Re: [softrock40] Re: New computer

  • Robert McGwier
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
      Yo John!

      That was awesome.

      May the DttSP that we are going to do for the bed of nails computer will
      work on that one as well.

      John is an early adopter of the SDR and an old friend of many of us
      doing work on it, former bossman at Alpha amplifiers and former bigman
      "roadie" for Joe Walsh. Now, with that background, you gotta
      understand, a wicked sense of humor is required. That is the reason
      his significant other has a larger chopped Harley and a larger gun than
      he does, to keep his sense of humor on the run!

      Bob

      Phil Covington wrote:
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@...> wrote:
      >

      >> 4) The relay-based computer was also fascinating as an example of
      >> beautiful home-brewing -- something that is not only possible in ham
      >> radio but also in other electronics fields. But something that seems to
      >> be disappearing these days except in areas like SDR.
      >>
      >> You seem a little bit "uptight" -- just relax and enjoy this great
      >>
      > new way to
      >
      >> have some fun with SDR. ;-)
      >>
      >> 73--John W0UN
      >>

      > Hi John,
      >
      > Thanks for posting the link to the relay computer. It was very
      > interesting to read over the info and watch the video. Cool! Makes
      > me wish I had one :-)
      >

      > 73 de Phil N8VB

      Laziness is the number one inspiration for ingenuity. Guilty as charged!
    • gm4kgk
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, FRANCIS CARCIA <carcia@...> wrote:

        > All we need to do is pay engineering people more than useless bean
        >counters and the tables will turn.

        Right! But who guards the beans?!?!

        Norman
        GM4KGK
      • KD5NWA
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
          Well said.

          Let the party continue. :-)

          At 07:40 AM 3/30/2006, you wrote:
          At 06:30 AM 3/30/2006, Pete wrote:
          Hi all,

          Although I just signed up to the group today I have to say why can't we just
          stick to the subject?

          I believe most of us are here to learn about the advancements with this SDR
          project.  Personally, I'm thrilled that these folks are doing something that will
          benefit all of those that are interested in this type of advancement.

          Look all over the net and you will find that almost all of the hardware / software
          is coming from folks overseas.  While I greatly appreciate their sharing, I wonder
          why we don't see more offerings from folks in the states?  Is it because we are
          too lazy or is it because there aren't that many of us that actually know how to
          write software or design circuits anymore or is it that we have gotten to the point
          of where all we can do is sit back and criticize?  What are you nay sayers contributing?

          I ordered my shiny new SoftRock V6.0 today and can't wait for it's arrival.  Please
          belittle or make fun of this project somewhere else if you don't mind.

          Pete

          WA6DFU

          Hi, Pete--

          Welcome to the world of Software Defined Radio and the SoftRock projects.
          But you have clearly jumped to the WRONG conclusion about my note
          regarding the relay-based computer.   There was no attempt to belittle or
          make fun of anything.  Quite the contrary, the relay-based computer was
          offered as an example of a number of things, but mainly as something
          that would be appreciated in a light-hearted way by the SoftRock group.
          The relay-based computer is a reminder of --

          1)  Just how lucky we are to have the technology to be able to do all of the
          things that are being done with the latest generation of computers.  I am
          especially interested in what can be done at home because I have some old
          patents on 3-dimensional imaging radar called imaging Doppler interferometry
          that involves much of the same sorts of signal processing using complex
          FFTs on quadrature outputs of multiple receivers.  When this work was done
          almost 20 years ago it took an incredible amount of hardware to do what is
          being done by a few components and a common home computer these days.
          So my note was a CELEBRATION of how far we have gone with technology
          since the days of the earliest relay-based computers.

          2)  The relay computer was also shown as an example of what can be
          done with a lot of dedication by an individual.  Demonstrating the kind
          of single-minded focus that is being displayed by many of the people
          working in the entire field of Software Defined Radios.  People like Tony
          Parks, KB9YIG, who I do not know personally, Gerald Youngblood, K5SDR,
          and Bob McGwier, N4HY, both of whom I do know (just to mention a few
          of the many people involved), who have spent countless kilo-hours (mega-hours?)
          working on SDR, much the same way that the Harry Porter must have done
          on his relay-based computer.  The SDR is a prime example of a labor of love
          project of many people not unlike what the relay computer must have been
          for this one individual.

