Re: [softrock40] anyone using Softrocks for WSPR?

  • Guido
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 6, 2009
    Hello John,

    Yes, it is possible and working nicely with PowerSDR together with the si570 Sdr1kUsb extension DLL. It is important to first accurately calibrate the Si570 with DG8SAQ's tool. Also use VAC and N8VB vCOM virtual serial port driver to connect the WSPR application to PowerSDR. It is working both for RX and TX, but just keep an eye if the BS170 finals aas they can become quite hot after a two minute wishper.

    Actually, it can be even simpler; you do not need an Softrock RXTX v6.3 at all to WSPR:

    With some hacking it is also possible to WSPR just with the output of a Si570. This delivers only 10mW but this is sufficient for some "local" (up to a few 1000kms) of wishpering; it is impressive to see what can be done with such low powers.
    I have modified the ATTINY firmware so that it automatically is wisphering over all HF bands. This firmware can be used in an Softrock V9 receiver or Si570 USB synth. Just to get the idea, please find attached a schematic of the setup and some source code that generates a WSPR code.

    73, Guido
    PE1NNZ

    On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 6:02 PM, shadle <shadle@...> wrote:
    Just wondering if this is possible to do.

    Thanks.
    -john W4PAH
  • David Hutchinson G8SQH
    Message 2 of 11 , Oct 7, 2009
      Javier

      I heard you 5 and 6 October around 2145Z

      I think this is my first softrock TX to softrock RX contact :-)
      73

      --David
      javier_fernandez09142 wrote:

      John:

      I have been using the RxTxv6.3 Softrock with PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.20 and WSPR every since WSPR came about. as a matter of fact, I am at 30m right now, 1w output.

      73 de Javier
      KC2QII

      --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "shadle" <shadle@...> wrote:

      > Just wondering if this is possible to do.
      >
      > Thanks.
      > -john W4PAH

    • m0fmt
      Message 3 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Hutchinson G8SQH <djch-yahoo@...> wrote:

        > Javier
        >

        > I heard you 5 and 6 October around 2145Z
        >
        > I think this is my first softrock TX to softrock RX contact :-)
        > 73
        >
        > --David
        > javier_fernandez09142 wrote:
        > >

        > > John:
        > >
        > > I have been using the RxTxv6.3 Softrock with PowerSDR-IQ 1.12.20 and
        > > WSPR every since WSPR came about. as a matter of fact, I am at 30m
        > > right now, 1w output.
        > >
        > > 73 de Javier
        > > KC2QII
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "shadle" <shadle@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Just wondering if this is possible to do.
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.
        > > > -john W4PAH

        Hi John

        Yes WSPR will run on Softrock I use a SR RX for this by connecting the WSPR application via a VAC to the SDR sofrtware as I do for all decoder work (RX only in my case).

        But please think carefully about using this mode, seriously we in the UK are plagued with this inane mode on 500kc/s (3kc/s allocation). The guy who invented this mode IMHO should be given the Moron of the year award. It is claimed to be a weak signal well if you live within a mile or so of a station running it, it is far from a weak signal. It has the effect of blocking your RX or raising the noise floor on a sporadic basis and continues for days on end. The mode caries little or no intelligence of what there is, is repeated adnausium and it is not a qso mode. It carries no CW ID and judging by the weird call signs that come up on it, it encourages Pirating. The mode is not in the Spirit Amateur Radio. In the conditions stated above it could be viewed as a Jamming Mode.

        Sorry to be an old gripe but this is from experiencing unofficial beaconing which can ruin the bands for regular users.

        73 es GL Petefmt

        THESE ARE MY PERSONAL VIEWS ONLY AND DO NOT REPRESENT ANY OTHER PERSON OR ORGANISATION.
      • javier_fernandez09142
        Message 4 of 11 , Oct 8, 2009
          Pete,

          Sorry to hear about your neighbor's WSPR operation causing interference on your 500 KHz operation. By the way, I am sure that Joe Taylor, K1JT would accept an award for his WSPR program and proudly display it next to his Nobel Prize.

          73 de Javier
          KC2QII

          Message 5 of 11 , Oct 9, 2009
            Hi Javier

            Perhaps I went too far there and I unreservedly withdraw my ill thought through comment and beg your and Joe Taylor's foregiveness.

            And thanks Javier for drawing this to my attention and giving me the opportunity to make my apologies.

            I'll crawl back into my cave now and reflect.

            Vy 73 es GL tu petefmt