Re: Remote Softrock operation

  • niall_behan
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 28, 2009
      Hi Folks,

      Thanks for all the very interesting suggestions. I did look at www.websdr.com, which is very impressive. However, in the spirit of experimentation I really wanted to get my own shack accessible - there are so many interesting possibilities when you have total control of your equipment remotely.

      I should have mentioned one other point in my original post - I use Mac OS X for everyday use but I have a few PCs for stuff like SDR because OS X just isn't serviced as well as PC for this application. I would LOVE to be able to use my softrock in the OS X environment (not through emulation).

      So, I just wanted to update everyone on my 'interim results'. I took Eric's suggestion and used logmein.com to access my desktop remotely. This worked OK and was supposed to enable audio but it just wouldn't work. Then I set up a Skype account for my shed, which I configured to accept audio from my sound card through VAC. This all worked surprisingly well - when I optimized everything to work on a relatively slow connection. The result was that I was able to operate both PowerSDR and Rocky from my Mac desktop...pretty cool!

      I did have one small issue with the audio input for Skype - there appeared to be a lot of interference when I used the same soundcard with VAC (not sure why). I solved this by taking the audio for skype from my second sound card (which was redundant up until now) - I used a physical patch cable from the stereo jack out to the input of the second sound card and bingo - great sound on Skype.

      The desktop control can be sluggish from time to time but definitely a worthwhile experiment and good fun. This set-up would of course be greatly improved I'm sure with a websdr type code, John G4SWX - I would be in favour of 'speaking nicely' to PA3FWM with respect to use of the code for the wider population.

      Best,

      Niall