Re: NEW NOVEL KTH-SDR I&Q RECEIVER INFO AVAILABLE

  • Rob Brown
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
      WOW !!

      A high tech but classic looking amateur project!!

      Hopefully the receiver lives upto the measurements, I would dearly
      love to replace my Yaesu FT8900 (which has a poor Rx) with something
      having a better IP3.

      The LT5517 looks an ideal chip for doing the mixer at higher
      frequencies than the bus-switches.

      (Obvious question) Are you planning any kind of Tx capability??

      73,
      Rob
      (M0RZF)

      /**************************
      Sorry for any missed emails
      95% of email is now spam!!!
      **************************/
    • s3hampton
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
        (Note; This was mis-posted earlier)

        Good day, all;

        I have several SoftRock related items and kits available, as I simply do not have the time to play with this fine family of products. (I have two of the RXTXv6.3 units, as an example.) I will list the items as follows:

        [A] RXTXv6.3 Radio #1
        The v6.3 RXTX+Xtall transceiver kit provides a 1 watt SDR transceiver with all HF ham band coverage. Sixteen center frequencies are programmed into the PIC on the RXTX board to provide one or more center frequencies on each of the HF ham bands. The kit is supplied with four BPF kits for HF band coverage on receive. One or more of the PA/Filter kits are required in order to transmit on any of the HF ham bands. A CMOS Si570 is included with kit. A USB I2C interface kit is also available.

        RXTXv6.3 is fully assembled and it works nicely!
        - 80/40 Meter PA/Filter kit is assembled and plugged in
        - Un-opened 30/20/17 Meter PA/Filter kit is included
        - 80/40 Meter RX RF bandpass filter is assembled and plugged in
        - The other three RX RF bandpass filter kits are included
        - Mounted in a plastic box, about 6.25 x 3.75 x 2.0 inches
        - RXTXv6.3 is assembled and mounted in box
        - USB-I2C is assembled and mounted in box
        - USB and the two I/Q cables with 1/8" connectors are all mounted in box
        - SO-239 RF connector mounted in box
        - 12 Volt DC connector is mounted in box
        - Mating 12 Volt cable is included

        [B] RXTXv6.3 Radio #2
        The v6.3 RXTX+Xtall transceiver kit provides a 1 watt SDR transceiver with all HF ham band coverage. Sixteen center frequencies are programmed into the PIC on the RXTX board to provide one or more center frequencies on each of the HF ham bands. The kit is supplied with four BPF kits for HF band coverage on receive. One or more of the PA/Filter kits are required in order to transmit on any of the HF ham bands. A CMOS Si570 is included with kit. A USB I2C interface kit is also available.

        RXTXv6.3 MAIN BOARD is fully assembled; RX tested only
        - 80/40 Meter PA/Filter kit is MOSTLY assembled and plugged in
        - 80/40 Meter PA/Filter kit is untested, as it needs two more coils mounted
        - All parts are included to complete the 80/40 Meter PA/Filter kit
        - 80/40 Meter RF bandpass filter is assembled and plugged in
        - The other three RX RF bandpass filter kits are included
        - The RECEIVE function is tested as GOOD!
        - PINS are added to the RXTXv6.3 board for easy interface plans

        [C] USB I2C Interface Kit kit (Unopened kit)
        The USB I2C interface kit provides a means of setting the Si570 LO function on the v6.3 RXTX board to any desired center frequency via a USB connection to the board. Additionally the USB I2C interface kit provides a push-to-talk output to PTT I of the RXTX board for receive/transmit switching and also provides paddles input for CW operation.

        [D] 30/17/20 Meter PA/Filter kit (Unopened kit)
        The 30m/20m/17m PA/Filter kit plugs on top of the v6.3 RXTX+Xtall to provide one watt 30m, 20m and 17m transmit of any mode provided by the SDR software.

        [E] Delta-44 PCI-card audio board/system
        The Delta 44 Interface Module plugs into to the Delta 44's 15-pin connector and provides four 1/8" stereo jacks for audio inputs and outputs to/from the sound card. The module also provides jumper-selectable return connections for each stereo channel. This kit comes pre-assembled.

