      > > > (yet).
      > > >
      > > > 73s,
      > > > Rob
      > > > (M0RZF)

    • KU7Y
      Message 2 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
        Hi Nick,

        I'd like to thank you and all the others who have given so freely of their time and expertise to this SDR project.  It's a true joy to be in a position to see this all going on!

        Job well done!

        OK, back in my hole,

      • Tom Peterson
        Message 3 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
          Thanks for the advice all. I tried building some stuff a few years ago,
          but since the double cataract surgery had pretty much given up on any in
          close detail work. I can't take it any more and just have to try.
        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 26 , Nov 1, 2009
            Hi Nick,

            Thanks very much for the update and background to the project.

            I have been watching Tasa's website for a long time now, and good to hear he has renewed interest. It struck me that designs were a few years old now, so look forward to see what the 'next generation' brings.

            I have had a better opportunity now to play with the 'Genesis' version of PSDR using my SoftRock v9.0 RX, and do like many of the new features, particularly the enlarged panafall display.

            The only area that lets it down at present is the LO frequency control when compared to all other available versions of PSDR, but having said that, as I mainly use Winrad, its not that much of a drawback for me. I guess it is really still biased towards crystal controlled gear, but good to have the USB implementation.

            Keep up the good work, and please pass thanks and appreciation on to Tasa,

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "vk1aa" <nick@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >
            > > 73, Bob G8VOI
            > >

            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tom Peterson <tom@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Having never in my life soldered a surface mount component, I'm about to
            > > > take the plunge. I have sitting here in front of me a Softrock 80M Lite
            > > > II to assemble. I'd be much happier if it was all nice bulky through
            > > > hole components, but it isn't, and it look as if more and more kit are
            > > > going to be surface mount stuff. I've ordered a headband magnifying
            > > > visor already, but I suspect my old bulky RS 40W iron isn't going to be
            > > > up to the task. What do you lot recommend for soldering surface mount
            > > > stuff?
            > > >
            > > > I've also got one of the little Genesis 1W 30M transmitter kits on the
            > > > way. It just looked like it would be fun to build and play with. If
            > > > this 80M softrock goes well, I might have to get a 30M version to

          • jr_dakota
            Message 5 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Robert Brown <robbrown@...> wrote:

              > Please don't take this as a snipe at the competition...
              >
              > The G3020 doesn't look as good as the Softrock. The mixer is 74HC4066,
              > which has a lower spec than the FST type, the pre-amps used are
              > NE5534, which again are lower spec than the LTC ones.
              >
              > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
              > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
              > (yet).
              >
              > 73s,
              > Rob
              > (M0RZF)

              When you look at the **measured** specs of Tasa's designs they rate right up there with the FST designs I've seen measured right up to 30 Mhz .... The use of through hole parts and the 74HC4066 and NE5534 was intentional so everyone around the world had a shot at making one .... Tasa also has some SM designs that use a 74LVC components and designs with AD797 opamps .... I believe the lack of SMT parts was intentional, the target audience is different than the Softrocks and they aren't trying to compete, just expand the involvement in SDR to people who have been left out due to lack of experience in building or poor eyesight

              Tasa takes nothing for granted, he doesn't just hypothesize that his design is going to perform better because he used 'X' component, they are built, documented, and measured ... If you read everything on his website I guarantee you will learn something you didn't know .... Anyone who has been working with QSD's the last 7-8 years has been influenced by Tasa's work whether they realize it or not

              http://yu1lm.qrpradio.com/

              And don't forget to thank K5NWA next time you see him for hosting this site ... Come to think of it didn't he host some stuff for the Softrocks too a few years back?

              JR
            • k5nwa
              Message 6 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                At 05:38 AM 11/2/2009, you wrote:

[...]

                His site has more downloads that all my other sites put together, I'm glad he is going to make new designs, we need variety.

                Cecil
                k5nwa
                www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                http://parts.softrockradio.org/  >

              • Graeme
                Message 7 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                  Hi Rob,

                  Some good thoughts here and of course it is not possible to move forward in technology if you don't look at all the aspects of a design so I would like to make a few comments...

