Re: [softrock40] Re: Screenshot

  • pe0fko
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
      I may argue for a dll between the sdr application and the firmware. Maybe that is possible to handle future changes.
      I used such a dll in my cfgsr program (and will publish it when the CFGSR will be released).

      --
      73, Fred
      PE0FKO

      2009/9/1 Simon (HB9DRV) <simon@...>

      Hi Alex,

      Great news, for me the 100% most important 'thing' is to know what the
      protocols are, if you write simple C/C++ code to drive the box and this code
      works then life for me is *much* simpler. Sample code ensures a very fast
      integration in SDR-RADIO.com.

      I'm getting on much faster than I hoped, my original target was a SoftRock
      beta/demo in early November and I am well on track.

      In a few weeks I hope to announce some very important new for SDR-RADIO.com
      :)

      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi Andrea,

        In the SDR-Widget_IO.sch schematics, you can see a 5-pin header:

        +5VD
        ROTI
        ROTQ
        PUSHSW
        GND

        This is for connecting to a rotary encoder with a real physical nicely balanced big knob with push button select action :-)

        In the Mobo v4.3, the AT90USB162 firmware developed by Loftur already has firmware support for the rotary encoder.

        We are porting the whole AT90USB162 firmware to the SDR-Widget, so the rotary encoder function will be there.

        So will the LCD display with graphical Power Output/ SWR etc. See Loftur's website.

        73's

        Alex

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Montefusco <andrea.montefusco@...> wrote:

        > alexle188,
        >
        > > 1. Hardware - the design team has completed the schematics of the
        > > prototype. Dave Brainerd is sprearheading the layout of the prototype
        > > pcb. With his vast experience and expertise, we should have a prototype
        > > board available soon.
        >
        > There is some I/O bit left for a phase/quadrature encoder
        > (to interface a real tune knob) ?
        > Do you plan to add the sw support for it ?
        >
        > 73 *am*

        > Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
        > tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709

      • Simon (HB9DRV)
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
          Actually I was thinking about a user interface in SDR-RADIO.com so that the radio's control data can be defined as needed - for example driving the local oscillator.

          Other parameters would be the fixed frequency for some Xtal SoftRocks, bands / ranges for others etc.

          Simon Brown, HB9DRV
          www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
          I may argue for a dll between the sdr application and the firmware. Maybe that is possible to handle future changes.
          I used such a dll in my cfgsr program (and will publish it when the CFGSR will be released).
        • alexle188
          Message 4 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
            Hi Simon,

            Fred's CfgSR program (which works through a .dll) works very well with Loftur's v16.10 firmware (which we are porting wholesale to SDR-Widget). Fred has provided special tab's for displaying and changing parameters of the Mobo v4.3 etc. and we use CfgSR extensively to interface with our Mobo firmware to control our Mobo v4.3's.

            If you are agreeable to such an approach (ie working through .dll instead of making direct calls), perhaps Fred will be able to share with you the source code examples for calling the .dll.

            I don't know the details, but I believe that the .dll hides and abstracts complications and intricacies of the EP0 command interface so it may well be easier to write code on the PC SDR side.

            73's

            Alex

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, pe0fko <pe0fko@...> wrote:

            > I may argue for a dll between the sdr application and the firmware. Maybe
            > that is possible to handle future changes.
            > I used such a dll in my cfgsr program (and will publish it when the CFGSR
            > will be released).
            >
            > --
            > 73, Fred
            > PE0FKO
            >

            > 2009/9/1 Simon (HB9DRV) <simon@...>
            >

            > > Hi Alex,
            > >
            > > Great news, for me the 100% most important 'thing' is to know what the
            > > protocols are, if you write simple C/C++ code to drive the box and this
            > > code
            > > works then life for me is *much* simpler. Sample code ensures a very fast
            > > integration in SDR-RADIO.com.
            > >
            > > I'm getting on much faster than I hoped, my original target was a SoftRock
            > > beta/demo in early November and I am well on track.
            > >
            > > In a few weeks I hope to announce some very important new for SDR-RADIO.com
            > >
            > > :)
            > >

            > > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
            > > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

          • Simon (HB9DRV)
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
              Hi,

              Using a DLL is fine - but I strongly suggest that you get the source for the
              DLL in case it ever needs to be updated / changed.

              Simon Brown, HB9DRV
              www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Ok, need to read more :-)
                  The SRDLL.dll will only translate the USB interface commands to simple functions and add some error checking. Like srOpen(..); and srSetFreq(7.04);
                  It is not a Config screen in a dll like my ExtIO_Si570.dll for WinRad or the CFGSR tool, But that also will be nice to have it separated from the radio like in WinRad.
                  (Maybe the WinRad ExtIO_ interface can also be used, Alberto will also include it in the NG (Next-Generation) of WinRad. It can open a hole world of possibilities witch I can not think about on this moment.)

                  --
                  73, Fred
                  PE0FKO

                  2009/9/1 Simon (HB9DRV) <simon@...>

                  Actually I was thinking about a user interface in SDR-RADIO.com so that the radio's control data can be defined as needed - for example driving the local oscillator.

                  Other parameters would be the fixed frequency for some Xtal SoftRocks, bands / ranges for others etc.

                  Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                  www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
                  I may argue for a dll between the sdr application and the firmware. Maybe that is possible to handle future changes.
                  I used such a dll in my cfgsr program (and will publish it when the CFGSR will be released).

                • Andrea Montefusco
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                    alexle188 wrote:
                    > In the SDR-Widget_IO.sch schematics, you can see a 5-pin header:
                    >
                    > +5VD
                    > ROTI
                    > ROTQ
                    > PUSHSW
                    > GND

                    Great news !
                    Alas I don't have access to KiCad, can you post/publish a PDF version ?

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                      Hi,

                      let's wait - when the hardware is working we can look at the whole thing and work out a good, flexible solution.

                      Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                      www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
                      The SRDLL.dll will only translate the USB interface commands to simple functions and add some error checking. Like srOpen(..); and srSetFreq(7.04);
                      It is not a Config screen in a dll like my ExtIO_Si570.dll for WinRad or the CFGSR tool, But that also will be nice to have it separated from the radio like in WinRad.
                      (Maybe the WinRad ExtIO_ interface can also be used, Alberto will also include it in the NG (Next-Generation) of WinRad. It can open a hole world of possibilities witch I can not think about on this moment.)

                    • Dave - WB6DHW
                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                        Andrea:
                        Kicad is a free download. If you Google KICAD, it is the first hit.

                        Dave - WB6DHW
                        <http://wb6dhw.com>