          3)  While I am fairly new to the SoftRock group, I do have four of Tony's
          circuits with additional ones on order.  And I also have an early Flex-Radio
          SDR-1000 from a couple of years ago, so I am very committed to the
          concept of SDR.  (Not to mention 20 years of work in ionospheric physics
          research using the very same computer-based signal processing techniques
          that have made SoftRock possible.)  But what I have noticed is that SDR
          is FUN, FUN, FUN.  The people involved are having a lot fun and are very
          light-hearted about the entire concept.  I felt that most of the SoftRock
          people would ENJOY seeing the kind of dedication that is not unlike their own.

          4)  The relay-based computer was also fascinating as an example of
          beautiful home-brewing -- something that is not only possible in ham
          radio but also in other electronics fields.  But something that seems to
          be disappearing these days except in areas like SDR.

          You seem a little bit "uptight" -- just relax and enjoy this great new way to
          have some fun with SDR.   ;-)

          73--John   W0UN

          Ham radio

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Cecil Bayona
          KD5NWA
          www.qrpradio.com

          I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't; only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...

        • jabauzit
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@...> wrote:

            > Let me know when the SDR1000/SoftRock will run on the computer of
            > my dreams!
            >
            > http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~harry/Relay/index.html

            With such a computer you have to build a SDR using reed relays as the QSD.

            Jean-Claude PJ2BVU
          • FRANCIS CARCIA
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
              we could take a pair of tuning forks turned 90 degrees with contacts on each of the 4 forks.
              Kind of like the early sweep generators with a speaker cone driving a cap and 60 hz on the coil. fc
              jabauzit <jabauzit@...> wrote:
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@...> wrote:

              > Let me know when the SDR1000/SoftRock will run on the computer of
              > my dreams!
              >
              > http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~harry/Relay/index.html

              With such a computer you have to build a SDR using reed relays as the QSD.

              Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

            • k0lvrsbc
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
                Bravo!!

                Coop K0LVR
[...]

                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              • Bill Dumke
                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
                  I had a friend of mine who used to burn out transmit/receive reed
                  switches in I think it was the Ten-Tec Triton IV, if my memory serves me
                  correctly. That was the first or at least one of the first with full
                  break in keying. He kept calling them asking for replacements. They
                  were failing about once every month. The Ten-Tec guy couldn't believe
                  they could be failing that often. He asked him what speed CW he was
                  running. He said, "75 wpm, but I usually coast along at 60 wpm."

                  Bill WB5TCO

                  jabauzit wrote:

                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Let me know when the SDR1000/SoftRock will run on the computer of
                  > > my dreams!
                  > >
                  > > http://www.cs.pdx.edu/~harry/Relay/index.html
                  > <http://www.cs.pdx.edu/%7Eharry/Relay/index.html>
                  > >
                  > With such a computer you have to build a SDR using reed relays as the QSD.
                  >
                  > Jean-Claude PJ2BVU

                  > Ham radio
                  > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Ham+radio&c=1&s=15&.sig=t8IpznzYq-E2LbCrDXaGPQ>

                • W0UN -- John Brosnahan
                  Message 8 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006

                    John is an early adopter of the SDR and an old friend of many of us
                    doing work on it, former bossman at Alpha amplifiers and former bigman
                    "roadie" for Joe Walsh.  Now, with that background, you gotta
                    understand,  a wicked sense of humor is required.  That is the reason
                    his significant other has a larger chopped Harley and a larger gun than
                    he does, to keep his sense of humor on the run!

                    I don't mind if Dr. McGwire insults ME but I must defend
                    my wife from his scurrilous attacks.  While it is true
                    that she has more firepower than I do and even more chain saws,
                    for that matter, it is absolutely NOT true that she rides
                    a bigger chopped Harley than I do.  In fact neither of us
                    ride Harleys at all, but rather BMWs.  She has more interest
                    in performance than tradition, something that all adopters
                    of SDR should be able to understand!    ;-)

                    Lest anyone misunderstand our need for firepower (she has
                    more and bigger firearms than I do) there are occasional
                    sitings of mountain lions in our area, but rattlesnakes
                    are much more common.  But the real problem is with the
                    wild hogs in the back yard -- real ones, not Harleys!
                    Sometimes they come within 10 feet of the hot tub.
                    And not only are there wild  hogs (feral pigs) but there
                    are also wild Russian boars to contend with.  She feels
                    much more comfortable with a 45 or a 357 Magnum close
                    at hand.  And I tend to be much more responsive to her
                    needs as well.

                    Priscilla spent 17 years at StorageTek as an electro-mechanical
                    designer, and she was the only FEMALE principle designer
                    before we moved to the boonies in Texas.  She worked in
                    the tape library system where they stacked up large numbers
                    of DLT drives, that were "fed" with the robot arms that
                    she designed (among other things).  And she also did the
                    Pro/Engineer sheet metal CAD work on the Alpha 99 while
                    we were dating.