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Robert Brown <robbrown@...> wrote:

                  > Please don't take this as a snipe at the competition...

                  Having an honest appraisal is not seen by any fair minded person as a snipe and I certainly don't see you as sniping. However I guess you do not use the word competition in its true context but rather as indication of another approach.

                  > The G3020 doesn't look as good as the Softrock. The mixer is 74HC4066,
                  > which has a lower spec than the FST type,

                  Yes it looks this way but having a softrock and YU1LM design with the 4066 mixer side by side on my bench I can assure you there is no audio difference and the measured difference is trivial and slightly favours the 4066. Have you noticed that the low channel resistance mixers often have series resistance deliberately inserted for load purposes. Having a higher channel resistance in the 4066 tends to swallow this up.

                  the pre-amps used are
                  > NE5534, which again are lower spec than the LTC ones.

                  Yes no doubt but again in practice there is no discernable difference and their being DIP's give an access to SDR for peopler who can't or just don't want to move to surface mount. I am sure that in future models the audio chip choices will advance and so will the Softrocks too. We are looking at a snapshot in time with the YU1LM being designed first and the Softrock following. They will leapfrog.

                  > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
                  > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
                  > (yet).

                  Yes I see you are also looking at the possibilities for the future.

                  I would also mention the PSDR software which is a debate on its own. If you are working say an 80 Metre CW competition being "Rock Bound" and able to see the whole CW spectrum and nothing except your carrier frequency shifts as you tune around is a huge advantage over having an offset IF of 9 KHz or so and every time you QSY the band shifts on your screen and the stations you had mentally marked go with them. I guess the perfect receiver would allow you to select modes as an option so you don't wind up with the station you desperately want to work being right in the hum and noise of the centre frequency. Maybe I should convey this to Simon and Terry.

                  If someone asked me if they should get a Genesis kit I would advise them to go for it and my response would be the same for a Softrock. For myself I like to roll my own and yes I get ideas and inspiration from both sources and others as well. All these communities have brought me light years ahead of where I would have been on my own.

                  73 Graeme ZL2APV

                  > 73s,
                  > Rob
                  > (M0RZF)

                • Tom Peterson
                  Message 8 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                    Does Frees have a website? Doing a google search has left me wondering.

                    R R Robson wrote:

                    > Tom:
                    >
                    > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
                    > temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
                    > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
                    > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
                    > info on that page).
                    >
                    > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                    > What happens in the shack
                    > Stays in the shack!

                  • R R Robson
                    Message 9 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                      Wishful thinking on my part, Tom --- Fry's

                      R R Robson wrote:

                      > Tom:
                      >
                      > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
                      > temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
                      > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
                      > http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
                      > info on that page).
                      >
                      > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                      > What happens in the shack
                      > Stays in the shack!

                    • Tom Hoflich
                      Message 10 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                        I think you want Frys.

                        Tom

                        www.km5h.com

                        R R Robson wrote:

                        > Tom:
                        >
                        > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is
                        > temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the
                        > Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see
                        > http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful
                        > info on that page).
                        >
                        > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                        > What happens in the shack
                        > Stays in the shack!

                      • drmail377
                        Message 11 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                          Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:

                          Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)

                          http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

                          Same link here:

                          http://bit.ly/2e2ET9

                          FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.

                          73's David WB4ONA

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

                          > Tom:
                          >
                          > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                          >
                          > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                          > What happens in the shack
                          > Stays in the shack!

                        • Dave - WB6DHW
                          Message 12 of 26 , Nov 2, 2009
                            For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                            a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                            but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                            clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.

                            Dave - WB6DHW
                            <http://wb6dhw.com>

                            drmail377 wrote:
                            > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                            >
                            > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                            >
                            > http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                            >
                            > Same link here:
                            >
                            > http://bit.ly/2e2ET9
                            >
                            > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                            >
                            > 73's David WB4ONA
                            >
                            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:
                            >
                            >> Tom:
                            >>
                            >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                            >>
                            >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                            >> What happens in the shack
                            >> Stays in the shack!

