USB IC2 vmeasurments

  • n2ndc
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2009
      I have built an RXTX 6.3 and all seems to work so I pressed on to build the USB IC2 kit. All was according to the WB5RVZ builders notes until I got to plugging in the ATTINY86 into the socket and measuring the voltages. All is correct except pin 1 of the chip is 0.08 instead of 5V and pin 3 is 5.04 instead of 0 Volts. Any suggestions

      Also... I have a Vista Laptop so the procedure using Rocky is a non starter. I am using PSDR-IQ V1.12.20. Any information on how to get the USB-IC2 set up to work will be very helpful. Currently when I setup for SDR(SI570) operation and start-up the radio the software is locked into transmit mode (MOX always on and will not toggle off). Any suggestions.
      Paul ...N2NDC...
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1 12:13 AM
        Hi Paul,

        The most obvious suggestion is do you have the USB leads 1 and 3 swapped over?

        Pin 1 - Red = USB +5v supply
        Pin 2 - White
        Pin 3 - Green
        Pin 4 - Black = USB 0v

        You will need to install the latest USB driver to use the interface, which you can get from Fred PE0FKO's firmware page:

        http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/

        In addition you will need to modify the firmware default set-up as it is configured for use with the SoftRock v9.0 RX.

        To do this you will need to install and use Winrad to access the firmware set-up screens. Essentially you need to disable the 'ABPF' function to enable the PTT and CW functions.

        All the details of how to do this are in my 'Firmware User Guide' which you can get from:

        http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/g8voi/

        When using PSDR-IQ v1.12.20, all you need to do is check:

        Hardware Config tab: Radio model = SDR (Si570)

        USB tab: USB to I2C Adapter

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n2ndc" <pdukette@...> wrote:

        > I have built an RXTX 6.3 and all seems to work so I pressed on to build the USB IC2 kit. All was according to the WB5RVZ builders notes until I got to plugging in the ATTINY86 into the socket and measuring the voltages. All is correct except pin 1 of the chip is 0.08 instead of 5V and pin 3 is 5.04 instead of 0 Volts. Any suggestions
        >
        > Also... I have a Vista Laptop so the procedure using Rocky is a non starter. I am using PSDR-IQ V1.12.20. Any information on how to get the USB-IC2 set up to work will be very helpful. Currently when I setup for SDR(SI570) operation and start-up the radio the software is locked into transmit mode (MOX always on and will not toggle off). Any suggestions.
        > Paul ...N2NDC...

      • n2ndc
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2 1:36 PM
          Hi Bob and the group
          Thanks for the help. First the good news. Installing Winrad and the ExIO Si570, and disabling the ABPF did the trick regarding the erroneous IC voltage readings, and the PTT voltage. The test tab shows values for the registers, xtal and start up freq s etc. But now for the bad news.
          Operating with Winrad has no control of the LO frequency generated by the SI570.
          Rocky will control the LO frequency (multi band, 570 USB). The 570 remembers the last freq. and Winrad hears a signal on that freq. only. Power SDR 1.12.20 has no communications USB to I2C on my vista laptop but has no comm problems on my XP desktop, but still no control of the 570s frequency. But SDR also hears signals on the frequency left when in Rocky. So to summarize..
          The Vista PC works with Rocky, but Rocky can't find my internal sound card, just my USB sound card. So only TX or RX operation..no good. Power SDR 1.12.20 can't use the USB-IC2 but works in fixed freq. mode. Also the SDR software still hangs into TX occasionally and requires removal and reinstall to clear the TX keyed problem.
          My XP desktop has the same conditions except there are no issues with Power SDR finding the USB-I2C., but still has no freq control of the LO.
          Is there a way to get a firmware checksum or CRC and varify it is
          correct?
          Help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated, I have run out of things to try. By the way my firmware in the ATTiny is V15.10.
          Thanks
          Paul ...N2NDC

