6m / 2m Converter Kit for SoftRock v9.0 Receiver AVAILABLE NOW

  • Frank
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 29 7:48 AM

      Hello all,

      The long awaited 6m / 2m Converter Kit for SoftRock v9.0 Receiver is available at this moment

      29 September 14:45 UTC , orders via http://www.kb9yig.com/

      73 de Frank PH2M

    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 29 8:22 AM
        Good Morning All,

        I have made 30 6m_2m Converter kits available on my website for shipment on or before Septmeber 30.  By October 1 I will have the parts in hand for 120 more of the 6m_2m Converter kits which I will try to make available on Thursday and Friday of this week.

        I am back to being out of the CMOS Si570 devices although I have 115 pieces on order.  Shipment of v9.0 receiver kits and V6.3 transceiver kits will go on hold until I receive additional Si570 devices.  Other kits that do not require the Si570 will be available when I have time to pack the kits.

        Thanks and 73,
        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...
        http://www.kb9yig.com

        On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:48 +0200, Frank wrote:

        Hello all,

        The long awaited 6m / 2m Converter Kit for SoftRock v9.0 Receiver is available at this moment

        29 September 14:45 UTC , orders via http://www.kb9yig.com/

        73 de Frank PH2M

      • Rein A
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 29 9:44 AM
          Hi Tony,

          I have been buying Softrock kits from the very beginning when you
          started this project and have been often expressing my appreciation
          for all what you have been doing over the years and all for free!

          Last week I saw on your page that the 2 m converter was NOT
          available and that I had to wait. I wrote you that I was interested.
          Fine no problem and I was not able to get in line.

          I understood that I had to wait with ordering, there was no option.

          Now again, I can't order.

          I appreciate very much the efforts and All the problems you
          are having to get parts in a country with 15 % unemployment
          under utilization of production capacities, etc etc.

          Certainly not your mistake!

          You control, I think, the ordering process though.

          But now at this very moment, again no possibility to get to order.
          In the old days I just wrote you an email, 3 minutes later made a PayPal payment and I knew I was in business.

          What are you suggesting I do, wait and see another 120 pieces being
          go out the door? Seeing messages "I got one"

          I can also understand that if you got payment for 20 units and
          I did not make a payment that i have to wait, fine.

          I apologize for this email but I am frustrated by not being able to get in line....

          73 Rein W6SZ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

          > Good Morning All,
          >
          > I have made 30 6m_2m Converter kits available on my website for shipment
          > on or before Septmeber 30. By October 1 I will have the parts in hand
          > for 120 more of the 6m_2m Converter kits which I will try to make
          > available on Thursday and Friday of this week.
          >
          > I am back to being out of the CMOS Si570 devices although I have 115
          > pieces on order. Shipment of v9.0 receiver kits and V6.3 transceiver
          > kits will go on hold until I receive additional Si570 devices. Other
          > kits that do not require the Si570 will be available when I have time to
          > pack the kits.
          >
          > Thanks and 73,
          > Tony Parks
          > kb9yig@...
          > http://www.kb9yig.com
          >

          > On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:48 +0200, Frank wrote:
          >

          > > Hello all,
          > >

          > > The long awaited 6m / 2m Converter Kit for SoftRock v9.0 Receiver is
          > > available at this moment
          > >
          > > 29 September 14:45 UTC , orders via http://www.kb9yig.com/
          > >

          > > 73 de Frank PH2M

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 29 10:09 AM
            Hi Rein,

            I will actually will have a few more of the Converter kits above the 120 later this week.  If you are unable to order what you want at that time, please contact me again to order a kit directly.

            My website is helping me do a better job in keeping shipping records and in shipping kits in a timely way.

            Thanks and 73,
            Tony Parks
            kb9yig@...
            http://www.kb9yig.com

          • Ronald Wagner
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 29 10:28 AM

              Are they really all gone by 10:30 PDT!?!?!

              Ron

              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 29 10:45 AM

                HI Tony
                pse confirme one kit for me.
                till now not received

                KB9YIG Order #13779

                tnx.

                Jacob

                kb9yig@gmail. com
                http://www.kb9yig. com

                On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:44 +0000, Rein A wrote:
                Hi Tony,

                I have been buying Softrock kits from the very beginning when you
                started this project and have been often expressing my appreciation
                for all what you have been doing over the years and all for free!

                Last week I saw on your page that the 2 m converter was NOT
                available and that I had to wait. I wrote you that I was interested.
                Fine no problem and I was not able to get in line.

                I understood that I had to wait with ordering, there was no option.