                          • R R Robson
                            Message 13 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                              Thanks - I keep telling folks, my momma didn't raise no typokist!

                              That 115 VAC could be a decided disadvantage across the pond.  I'll never forget years ago when I stayed with an Italian family for a summer and brought them a gift: a beautiful GE clock radio (115 VAC 60 Hz - analog clock).  Lost 10 minutes each hour!

                              tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                              What happens in the shack
                              Stays in the shack!
                              Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:

                              Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)

                              http://shop1. frys.com/ product/4825190; jsessionid= JgkkdKH3TaF0Y- KUZY+jHQ* *.node2?site= sr:SEARCH: MAIN_RSLT_ PG

                              Same link here:

                              http://bit.ly/ 2e2ET9

                              FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.

                              73's David WB4ONA

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@.. .> wrote:

                              > Tom:
                              >
                              > Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                              >
                              > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                              > What happens in the shack
                              > Stays in the shack!

                            • Mike Loebl
                              Message 14 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                I agree 100%. I purchased an Aoyue 2702 after I had issues with my
                                HF transceiver, and wish I had done it earlier! I remember when I got my
                                first SoftRock kit I was worried about soldering the surface mount
                                components (then realized that it was a breeze, and the toroids were the
                                part I truly disliked.) I remember very well when I had the dreaded moment
                                of "the smt IC is backwards", and my stomach sank. After quite a bit of
                                work I was able to get it off, but not without accidentally lifting a pad
                                (thank goodness the green wire worked.) Now I can pull them off in about
                                15s with no damage. Also comes in handy for removing other stuff like
                                connectors that have multiple TH pins. I believe people have successfully
                                used inexpensive hot air guns as some have a narrowing head add-on, you just
                                need to be careful with them as they aren't as temp controllable.

                                73s,

                                -Mike
                                KB1MTS

                                Message 15 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                  I use an embossing heat tool that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $20.00. It works great for repairs and for building the softrocks.

                                  You should be able to get the embossing heat tool at most hobby shops.

                                  Hope this is helpful.
                                  73s
                                  Craig AB9IV
                                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@...> wrote:

                                  > For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                                  > a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                                  > but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                                  > clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.
                                  >
                                  > Dave - WB6DHW
                                  > <http://wb6dhw.com>
                                  >
                                  > drmail377 wrote:
                                  > > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                                  > >
                                  > > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                                  > >
                                  > > http://shop1.frys.com/product/4825190;jsessionid=JgkkdKH3TaF0Y-KUZY+jHQ**.node2?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG
                                  > >
                                  > > Same link here:
                                  > >
                                  > > http://bit.ly/2e2ET9
                                  > >
                                  > > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                                  > >
                                  > > 73's David WB4ONA
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >> Tom:
                                  > >>
                                  > >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature-controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                                  > >>
                                  > >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                                  > >> What happens in the shack
                                  > >> Stays in the shack!

                                • R R Robson
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                    I use a similar one and fashion a "nozzle" out of aluminum foil which serves to focus the hot air on the part.  Without that, things can get a little dicey due to the melting of the solder on adjacent components.

                                    tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                                    What happens in the shack
                                    Stays in the shack!
                                    I use an embossing heat tool that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $20.00. It works great for repairs and for building the softrocks.

                                    You should be able to get the embossing heat tool at most hobby shops.

