6M / 2M Converters For RX V9.0

  • kb2xj
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
      Assembled both. Sensitivy good - image rejection poor with Rocky. PIC posted.

      Jim - KB2XJ
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 21, 2009
        Hi Jim,

        I am very surprised you are getting poor image rejection using Rocky with the VHF converters, it is more than capable of correcting the sort of errors I have seen. Not sure where you have posted the picture, not in you folder in the photo's section.

        I am seeing image rejection of at least 65dB with the 6m,4m and 2m converters using Rocky.

        The errors have typically fallen in the range of amplitude 0.8 to 1.2 and phase between 11 and 14 degrees.

        PSDR can also compensate for those levels. The only problem I found is using Winrad where currently the amplitude can only be set 1 +/-0.1 and phase +/-6.9 degrees, and therefore with the sliders at their extremes only seeing 30 - 35dB image rejection.

        If you have not done so, with Rocky try clearing the stored I/Q correction values for the band segments you were using and to speed up the process use a signal generator to step across the band to build up new curves.

        I wonder what sort of error levels you are seeing on the amplitude / phase graphs?

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb2xj" <kb2xj@...> wrote:

        > Assembled both. Sensitivy good - image rejection poor with Rocky. PIC posted.
        >
        > Jim - KB2XJ

      • kb2xj
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
          GM Bob

          Results from first tests, I will check both again and look for an error on my part (usually the case). I have assembled many of the SR kits and all work fine! The V9 RX with the auto BPF works great, problem with image rejection only noticed when using the converters. I will check and correct later today. I have pic's posted under my call. I also see the latest in the new photos, I do not know why they do not show up for others. The SR projects have provided me with many hours of fun.

          Jim - KB2XJ

          > Hi Jim,
          >
          > I am very surprised you are getting poor image rejection using Rocky with the VHF converters, it is more than capable of correcting the sort of errors I have seen. Not sure where you have posted the picture, not in you folder in the photo's section.
          >
          > I am seeing image rejection of at least 65dB with the 6m,4m and 2m converters using Rocky.
          >
          > The errors have typically fallen in the range of amplitude 0.8 to 1.2 and phase between 11 and 14 degrees.
          >
          > PSDR can also compensate for those levels. The only problem I found is using Winrad where currently the amplitude can only be set 1 +/-0.1 and phase +/-6.9 degrees, and therefore with the sliders at their extremes only seeing 30 - 35dB image rejection.
          >
          > If you have not done so, with Rocky try clearing the stored I/Q correction values for the band segments you were using and to speed up the process use a signal generator to step across the band to build up new curves.
          >
          > I wonder what sort of error levels you are seeing on the amplitude / phase graphs?
          >
          > 73, Bob G8VOI
          >

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb2xj" <kb2xj@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Assembled both. Sensitivy good - image rejection poor with Rocky. PIC posted.
          > >
          > > Jim - KB2XJ

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2009
            Hi Jim,

            I took a look at the impressive array of photos of your SoftRock's in the photo's section, so my reply was based on the assumption that you did know what you were doing :)

            I think the image rejection problem with the converter can only be something around the transformer T1, not really anything else that can affect it in the converter.

            Will be interested to know what you find,

            ...> wrote:

            > GM Bob
            >
            > Results from first tests, I will check both again and look for an error on my part (usually the case). I have assembled many of the SR kits and all work fine! The V9 RX with the auto BPF works great, problem with image rejection only noticed when using the converters. I will check and correct later today. I have pic's posted under my call. I also see the latest in the new photos, I do not know why they do not show up for others. The SR projects have provided me with many hours of fun.
            >
            > Jim - KB2XJ
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Jim,
            > >
            > > I am very surprised you are getting poor image rejection using Rocky with the VHF converters, it is more than capable of correcting the sort of errors I have seen. Not sure where you have posted the picture, not in you folder in the photo's section.
            > >
            > > I am seeing image rejection of at least 65dB with the 6m,4m and 2m converters using Rocky.
            > >
            > > The errors have typically fallen in the range of amplitude 0.8 to 1.2 and phase between 11 and 14 degrees.
            > >
            > > PSDR can also compensate for those levels. The only problem I found is using Winrad where currently the amplitude can only be set 1 +/-0.1 and phase +/-6.9 degrees, and therefore with the sliders at their extremes only seeing 30 - 35dB image rejection.
            > >
            > > If you have not done so, with Rocky try clearing the stored I/Q correction values for the band segments you were using and to speed up the process use a signal generator to step across the band to build up new curves.
            > >
            > > I wonder what sort of error levels you are seeing on the amplitude / phase graphs?
            > >
            > > 73, Bob G8VOI
            > >

            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb2xj" <kb2xj@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Assembled both. Sensitivy good - image rejection poor with Rocky. PIC posted.
            > > >
            > > > Jim - KB2XJ

          • kb2xj
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 24, 2009
              Hi GRP

              All is in excellent working order!, image rejection working properly on both converters/RX v9.0. Fault found to be with audio jack on the computer (line in). Almost have it worn out, unplug and plug back in took care of the problem. Two more SR kits that work better than expected!!! Phase error 2 degrees on 6M and 7 degrees on 2M with Rocky. Image reduced quickly to a level that I cannot measure (both boards).

              Jim - KB2XJ