Re: Screenshot

  • alexle188
    Message 1 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
      Hi Simon,

      Very impressive GUI, and I'm sure it is backed up by very impressive SDR code underneath.

      Thank you for your interest in the SDR-Widget and your wish to support it directly with your program.

      I would just like to keep you updated on progress of the SDR-Widget development:

      1. Hardware - the design team has completed the schematics of the prototype. Dave Brainerd is sprearheading the layout of the prototype pcb. With his vast experience and expertise, we should have a prototype board available soon.

      2. Firmware - the design team is starting with a "skeleton" source file structure, based on the Atmel's Software Framework v1.5.0 beta. George is spearheading the firmware development. Whilst we are waiting for the SDR-Widget board to be available, development will take place with the EVK1104 evaluation board from Atmel. There will be two major funtional areas to work on:

      A. USB Audio Class v2.0 for transfer of I/Q data from PC to uC, and uC to AK4382A with DMA controlled I2S. Conversely, DMA controlled I2S transfer from AK5394A to uC, and HIGH speed USB transfer to the PC. The firmware will make the SDR-Widget look like a sound card.

      B. Rig control - this will be based on porting the firmware v16.10 that is now running on the AT90USB162 for Mobo v4.3 and Softrock v6.3 RxTX control, developed by Loftur. See:

      http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/

      Loftur's site has a download for the source files. The Readme.txt has a full description of the commands based on USB communication with the PC using EP0 control transfer. (This is an extended command set compatible with Fred Krom's firmware v15.11 for the USB-I2C Interface.) So if your program is compatible with Fred's firmware for the SR v9.0 with ABPF, it will work with SDR-Widget (for Rx) out of the box.

      We plan to retain this EP0 control transfer command set for compatibility with existing SDR programs such as Rocky v3.6, PowerSDR - various flavors, WindRad etc.

      However, we may explore alternative/additional rig control communication methods with the PC: eg. HID, CDC. The AT32UC3A3256 microcontroller is powerful enough and has enough program flash (256K bytes) for us to have it enumerate as multiple USB devices.

      The advantage of a CDC interface is that you can use a terminal emulation program to type in human readable commands. I have implemented an interface using CDC in my UBW firmware that will respond to human typed commands, as well as KENWOOD CAT commands. This can be ported to the SDR-Widget.

      The advantage of an HID interface is that you don't have to install custom drivers on the PC. (As we know, driver installation on a PC is a hazzle and is error prone. Also, appropriate drivers may not be available for all OS platforms.)

      When the SDR-Widget prototype board is available, I will construct one for you.

      73's

      Alex
    • Simon (HB9DRV)
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
        Hi Alex,

        Great news, for me the 100% most important 'thing' is to know what the
        protocols are, if you write simple C/C++ code to drive the box and this code
        works then life for me is *much* simpler. Sample code ensures a very fast
        integration in SDR-RADIO.com.

        I'm getting on much faster than I hoped, my original target was a SoftRock
        beta/demo in early November and I am well on track.

        In a few weeks I hope to announce some very important new for SDR-RADIO.com
        :)

        Simon Brown, HB9DRV
        www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

        > Thank you for your interest in the SDR-Widget and your wish to support it
        > directly with your program.

      • Andrea Montefusco
        Message 3 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
          alexle188,

          > 1. Hardware - the design team has completed the schematics of the
          > prototype. Dave Brainerd is sprearheading the layout of the prototype
          > pcb. With his vast experience and expertise, we should have a prototype
          > board available soon.

          There is some I/O bit left for a phase/quadrature encoder
          (to interface a real tune knob) ?
          Do you plan to add the sw support for it ?

          73 *am*

          Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
          tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709
        • pe0fko

            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
              Hi Andrea,

              In the SDR-Widget_IO.sch schematics, you can see a 5-pin header:

              +5VD
              ROTI
              ROTQ
              PUSHSW
              GND

              This is for connecting to a rotary encoder with a real physical nicely balanced big knob with push button select action :-)

              In the Mobo v4.3, the AT90USB162 firmware developed by Loftur already has firmware support for the rotary encoder.