                                    Hope this is helpful.
                                    73s
                                    Craig AB9IV
                                    --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@.. .> wrote:

                                    > For removing multi-pin devices, nothing beats hot air. Anyone know of
                                    > a low cost controllable way. My rework station(Aoyue 968) works great,
                                    > but at about $150 is not cheap! I would like to introduce some of our
                                    > clubs new hams to the joys of homebrewing.
                                    >
                                    > Dave - WB6DHW
                                    > <http://wb6dhw. com>
                                    >
                                    > drmail377 wrote:
                                    > > Hi Robby, you said, "Bellman 19.95 special from Frees". I think you meant:
                                    > >
                                    > > Velleman VTSS5U 50W Solder Station (approx $20 at Frys)
                                    > >
                                    > > http://shop1. frys.com/ product/4825190; jsessionid= JgkkdKH3TaF0Y- KUZY+jHQ* *.node2?site= sr:SEARCH: MAIN_RSLT_ PG
                                    > >
                                    > > Same link here:
                                    > >
                                    > > http://bit.ly/ 2e2ET9
                                    > >
                                    > > FYI, this iron is 115VAC only.
                                    > >
                                    > > 73's David WB4ONA
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > >> Tom:
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Re soldering iron: you definitely want something that is temperature- controlled and preferably with a grounded tip. I use the Bellman 19.95 special from Frees (see http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/sr_ lite_ii/ - there is some fairly helpful info on that page).
                                    > >>
                                    > >> tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                                    > >> What happens in the shack
                                    > >> Stays in the shack!

                                  • Marciniak, Ed
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009

                                      Shorting either of the paddle inputs or hitting MOX button in PowerSDR 1.18 does not cause my RXTX 6.3 to go into transmit. I’m using the PA0FKO SDR1K.dll. Is transmit supported for this configuration, do I need to use other software, or is there a bug in the firmware/dll?

                                      Yes, the ABPF is disabled.

                                    • Sid Boyce
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Nov 3, 2009
                                        On 03/11/09 12:57, R R Robson wrote:

                                        > Thanks - I keep telling folks, my momma didn't raise no typokist!
                                        >
                                        > That 115 VAC could be a decided disadvantage across the pond. I'll
                                        > never forget years ago when I stayed with an Italian family for a summer
                                        > and brought them a gift: a beautiful GE clock radio (115 VAC 60 Hz -
                                        > analog clock). Lost 10 minutes each hour!
                                        >
                                        > tx es 73 de robby wb5rvz
                                        > What happens in the shack
                                        > Stays in the shack!

                                        Must have been an analog clock.
                                        Luckily I have 3 step down transformers acquired from work, all our
                                        scopes and meters were shipped from the USA, so I'm dual voltage ready
                                        here. The scopes are switchable, but I mostly run them on the transformer.
                                        I once had to loan one to a relative who bought some Christmas lights in
                                        Canada, he's since got his own.
                                        73 ... Sid.

                                        --
                                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                                          Robert Brown wrote:
                                          > IMHO the Genesis is a way behind the Softrock. Far too many bulky
                                          > through hole components for my liking, and no 3rd party add-on kits
                                          > (yet).
                                          >
                                          > 73s,
                                          > Rob
                                          > (M0RZF)

                                        • jr_dakota
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, k5nwa <k5nwa@...> wrote:

                                            > His site has more downloads that all my other sites put together, I'm
                                            > glad he is going to make new designs, we need variety.
                                            >

                                            > Cecil
                                            > k5nwa
                                            > www.softrockradio.org www.qrpradio.com
                                            > < http://parts.softrockradio.org/ >
                                            >
                                            > Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

                                            I can remember when you moved him over from another really slow server that really couldn't handle PDF size files very well. You did everyone a big favor and I for one appreciate it

                                            JR
                                          • jr_dakota
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Nov 4, 2009
                                              I use the Hobby Lobby embossing tool also, for 'rework' the trick is to use a piece of thin cardboard with a hole slightly larger than the device you are removing to protect the surrounding circuitry. I made a funnel shaped attachment from stainless steel to concentrate the air/heat flow and use a Triac type 'lamp dimmer' circuit to control the blower speed and heat on the embossing tool (Makes a good soldering pencil heat controller too)

                                              I have to give credit where credit is due here, the original idea came from Cash Olsen KD5SSJ which is also a good guy to get SMT paste solder from
                                              http://www.kd5ssj.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&Itemid=54

                                              JR