          -- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

          > Hi Paul,
          >
          > The most obvious suggestion is do you have the USB leads 1 and 3 swapped over?
          >
          > Pin 1 - Red = USB +5v supply
          > Pin 2 - White
          > Pin 3 - Green
          > Pin 4 - Black = USB 0v
          >
          > You will need to install the latest USB driver to use the interface, which you can get from Fred PE0FKO's firmware page:
          >
          > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/
          >
          > In addition you will need to modify the firmware default set-up as it is configured for use with the SoftRock v9.0 RX.
          >
          > To do this you will need to install and use Winrad to access the firmware set-up screens. Essentially you need to disable the 'ABPF' function to enable the PTT and CW functions.
          >
          > All the details of how to do this are in my 'Firmware User Guide' which you can get from:
          >
          > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/g8voi/
          >
          > When using PSDR-IQ v1.12.20, all you need to do is check:
          >
          > Hardware Config tab: Radio model = SDR (Si570)
          >
          > USB tab: USB to I2C Adapter
          >
          > 73, Bob G8VOI
          >

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "n2ndc" <pdukette@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have built an RXTX 6.3 and all seems to work so I pressed on to build the USB IC2 kit. All was according to the WB5RVZ builders notes until I got to plugging in the ATTINY86 into the socket and measuring the voltages. All is correct except pin 1 of the chip is 0.08 instead of 5V and pin 3 is 5.04 instead of 0 Volts. Any suggestions
          > >
          > > Also... I have a Vista Laptop so the procedure using Rocky is a non starter. I am using PSDR-IQ V1.12.20. Any information on how to get the USB-IC2 set up to work will be very helpful. Currently when I setup for SDR(SI570) operation and start-up the radio the software is locked into transmit mode (MOX always on and will not toggle off). Any suggestions.
          > > Paul ...N2NDC...

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2 2:44 PM
            Hi Paul,

            I really cannot think of too much in Winrad that would prevent you changing the LO frequency. You must have selected the right options to be able to access the firmware set-up screens to disable the ABPF function.

            The only things that come to mind, check on the Si570 tab that you have the I2C address set to '85'. Winrad has the entry in decimal, unlike Rocky which is in hex (55).

            In Winrad v1.32 and HD you just need to hover the mouse over the LO frequency digits and use the scroll wheel to change the LO frequency.

            In v1.42, you need to click on the LO button before making changes, but you are also able to click and drag the centre grey dividing bar between the displays to shift the frequency. Great for moving around bands like 20 /15m etc.

            As far as PowerSDR goes, if the hardware config screens just set the radio type to 'SDR (Si570)', also check the 'expert' tab in the Si570 box and make sure the I2C address is 55, again entered as a hex number. The only other thing is on the USB tab, in the 'AVR' box, check 'USB to I2C Adapter'.

            One thing to note with PSDR-IQ, you must have the USB interface plugged in and powered before starting the program otherwise if it does not find the interface present on start-up, it will automatically disable the 'USB to I2C adapter' option and you will need to go and check it again.

            Sorry I cannot help regarding a Vista problem, never used it.
            Perhaps something to do with the installation of the USB driver, but maybe not if Rocky appears to be working.

            Rocky failing to recognise the internal soundcard using Vista seems to be something common that is frequently reported on this forum.

            I really do not think there is a problem with your AVR chip and the firmware. If it was corrupted in any way, I would not have thought it would have run at all.

            v15.10 is fine for use with the I2C interface. The changes to the latest v15.11 are only needed for use with the v9.0 RX using the VHF converter module and certain versions of SDR programs.

            The only way of checking the AVR chip would be to read and verify the contents, but to do that you would need access to a 'HVS' type programmer. A simple ISP one is of no use once the chip is fully programmed, as the reset pin is re-allocated as an I/O line due to the limited number of device pins. The reset function is essential for ISP operation.

            On Fred PE0FKO's website, there is a guide I did for programming the ATtiny that explains the above in more detail if you are interested.

            Hope that's covered everything. Might be best to concentrate on getting one program going at a time.