        - Original box, etc.
        - Stereo in and out; Works with the SoftRock RXTXv6.3
        I paid $137 for the NEW Delta-44 system

        [F] Delta 44 Interface Module (Assembled)
        - Allows an easy and clean hookup
        - With this, one does not have to use the large Delta-44 "breakout box"

        [G] Creative Labs X-Fi USB external sound card
        - Stereo in and out; Works with the SoftRock RXTXv6.3
        - All parts, etc. are included
        - Original box
        I paid $67 for the NEW system

        I carefully assembled the items that are defined as such.
        The two audio boards (Delta and X-Fi) were mounted or used, and tested as OK for the RXTXv6.3 units.

        I am asking $400 for all above, plus $15 shipping (Items A through G) to the USA
        (Please contact me for other locations.)

        See images at the following two locations:
        (Active RXTXv6.3!)=> http://s3com.net/RXTX-web/RXTXv6.3.html
        (All included items)=> http://s3com.net/sdr-html/sdr.html

        Mike KØJTA
        mike (at) s3com.net
      • s3hampton
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
          Good day, all;

          I have several SoftRock related items and kits available, as I simply do not have the time to play with this fine family of products. (I have two of the RXTXv6.3 units, as an example.) I will list the items, gathered into "packages," as follows:

          ============ "A" PACKAGE ============================================

          [A-1] RXTXv6.3 Radio #1
[...]

          [A-2] Delta-44 PCI-card audio board/system
          - Original box, etc.
          - Stereo in and out; Works with the SoftRock RXTXv6.3
          - Includes all, including the BREAKOUT BOX

          [A-3] Delta 44 Interface Module (Assembled)
          The Delta 44 Interface Module plugs into to the Delta 44's 15-pin connector and provides four 1/8" stereo jacks for audio inputs and outputs to/from the sound card. The module also provides jumper-selectable return connections for each stereo channel. This kit comes pre-assembled.
          - Allows an easy and clean hookup
          - One does not have to use the large Delta-44 "breakout box"

          I am asking $240 for items A-1 through A-3 above, plus shipping

          ============ "B" PACKAGE ============================================

          [B-1] RXTXv6.3 Radio #2
[...]

          [B-2] Creative Labs X-Fi USB external sound card
          - Stereo in and out; Works with the SoftRock RXTXv6.3
          - All parts, etc. are included
          - Original box

          [B-3] USB I2C Interface Kit kit (Unopened kit)
          The USB I2C interface kit provides a means of setting the Si570 LO function on the v6.3 RXTX board to any desired center frequency via a USB connection to the board. Additionally the USB I2C interface kit provides a push-to-talk output to PTT I of the RXTX board for receive/transmit switching and also provides paddles input for CW operation.

          I am asking $160 for items items B-1 through B-3 above, plus shipping

          ============ "C" PACKAGE ============================================

          [C-1] 30/17/20 Meter PA/Filter kit (Unopened kit)
          The 30m/20m/17m PA/Filter kit plugs on top of the v6.3 RXTX+Xtall to provide one watt 30m, 20m and 17m transmit of any mode provided by the SDR software.

          I am asking $15 for item C-1 above, plus shipping

          I am asking $410 for ALL 3 packages, INCLUDING SHIPPING to the USA.
          (For all items in "A" package, "B" package and "C" package)

          If you live elsewhere, I will ship for "actual cost" minus US$15
          EXAMPLE: Your shipping cost=$40 Deduct $15; Your shipping = $25

          See images at the following two locations:
          (Active RXTXv6.3!)=> http://s3com.net/RXTX-web/RXTXv6.3.html
          (All above items)=> http://s3com.net/sdr-html/sdr.html

          Mike KOJTA
          mike (at) s3com.net
        • Sivan
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 29, 2009
            Thanks for sharing this interesting project.

            I have a question and a comment.

            The question: given that the LT5517 works so well down to 3.5Mhz, why do you think that Linear only specifies it for 40MHz and up? It's possible that they simply did not test it below 40, but I am wondering whether there is some tradeoff lurking somewhere.

