Re: [softrock40] Re: 20W amplifier kit offered (it took a while...)

  • lbeugnet
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Bob,

      40£ to 70£ so 30£ for shipping rate from England to Paris, France ?
      Is there not a mistake ?
      Please recheck this aspect, because our club members are in interest for
      the kit but not for the shipping rate! At this price, we are thinking to
      take an Eurostar through the channel, it would be cheaper ;-)
      Best 73 Laurent F6GOX

      g8voip a écrit :
      > Hi David,
      >
      > Looks like you are not too familiar with the current exchange rates.
      >
      > At the moment £1 is around $1.62, so if you work it out, the $ price works out around £92, so you would be getting them cheaper than us in the UK.
      >
      > Also the postage rates from US to UK are considerably cheaper than the other way around. The kits Tony mails for around $2 to us, would cost around $10 to send the other way.
      >
      > Any other form of registered post, carrier etc, you could probably double the post rate again!
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "drmail377" <drmail377@...> wrote:
      >> Wow, the price almost doubles for International shipment! What's up with that? Can you send them by some form of registered/insured speed-post or EMS?
      >>
      >> 73's David WB4ONA
      >>
      >> --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "applewiz67" <robbrown@> wrote:
      >>> Hi Group,
      >>>
      >>> The 20W amplifier kit for use with Softrock RxTx radios is now available. The initial run is of ten kits, designated as beta.
      >>>
      >>> I really need some feedback from the group at this point, and the only way to do that is get some PCBs in my bottom drawer out to some of you. Website link:
      >>>
      >>> http://www.robbie.nildram.co.uk/
      >>>
      >>> Hopefully I can get 10 kits sold. I will hold the prices shown on the site, but will be left with unsold components if there are less than 10 takers, because some items are MOQ of 10.
      >>>
      >>> The deadline for expressions of interest is 7th September. First come, first served. After that I will order components and expect Paypal payments. I am also open to other forms of payment, please PM me.
      >>>
      >>> 73s,
      >>> M0RZF

    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi Laurent,

        Sorry, it has nothing to do with me, I was just pointing out the difference in currenty exchange rates, ignoring the additional postage outside the UK.

        The US prices worked out cheaper than for us here in the UK.

        I think you might have also confused GB Pounds and US Dollars.

        A total of £90 UK is approximately $146, so $150 for both kits is only a very small difference to pay for the extra postage.

        I am sure Rob M0RZF will be happy to discuss the prices.

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, lbeugnet <lbeugnet@...> wrote:

        > Hi Bob,
        >
        > 40£ to 70£ so 30£ for shipping rate from England to Paris, France ?
        > Is there not a mistake ?
        > Please recheck this aspect, because our club members are in interest for
        > the kit but not for the shipping rate! At this price, we are thinking to
        > take an Eurostar through the channel, it would be cheaper ;-)
        > Best 73 Laurent F6GOX
        >
        > g8voip a écrit :
        > > Hi David,
        > >
        > > Looks like you are not too familiar with the current exchange rates.
        > >
        > > At the moment £1 is around $1.62, so if you work it out, the $ price works out around £92, so you would be getting them cheaper than us in the UK.
        > >
        > > Also the postage rates from US to UK are considerably cheaper than the other way around. The kits Tony mails for around $2 to us, would cost around $10 to send the other way.
        > >
        > > Any other form of registered post, carrier etc, you could probably double the post rate again!
        > >
        > > 73, Bob G8VOI
        > >

        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "drmail377" <drmail377@> wrote:
        > >> Wow, the price almost doubles for International shipment! What's up with that? Can you send them by some form of registered/insured speed-post or EMS?
        > >>
        > >> 73's David WB4ONA

      • Dave Ackrill
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 1, 2009
          lbeugnet wrote:
          > Hi Bob,
          >
          > 40£ to 70£ so 30£ for shipping rate from England to Paris, France ?
          > Is there not a mistake ?
          > Please recheck this aspect, because our club members are in interest for
          > the kit but not for the shipping rate! At this price, we are thinking to
          > take an Eurostar through the channel, it would be cheaper ;-)
          > Best 73 Laurent F6GOX

          I think that maybe you are mixing up UK pounds and US Dollars, Laurent?

          I read the prices for the filters as 40 UK Pounds in the UK and 70 US
          Dollars for shipping outside the UK.

          At 1.58 US Dollars to the UK Pound that makes the international shipping
          costs about 5 UK Pounds more than the inside UK price, as 45 UK Pounds
          is about 70 US Dollars.