                Now again, I can't order.

                I appreciate very much the efforts and All the problems you
                are having to get parts in a country with 15 % unemployment
                under utilization of production capacities, etc etc.

                Certainly not your mistake!

                You control, I think, the ordering process though.

                But now at this very moment, again no possibility to get to order.
                In the old days I just wrote you an email, 3 minutes later made a PayPal payment and I knew I was in business.

                What are you suggesting I do, wait and see another 120 pieces being
                go out the door? Seeing messages "I got one"

                I can also understand that if you got payment for 20 units and
                I did not make a payment that i have to wait, fine.

                I apologize for this email but I am frustrated by not being able to get in line....

                73 Rein W6SZ

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                > Good Morning All,
                >
                > I have made 30 6m_2m Converter kits available on my website for shipment
                > on or before Septmeber 30. By October 1 I will have the parts in hand
                > for 120 more of the 6m_2m Converter kits which I will try to make
                > available on Thursday and Friday of this week.
                >
                > I am back to being out of the CMOS Si570 devices although I have 115
                > pieces on order. Shipment of v9.0 receiver kits and V6.3 transceiver
                > kits will go on hold until I receive additional Si570 devices. Other
                > kits that do not require the Si570 will be available when I have time to
                > pack the kits.
                >
                > Thanks and 73,
                > Tony Parks
                > kb9yig@...
                > http://www.kb9yig.com
                >

                > On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:48 +0200, Frank wrote:
                >

                > > Hello all,
                > >

                > > The long awaited 6m / 2m Converter Kit for SoftRock v9.0 Receiver is
                > > available at this moment
                > >
                > > 29 September 14:45 UTC , orders via http://www.kb9yig.com/
                > >

                > > 73 de Frank PH2M

              • John Long
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 29 10:59 AM

                  They were actually all gone before I received Tony’s E-Mail.

                  Another ham posted (just before Tony’s e-mail got distributed) that he saw the new kits and in less than 30 minutes they were all sold out.

                  John

                  KW7A

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 29 11:13 AM

                    And in another time zone, I was asleep!! Maybe next time.  . .!

                    Peter (in New Zealand)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 29 11:47 AM

                      I should add that I’m not complaining, just disappointed.

                      Keep up the good work, Tony!  We’ll probably all score next time.

                      Ron

                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 29 7:45 PM
                        Hi Rein,
                        I understand your frustation, as I am going through the same. We all appreciate the good work of Tony Park but we must find a solution to the supply/availability of kits.I have s few suggestions:
                        a) Tony should take pre-orders and fullfil these at a reasonable profit.
                        b) Ask for volunteers who can help him in procuring parts and dispatching kits.
                        c) Give the rights to other people to produce and sell these kits at no profit basis.For example in my country the cost of PCB production for 100 pieces (e.g TXRX V6.3) is only 1 US$and postage to any part of the world is less than $5.
                        Let us other's opinions as well.

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rein A" <rein0zn@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Tony,
                        >

                        > I have been buying Softrock kits from the very beginning when you
                        > started this project and have been often expressing my appreciation
                        > for all what you have been doing over the years and all for free!
                        >
                        > Last week I saw on your page that the 2 m converter was NOT
                        > available and that I had to wait. I wrote you that I was interested.
                        > Fine no problem and I was not able to get in line.
                        >
                        > I understood that I had to wait with ordering, there was no option.
                        >
                        > Now again, I can't order.
                        >
                        > I appreciate very much the efforts and All the problems you
                        > are having to get parts in a country with 15 % unemployment
                        > under utilization of production capacities, etc etc.
                        >
                        > Certainly not your mistake!
                        >
                        > You control, I think, the ordering process though.
                        >
                        > But now at this very moment, again no possibility to get to order.
                        > In the old days I just wrote you an email, 3 minutes later made a PayPal payment and I knew I was in business.
                        >
                        > What are you suggesting I do, wait and see another 120 pieces being
                        > go out the door? Seeing messages "I got one"
                        >
                        > I can also understand that if you got payment for 20 units and
                        > I did not make a payment that i have to wait, fine.
                        >
                        > I apologize for this email but I am frustrated by not being able to get in line....
                        >

