Re: Problem with V9.0 RX - No USB

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 29, 2009
      It can't be the same problem as the one I have. My 64 bit machine will not load the driver for the usb interface. I've tried it on another 64 bit machine and have the same problem - driver won't load. The other 32 bit machines I've tried have all worked fine. I have also found out that the path to the needed files is different in XP 64 than it is in the 32 bit version. If I can rewrite the driver I'll post it in the files, for now we just have to do without.

      John Dunlap
      KF7BYU

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Peters <k9jp.radio@...> wrote:

      > Thank you John,
      >
      > It was working fine for about a week. I was using the V9 RX while I was
      > building
      > different plug-in BPF boards. I had full control of the Si570 and with LO
      > frequencies
      > modified in Rocky 3.6 I was able to listen to shortwave and ham bands.
      >
      > Sunday, I turned the computer on first, started Rocky, then powered up the
      > V9,
      > had RTTY signals all over the 20 meter band, and then plugged in the USB
      > cable. Then I got a desktop balloon message that "The USB device could not
      > be recognized". I used the USB Wizard to try and correct the problem and
      > that
      > only ends with a message "Replace the USB Device"
      >
      > I have measured the D+ and D- Zener diodes (hair pin side) and found pin 3
      > or the green usb cable wire at 0.05 V. The white USB cable wire (pin2) at
      > 3.26V.
      >
      > Tonight I will try and measure those points again without the ATtiny85
      > plugged
      > in. My thoughts are the Atmel device is not working.
      >
      > Thanks, Jeff - K9JP
      >
      > On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 11:47 PM, John <uglyoldfart58@...> wrote:
      >

      > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "k9jp_ns8a" <k9jp.radio@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Greetings SoftRock Fans,
      > > >
      > > > I had a working V9.0 RX until last evening.
      > > > I had the unit on the air receiving just fine
      > > > with Rocky3.6. I could change band segments
      > > > and bands with problems.
      > > >
      > > > Today, when I went to use the V9 RX the
      > > > receiver work fine on 40M CW. Lots of RTTY
      > > > signals to hear. The problem is the USB
      > > > control is no longer working. I get an Device
      > > > Error message on my desk top shortly after
      > > > plugging the USB cable into the computer.
      > > > OS is XP SP3.
      > > >
      > > > I have reloaded the Si570 software from Tom's
      > > > DG8SAQ website. When I try the USB Test
      > > > program from his host package file. The
      > > > USB device can not be found. Nearly the same
      > > > message as the XP desktop.
      > > >
      > > > Is there anyone willing to debug/service my
      > > > v9.0 receiver? Can I purchase another programmed
      > > > Atmel ATTiny85 from Tony to give that a try?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for any thoughts and help.
      > > >
      > > > 73, Jeff - K9JP
      > > >

      > > Jeff - Are you running XP 64 bit? If so, I've got the same problem and it
      > > isn't the chip. I even bought another controller from Tony and built it,
      > > only to find out that it too doesn't work in XP 64. Try the USB cable in a
      > > 32 bit version first if that is the case, and I bet it works. At least mine
      > > do (Both of them!).
      > >
      > > 73
      > >
      > > John Dunlap
      > > KF7BYU

    • nico_truter
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2009
        Hi All with same problem,

        I had my V9.0 Rx going for about 3 months and all of a sudden during last weekend, I had the same problem about USB device not recognised.
        I tried most everything I could find on the group notes but not solved.
        I thus decided to update the ATTiny85 to ver 15.11 firmware using my STK500 in Serial High-voltage programming mode. The problem persisted. I made a small test program and established that the ATTiny85 was OK.

        I measured resistance and voltages as per building instructions and all checked out OK, but for one removal/insertion of the chip into the socket on the Rx PC board where I found the voltage on pin 4 (GND!!!) was 1.5 approx volts. Probing the board (not powered!) I discovered that I had at that point no real ground connection on the chip socket.
        I carefully resoldered (with a higher temperature bit), the ground connection on pin 4. At last I then had a good connection to ground. Originally the soldering tip was intended for the SMD components (too cool to do a proper earthplane solder connection) and I must have managed to have a insecure ground connection on the socket which then after time became disconnected causing the AVR chip to not start up when USB connection was made to the PC.
        On powering down PC and restarting with the V9.0 connected to USB port of PC, WinXP SP3 immediately recognized a new USB device DG8SAQ and requested an install of the device.
        I must mention that i have also in the whole process of discovery removed the driver files from the System and System32 Windows directories to try to ensure that a new device will be installed.

        So far many reboots, and start ups of the PC and RX was done without one hiccup of "Device not recognised" AND my RX is working again.

        I suspect that my problem was the "intermittent" and later non-grounded AVR chip (after removing/inserting the Chip in the socket). A bad solder joint on the socket (my own faulty work!) in my opinion was the cause of the faulty USB connection.

        Just to be brave, I also re-flashed the ATTiny85 with Fred PE0FKO 's latest firmware version 15.12 and am presently using this with good success.

        My 1cent contribution for what it is worth; no guarantees it will work for you.
        I would appreciate feedback from WB5RVZ (and others) if the solution for my problem can be contributed to what I have found.
        (Please be gentle and save me from too much flames!)
        Nico ZS1KT

        PS
        Just for good practice, I also re soldered the other 7 pins on the socket (without chip of course).
      • R R Robson
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009

          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 2, 2009
            Hi Rob,

            Thank for the response on my posting. Well if my findings can help, I am happy to contribute.
            So far I had one direct feedback from Earl Rubin VA6TJ about a similar problem.

            I have a problem on clicking through to the USB link as posted in your Groups message. It reports a broken link of some sort.

            Other links to the USB section is fine and working.
            Not sure if I am being silly not to be able to see the update.
            In the construction page for USB the new "caveat" is in red and visible but then I reach that via your home page for V9.0 construction.

            Just a Kudo for you:

            I have never enjoyed so much (and I have grown up with Heathkit kits) to build the Softrock V9 using your so finely detailed instructions. I did things in stages at my leisure and could always at reaching the test section, get a set of test values that similar to the specs of your findings.
            And the details on layout and by photographs etc. were really so easy to follow. Wonder where did you build up such a knack for writing these documents?

            Well done and you can quit your day job and concentrate on any future kits' construction documentation!

            Many thanks again,
            73 Nico zS1KT