          Last time I looked, you couldn't travel on Eurostar for 5 UK Pounds. :-)

          Dave (G0DJA)
        • lbeugnet
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 1, 2009
            Hi BOB,

            Thanks bob, I was confused for me between currency rate/shipping rate
            for locations... ;-)
            A small clear table with kit prices, shipping cost, total account for
            local versus international will be wellcome. Is there one ?
            Best 73 Laurent

            g8voip a écrit :
            > Hi Laurent,
            >
            > Sorry, it has nothing to do with me, I was just pointing out the difference in currenty exchange rates, ignoring the additional postage outside the UK.
            >
            > The US prices worked out cheaper than for us here in the UK.
            >
            > I think you might have also confused GB Pounds and US Dollars.
            >
            > A total of £90 UK is approximately $146, so $150 for both kits is only a very small difference to pay for the extra postage.
            >
            > I am sure Rob M0RZF will be happy to discuss the prices.
            >
            > 73, Bob G8VOI
            >
            > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, lbeugnet <lbeugnet@...> wrote:
            >> Hi Bob,
            >>
            >> 40£ to 70£ so 30£ for shipping rate from England to Paris, France ?
            >> Is there not a mistake ?
            >> Please recheck this aspect, because our club members are in interest for
            >> the kit but not for the shipping rate! At this price, we are thinking to
            >> take an Eurostar through the channel, it would be cheaper ;-)
            >> Best 73 Laurent F6GOX
            >>
            >> g8voip a écrit :
            >>> Hi David,
            >>>
            >>> Looks like you are not too familiar with the current exchange rates.
            >>>
            >>> At the moment £1 is around $1.62, so if you work it out, the $ price works out around £92, so you would be getting them cheaper than us in the UK.
            >>>
            >>> Also the postage rates from US to UK are considerably cheaper than the other way around. The kits Tony mails for around $2 to us, would cost around $10 to send the other way.
            >>>
            >>> Any other form of registered post, carrier etc, you could probably double the post rate again!
            >>>
            >>> 73, Bob G8VOI

          • applewiz67
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 1, 2009
              > applewiz67,
              >
              > for EU, there is the same price than International ?

              Yes, it's probably easier to go in dollars and use Paypal for me.

              As Bob says international postage from the UK is not cheap, and the dollar:pound rate is 1.63:1 today.

              I'm offering this kit a bit cheaper than the nearest equivalent, and don't expect to make big profits. But once they're gone ... that's it! I don't intend to get small amounts of PCBs made because it would be uneconomic.

              -Rob
            • Simon (HB9DRV)
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 1, 2009
                Rob,

                Removing the greenish background would help - I'm a bit colour blind
                (red/green) and it's a bit painful reading the first part of each page on
                your site.

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                    What are you selling anyway is it some kind of addon to SR?
                    I remember to see something but can't recall what.
                    Regards

                    --
                    Jose (Ct1aos)
                  • Rob Brown
                    Message 9 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                      José,

                      It's a linear amplifier specially designed for Softrock RxTx - so very
                      much an addon. My neighbours objected to a 5 element 20m beam on a 30m
                      tower, so I made a linear instead ;)

                      -Rob

                      /**************************
                      Sorry for any missed emails
                      95% of email is now spam!!!
                      **************************/
                    • Jose Bonanca
                      Message 10 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                        hI Rob...

                        Just what I have been looking for but afraid of the coils.
                        How many bands does it cover?

                        Thanks
                        73

                        I may have to pay in dollars by VISA or payPal.

                        Message 11 of 19 , Sep 2, 2009
                          José,

                          All questions should now be answered by my website.

                          The coils on this project are easier to wind than the main softrock kit, with much fewer turns.

                          > Just what I have been looking for but afraid of the coils.
                          > How many bands does it cover?
                          >
                          > Thanks
                          > 73
                          >
                          > I may have to pay in dollars by VISA or payPal.
                        • Preston Douglas
                          Message 12 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                            Robbie,

                            I am expressing interest.  I would be happy to pay for both parts of the unit by PayPal.  Please let me know when.

                            Preston Douglas WJ2V

                            Message 13 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                              Rob,
                              I can't seem to be able to send money to the email addy listed on your site. PayPal states "enter a legitimate email addy" or something like that. I wanted to make arrangements to help with the beta kit run.

                              Message 14 of 19 , Sep 3, 2009
                                I think if you actually read the instructions, no money is required at present, only registering your interest.

                                73, Bob G8VOI