                        > 73 Rein W6SZ
                        >

                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > Good Morning All,
                        > >
                        > > I have made 30 6m_2m Converter kits available on my website for shipment
                        > > on or before Septmeber 30. By October 1 I will have the parts in hand
                        > > for 120 more of the 6m_2m Converter kits which I will try to make
                        > > available on Thursday and Friday of this week.
                        > >
                        > > I am back to being out of the CMOS Si570 devices although I have 115
                        > > pieces on order. Shipment of v9.0 receiver kits and V6.3 transceiver
                        > > kits will go on hold until I receive additional Si570 devices. Other
                        > > kits that do not require the Si570 will be available when I have time to
                        > > pack the kits.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks and 73,
                        > > Tony Parks
                        > > kb9yig@
                        > > http://www.kb9yig.com
                        > >

                        > > On Tue, 2009-09-29 at 16:48 +0200, Frank wrote:
                        > >

                        > > > Hello all,
                        > > >

                        > > > The long awaited 6m / 2m Converter Kit for SoftRock v9.0 Receiver is
                        > > > available at this moment
                        > > >
                        > > > 29 September 14:45 UTC , orders via http://www.kb9yig.com/
                        > > >

                        > > > 73 de Frank PH2M

                      • Charlie , W5COV
                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 29 8:11 PM
                          What Tony is doing is absolutely amazing in the kit world . The demand is just quite overwhelming . I can't even think of ANY kits on the market that could do any better than what Tony is doing .

                          It has to be extremely difficult , just to guess how many parts to order for what and have to pay for them . Then he has absolutely no control over lead and delivery times .

                          I admire what he does accomplish all on his own . It is probably a business best run by one person , just as he does it .

                          If I lived closer to him , I would indeed volunteer to help him "package" the kits , or even take them to the post office for him , but I doubt that would speed the process up very much , given all of the variables that he has to deal with .

                          If he does come up with a different method , I would volunteer to help in any way that I could .

                          GREAT JOB TONY !!

                          Charlie , W5COV
                        • Paul Playford
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 29 8:15 PM
                            You made a much better reply than mine (that I deleted).  Thank you.

                            de Paul, W8AEF

                            ZF2JI/ZF2TA  FO8DX/FO8PLA  8Q7AA  XZ0A  VU7RG  TX5D

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 29 8:32 PM
                              Amazing indeed :)

                              I refrain from telling Tony that he could for "a lot less trouble" experience the same delight from a simple trip down to the pier with three crackers and a wink at the seagulls.

                              Though it could never be enough, thank you again Tony.

                              -- Charles WC5MC

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Charlie , W5COV" <cvest@...> wrote:

                              > What Tony is doing is absolutely amazing in the kit world . The demand is just quite overwhelming . I can't even think of ANY kits on the market that could do any better than what Tony is doing .
                              >
                              > It has to be extremely difficult , just to guess how many parts to order for what and have to pay for them . Then he has absolutely no control over lead and delivery times .
                              >
                              > I admire what he does accomplish all on his own . It is probably a business best run by one person , just as he does it .
                              >
                              > If I lived closer to him , I would indeed volunteer to help him "package" the kits , or even take them to the post office for him , but I doubt that would speed the process up very much , given all of the variables that he has to deal with .
                              >
                              > If he does come up with a different method , I would volunteer to help in any way that I could .
                              >
                              > GREAT JOB TONY !!
                              >
                              > Charlie , W5COV

                            • g8voip
                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 29 11:24 PM
                                Hi Guys,

                                Tony's current web based ordering system is really a far better solution to that which he originally operated. By only offering the kits for sale when they are fully kitted and available to post, must make Tony and his wifes life a little easier, which to me is the most important thing.

                                Previously, when orders were accepted continiously, considerable backlogs of a month or more often built up whilst waiting for long lead items, which caused considerably even more work, and was more likely to result in errors and lost orders. Likewise, also having to answer more queries from those who had placed the orders chasing them up.

                                Please remember, Tony is doing this 'for fun' as a 'hobby' in his retirement. If you do the sums for yourself, the profit per kit is minimal, so certainly not being run as a money making business.

                                Having supplied probably well in excess of 15,000 kits by now, I really do think Tony is in the best position to determine how to run his operation to suit himself. These numbers are probably much higher than many 'commercial' kit suppliers could ever dream of!

                                At present it is obvious that the demand still far exceeds the rate Tony is able to offer the kits, so whilst I fully appreciate the frustration of having to wait to place orders, obviously there are some very impatient individuals out there, but the nature of some of the postings made does little to help.