                    BTW, she recently returned from a 28 day motorcycle trip
                    through Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala and is already
                    making plans to ride to Panama next January.  She is
                    down to four bikes now but her two favorites are her
                    touring BMW, an R1100RT, and her dual-sport F650GS
                    for riding the back roads of Central America and the
                    Canyonlands of Utah.

                    Best quote from Priscilla -- "If you want to put your
                    175 ft rotating tower right next to the house that's
                    fine with me."

                    What is great about SDR and the SoftRock group is that
                    there is such an eclectic bunch of very talented people
                    here and they are having MEGA-FUN with the latest and
                    greatest of technologies.

                    --John  W0UN

                  • Bill Dumke
                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
                      Now there is a real ham! Amen!

                      Bill WB5TCO

                      W0UN -- John Brosnahan wrote:

                      >> John is an early adopter of the SDR and an old friend of many of us
                      >> doing work on it, former bossman at Alpha amplifiers and former bigman
                      >> "roadie" for Joe Walsh. Now, with that background, you gotta
                      >> understand, a wicked sense of humor is required. That is the reason
                      >> his significant other has a larger chopped Harley and a larger gun than
                      >> he does, to keep his sense of humor on the run!
                      >

                      > I don't mind if Dr. McGwire insults ME but I must defend
                      > my wife from his scurrilous attacks. While it is true
                      > that she has more firepower than I do and even more chain saws,
                      > for that matter, it is absolutely NOT true that she rides
                      > a bigger chopped Harley than I do. In fact neither of us
                      > ride Harleys at all, but rather BMWs. She has more interest
                      > in performance than tradition, something that all adopters
                      > of SDR should be able to understand! ;-)
                      >
                      > Lest anyone misunderstand our need for firepower (she has
                      > more and bigger firearms than I do) there are occasional
                      > sitings of mountain lions in our area, but rattlesnakes
                      > are much more common. But the real problem is with the
                      > wild hogs in the back yard -- real ones, not Harleys!
                      > Sometimes they come within 10 feet of the hot tub.
                      > And not only are there wild hogs (feral pigs) but there
                      > are also wild Russian boars to contend with. She feels
                      > much more comfortable with a 45 or a 357 Magnum close
                      > at hand. And I tend to be much more responsive to her
                      > needs as well.
                      >
                      > Priscilla spent 17 years at StorageTek as an electro-mechanical
                      > designer, and she was the only FEMALE principle designer
                      > before we moved to the boonies in Texas. She worked in
                      > the tape library system where they stacked up large numbers
                      > of DLT drives, that were "fed" with the robot arms that
                      > she designed (among other things). And she also did the
                      > Pro/Engineer sheet metal CAD work on the Alpha 99 while
                      > we were dating.
                      >
                      > BTW, she recently returned from a 28 day motorcycle trip
                      > through Mexico, Belize, and Guatemala and is already
                      > making plans to ride to Panama next January. She is
                      > down to four bikes now but her two favorites are her
                      > touring BMW, an R1100RT, and her dual-sport F650GS
                      > for riding the back roads of Central America and the
                      > Canyonlands of Utah.
                      >
                      > Best quote from Priscilla -- "If you want to put your
                      > 175 ft rotating tower right next to the house that's
                      > fine with me."
                      >
                      > What is great about SDR and the SoftRock group is that
                      > there is such an eclectic bunch of very talented people
                      > here and they are having MEGA-FUN with the latest and
                      > greatest of technologies.
                      >
                      > --John W0UN

                    • Wendell R. Cotton
                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
                        Packing at the hot tub...  where do you put the holster?   =:-O

                        Actually reminds me of an experience I had once in Northern Wyoming.  I was enjoyiong a hot soak after a long hike in the Big Horns one evening when a moose approached and elected to take a sip from my tub.  Not much I could do except say "Hi!  Thirsty?"  I doubt a .357, or a .45 would have been much good.  I am glad it wasn't a wild pig though, we have those here in Calif.  Mooses are generally more friendly.

                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 30, 2006
                          Final notice for the Poisson d'Avril Contest Saturday, April 1.

                          http://www.freewebs.com/poissondavril/index.htm

                          The rules are also available for non-English speakers
                          as well.  So if you only speak pig-Latin or Redneck you
                          will still be able to participate.

                          But most will get the right idea if they just read the rules
                          in English.  But they are also available in Spam and L33t.

                          http://www.freewebs.com/poissondavril/rulesenglish.htm

                          Good luck, but don't be surprised if K1DG wins. Doug always
                          wins since he makes the rules.

                          73 -- John  W0UN