            The comment is that given the package of the LT5517 (QFN40) and the relatively large number of parts on the RF board, this circuit might work better if you sell it as an assembled board rather than a kit. For a kit, you would need to cut parts from many different SMD tapes, label each cut piece, and assemble them into kits. This seems like a lot of work. On the other hand, board assembly is not too expensive (I guess it might run around $10-20 per board if you order more than about 200, so the assembly would probably not have a big impact on the overall price). If choose this approach, it might make sense to put the demodulator and the RF filters on one board, to reduce assembly costs, and to have the rest (microcontroller board, motherboard) as a kit.

            I like the use of the USB PIC, which allows users to upgrade the firmware without an in-circuit programmer and without opening the box.

            Sivan

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "jorschei" <kthkit@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            > An NEW novel wideband KTH-SDR direct conversion I & Q receiver info is now available. The receiver front-end is based on de the LINEAR I & Q demodulator LT5517. Frequency range from 3.5 MHz till 450 MHz.
            >
            > The receiver is built modular with the Si570 LVDS synthesizer, 7 HF sub octave band pass and one 50 MHz RF filter. A VHF/UHF module for 137-145 MHz and 70 cm band is under construction.
            >
            > Features; USB tuning, LCD display, Encoder tuning, Frequency Memory, Tuning step and RF Attenuator. The modules are placed on a EURO card motherboard in the Aluminum housing. The receiver can work with POWER-SDR and Rocky 3.6.
            >
            > The info can be found on PA0RWE site in English and in Dutch 2 full-published articles in the Dutch QRP club newsletter (nieuwsbrief) number 128 and 131 with schematics
            > software description and photos.
            >
            > 73' Joris PE1KTH
            >
            > http://home.hetnet.nl/~rw.engberts/sdr_kth.htm

          • jorschei
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
              Sivan, thanks you for your input comments.

              The KTH-SDR is an experimental receiver.
              The LINEAR I&Q demodulator is specified for 40 MHz up too 800 MHz.
              An other document from LINEAR specified for 13.0 MHz for ISM purpose.
              No company tell us radio amateurs exactly watt is in there chips we are not the market and because of competition problems. So the specs are focused on mass consumer products and most of them work on higher frequencies.

              We have tested 3 LT5517 and it was possible to use the demodulator down to 3.5
              MHz and some time till 1.8 MHz bud that is uncertain .
              The phase and amplitude accuracy on 3.5 MHz where excellent as well as the sensitivity.
              We found the LT5517 an excellent chip for this purpose.
              Your comment on one PCB for the whole design we have considered that.
              Bud every design is a compromise and we chose for a modular design.
              The reason;
              - Very flexible universal modules and no messy PCB after many modifications.
              - User can optmische the filter module for his one purpose.
              - Lave out the HF or UHF module.
              - The receiver keeps the quality when a module is replaced
              - Easy to understand structure.
              Pre assembled PIC and PLACE kits are only possible for large numbers but too costly
              for low numbers.

              73' Joris PE1KTH
            • Bob Schoonover
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
                Hello:
                   Do you accept PayPal?  If so, please send me a PayPal invoice for A package  (A-1 thru A-3).  I will forward $$$ immediately upon receipt of invoice.
                Thank you
                Bob   aka   K4BOB

                BEST REGARDS BOB  SCHOONOVER
                bbschnvr@...
                SASS     # 82866
                AMA       # 879936
                AMYA     # 14666
                ARRL     # 3000031169
                IMPBA    # 19930S
                NAMBA  # 293

                I have several SoftRock related items and kits available, as I simply do not have the time to play with this fine family of products. (I have two of the RXTXv6.3 units, as an example.) I will list the items, gathered into "packages," as follows:
                ============ ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ========= ===

                ============ "A" PACKAGE ============ ========= ========= ========= =====

                [A-1] RXTXv6.3 Radio #1
[...]

              • Tony Parks
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
                  Hi Bob,

                  Please see my website for kits currently available.  I do accept PayPal but ask people to order from my website since it helps very much in record keeping and getting kits mailed in a timely way.

                  Thanks for your interest in the kits.

                  73,
                  Tony Parks
                  kb9yig@...
                  http://www.kb9yig.com

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 30, 2009
                    ALL of the Softrock (RXTXv6.3) related devices have been sold.
                    Thank you for your attention.
                    -Mike- KOJTA