                                Please think before you type,

                                73, Bob G8VOI

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "mahmoodfe" <mahmoodfe@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Rein,
                                > I understand your frustation, as I am going through the same. We all appreciate the good work of Tony Park but we must find a solution to the supply/availability of kits.I have s few suggestions:
                                > a) Tony should take pre-orders and fullfil these at a reasonable profit.
                                > b) Ask for volunteers who can help him in procuring parts and dispatching kits.
                                > c) Give the rights to other people to produce and sell these kits at no profit basis.For example in my country the cost of PCB production for 100 pieces (e.g TXRX V6.3) is only 1 US$and postage to any part of the world is less than $5.
                                > Let us other's opinions as well.
                                >
                                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Rein A" <rein0zn@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi Tony,
                                > >

                                > > I have been buying Softrock kits from the very beginning when you
                                > > started this project and have been often expressing my appreciation
                                > > for all what you have been doing over the years and all for free!
                                > >
                                > > Last week I saw on your page that the 2 m converter was NOT
                                > > available and that I had to wait. I wrote you that I was interested.
                                > > Fine no problem and I was not able to get in line.
                                > >
                                > > I understood that I had to wait with ordering, there was no option.
                                > >
                                > > Now again, I can't order.
                                > >
                                > > I appreciate very much the efforts and All the problems you
                                > > are having to get parts in a country with 15 % unemployment
                                > > under utilization of production capacities, etc etc.
                                > >
                                > > Certainly not your mistake!
                                > >
                                > > You control, I think, the ordering process though.
                                > >
                                > > But now at this very moment, again no possibility to get to order.
                                > > In the old days I just wrote you an email, 3 minutes later made a PayPal payment and I knew I was in business.
                                > >
                                > > What are you suggesting I do, wait and see another 120 pieces being
                                > > go out the door? Seeing messages "I got one"
                                > >
                                > > I can also understand that if you got payment for 20 units and
                                > > I did not make a payment that i have to wait, fine.
                                > >
                                > > I apologize for this email but I am frustrated by not being able to get in line....
                                > >

                                > > 73 Rein W6SZ
                                > >

                                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > Good Morning All,
                                > > >
                                > > > I have made 30 6m_2m Converter kits available on my website for shipment
                                > > > on or before Septmeber 30. By October 1 I will have the parts in hand
                                > > > for 120 more of the 6m_2m Converter kits which I will try to make
                                > > > available on Thursday and Friday of this week.
                                > > >
                                > > > I am back to being out of the CMOS Si570 devices although I have 115
                                > > > pieces on order. Shipment of v9.0 receiver kits and V6.3 transceiver
                                > > > kits will go on hold until I receive additional Si570 devices. Other
                                > > > kits that do not require the Si570 will be available when I have time to
                                > > > pack the kits.
                                > > >
                                > > > Thanks and 73,
                                > > > Tony Parks
                                > > > kb9yig@
                                > > > http://www.kb9yig.com

                              • vk7oo
                                Message 15 of 19 , Sep 30 2:30 AM
                                  I agree with these sentiments, Tony is and has done a fantastic job.
                                  I see only two problems with the current ordering system.
                                  Firstly there is no reliable way for Tony to determine demand or which kits are most needed. How quickly a few dozen kits sell out only reinforces the fact that demand is extremely high.
                                  Secondly, some of us are always going to miss out in the frantic buying frenzy, simply because we are not aggressive enough, in the wrong time zone or disadvantaged by a slow or unreliable internet connection.
                                  I'm not suggesting we return to the the old system, maybe there is room on Tony's website for "expressions of interest" where a database could collect "intentions to purchase" for various items that are out of stock. Thereafter when stock becomes available AND before it is made available on the website, a notice could be emailed to those on the list that they have 24 hrs to respond & place a priority order.
                                  This makes the website more complex to administer, but maybe it's a solution.

                                  Steve VK7OO

                                  > Hi Guys,
                                  >
                                  > Tony's current web based ordering system is really a far better solution to that which he originally operated. By only offering the kits for sale when they are fully kitted and available to post, must make Tony and his wifes life a little easier, which to me is the most important thing.
                                  >
                                  > Previously, when orders were accepted continiously, considerable backlogs of a month or more often built up whilst waiting for long lead items, which caused considerably even more work, and was more likely to result in errors and lost orders. Likewise, also having to answer more queries from those who had placed the orders chasing them up.
                                  >
                                  > Please remember, Tony is doing this 'for fun' as a 'hobby' in his retirement. If you do the sums for yourself, the profit per kit is minimal, so certainly not being run as a money making business.
                                  >
                                  > Having supplied probably well in excess of 15,000 kits by now, I really do think Tony is in the best position to determine how to run his operation to suit himself. These numbers are probably much higher than many 'commercial' kit suppliers could ever dream of!
                                  >
                                  > At present it is obvious that the demand still far exceeds the rate Tony is able to offer the kits, so whilst I fully appreciate the frustration of having to wait to place orders, obviously there are some very impatient individuals out there, but the nature of some of the postings made does little to help.
                                  >
                                  > Please think before you type,
                                  >
                                  > 73, Bob G8VOI

                                • Tony Parks
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Sep 30 3:59 AM
                                    Thanks Bob for the kind words.