              We are porting the whole AT90USB162 firmware to the SDR-Widget, so the rotary encoder function will be there.

              So will the LCD display with graphical Power Output/ SWR etc. See Loftur's website.

              73's

              Alex

              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                Actually I was thinking about a user interface in SDR-RADIO.com so that the radio's control data can be defined as needed - for example driving the local oscillator.

                Other parameters would be the fixed frequency for some Xtal SoftRocks, bands / ranges for others etc.

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                  Hi Simon,

                  Fred's CfgSR program (which works through a .dll) works very well with Loftur's v16.10 firmware (which we are porting wholesale to SDR-Widget). Fred has provided special tab's for displaying and changing parameters of the Mobo v4.3 etc. and we use CfgSR extensively to interface with our Mobo firmware to control our Mobo v4.3's.

                  If you are agreeable to such an approach (ie working through .dll instead of making direct calls), perhaps Fred will be able to share with you the source code examples for calling the .dll.

                  I don't know the details, but I believe that the .dll hides and abstracts complications and intricacies of the EP0 command interface so it may well be easier to write code on the PC SDR side.

                  73's

                  Alex

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, pe0fko <pe0fko@...> wrote:

                  > I may argue for a dll between the sdr application and the firmware. Maybe
                  > that is possible to handle future changes.
                  > I used such a dll in my cfgsr program (and will publish it when the CFGSR
                  > will be released).
                  >
                  > --
                  > 73, Fred
                  > PE0FKO
                  >

                  > 2009/9/1 Simon (HB9DRV) <simon@...>
                  >

                  > > Hi Alex,
                  > >
                  > > Great news, for me the 100% most important 'thing' is to know what the
                  > > protocols are, if you write simple C/C++ code to drive the box and this
                  > > code
                  > > works then life for me is *much* simpler. Sample code ensures a very fast
                  > > integration in SDR-RADIO.com.
                  > >
                  > > I'm getting on much faster than I hoped, my original target was a SoftRock
                  > > beta/demo in early November and I am well on track.
                  > >
                  > > In a few weeks I hope to announce some very important new for SDR-RADIO.com
                  > >
                  > > :)
                  > >

                  > > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                  > > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                • Simon (HB9DRV)
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                    Hi,

                    Using a DLL is fine - but I strongly suggest that you get the source for the
                    DLL in case it ever needs to be updated / changed.

                    Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                    www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                        Ok, need to read more :-)
                        The SRDLL.dll will only translate the USB interface commands to simple functions and add some error checking. Like srOpen(..); and srSetFreq(7.04);
                        It is not a Config screen in a dll like my ExtIO_Si570.dll for WinRad or the CFGSR tool, But that also will be nice to have it separated from the radio like in WinRad.
                        (Maybe the WinRad ExtIO_ interface can also be used, Alberto will also include it in the NG (Next-Generation) of WinRad. It can open a hole world of possibilities witch I can not think about on this moment.)

                        --
                        73, Fred
                        PE0FKO

                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                          alexle188 wrote:
                          > In the SDR-Widget_IO.sch schematics, you can see a 5-pin header:
                          >
                          > +5VD
                          > ROTI
                          > ROTQ
                          > PUSHSW
                          > GND

                          Great news !
                          Alas I don't have access to KiCad, can you post/publish a PDF version ?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                            Hi,

                            let's wait - when the hardware is working we can look at the whole thing and work out a good, flexible solution.

                            Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                            www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
                            The SRDLL.dll will only translate the USB interface commands to simple functions and add some error checking. Like srOpen(..); and srSetFreq(7.04);
                            It is not a Config screen in a dll like my ExtIO_Si570.dll for WinRad or the CFGSR tool, But that also will be nice to have it separated from the radio like in WinRad.
                            (Maybe the WinRad ExtIO_ interface can also be used, Alberto will also include it in the NG (Next-Generation) of WinRad. It can open a hole world of possibilities witch I can not think about on this moment.)

                          • Dave - WB6DHW
                            Message 13 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                              Andrea:
                              Kicad is a free download. If you Google KICAD, it is the first hit.

                              Dave - WB6DHW
                              <http://wb6dhw.com>