                                    My current system works pretty well but I do get ahead of my website by offering kits that I think I can have ready the next day.  This sometimes results in being late on filling a kit order by a few days.

                                    PayPal orders where the funds are not immediately available sometime get lost in the group of orders that have not been paid for.  My website automatically marks a PayPal order paid if the funds are immediately available but does not mark an order paid if the PayPal funds are delayed.  This can result in a long delay before kits of an order are shipped since I need to make a search through my PayPal records to match up delayed PayPal payments with kit orders still marked unpaid.

                                    Multiple kit orders from DX locations are filled with multiple mailings to try to keep each padded envelope value at $30 or less.  Kits such as the v9.0 Lite+USB Xtall kit with Electronically Switched BPF and the v6.3 RXTX+Xtall kit are split into two mailings for DX orders.  Again this is to try to keep each mailing at a value of $30 or less.

                                    The SoftRock kits are based on design contributions and suggestions from a number of people.  My contribution to the designs include doing the board layouts and some of the testing.

                                    Thanks to all who have purchased kits and been supportive over the last four years  I would estimate that kit shipments now number over 20,000 kits. I continue to have fun with the SoftRock kit "business" in my retirement years and hope to continue the activity as long as there is interest in the kits.  I very much hope the kits have been fun and a bit educational for kit buyers.

                                    Thanks and 73,
                                    Tony Parks
                                    kb9yig@...
                                    http://www.kb9yig.com

                                  • rein0zn@ix.netcom.com
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Sep 30 8:22 AM
                                      Hi Bob,

                                      I believe I covered all the points you are making.
                                      I have been on board of this project from the very
                                      start & AMQRP )

                                      Over the years I have probably bought 10 boards.

                                      I stated how I appreciate the work Tony has done and is doing.
                                      all for no profit, rare these days in amateur radio.

                                      What I do not appreciate is messages on this board as in
                                      "Ha, Ha, I just received my order, and you have to wait"

                                      This whole situation started this way, did it not?

                                      So there is no need for you or others to repeat or lecture
                                      me on these facts.

                                      And Tony it quite able to explain what he is doing and planning
                                      and last but not least, I am able to understand the mechanics of
                                      his opreration and the difficulties.

                                      73 Rein W6SZ

> [...]
                                      >> >
                                      >> > I understood that I had to wait with ordering, there was no option.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Now again, I can't order.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > I appreciate very much the efforts and All the problems you
                                      >> > are having to get parts in a country with 15 % unemployment
                                      >> > under utilization of production capacities, etc etc.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > Certainly not your mistake!
                                      >> >
                                      >> > You control, I think, the ordering process though.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > But now at this very moment, again no possibility to get to order.
                                      >> > In the old days I just wrote you an email, 3 minutes later made a PayPal payment and I knew I was in business.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > What are you suggesting I do, wait and see another 120 pieces being
                                      >> > go out the door? Seeing messages "I got one"
                                      >> >
                                      >> > I can also understand that if you got payment for 20 units and
                                      >> > I did not make a payment that i have to wait, fine.
                                      >> >
                                      >> > I apologize for this email but I am frustrated by not being able to get in line....

                                    • Terry Long
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 1, 2009
                                        Hello Tony,

                                        I haven't heard back from you regarding the one kit of the 7 ordered which was not included in the 4 packages received Monday dispite two other emails -- maybe mine's not working?.  When you get a chance, would appreciate if you'd acknowledge this shortage and send when your able.   (I'm copying the yahoo group so that I can verify my email actual got sent.)

                                        Looking forward to getting these kits built!  Thanks in advance for your assistance.

                                        Terry Long
                                        KD8KXR

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 2, 2009
                                          Hi!

                                          2009/9/29 Tony Parks <kb9yig@...>

                                          > I have made 30 6m_2m Converter kits available on my website for shipment on or before Septmeber 30.  By October 1 I will have the parts in hand for 120 more of the 6m_2m Converter kits which I will try to make available on Thursday and Friday of this week.

                                          Do you have plans to make still another batch of the  6m_2m Converter
                                          kits (these were all sold during our local night)?

                                          Thanks for your efforts!

                                          73,
                                          Kaj OH6EH