Re: Screenshot

  • davidcuttler
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 31, 2009
      Simon,

      Will this be a stand-alone sdr program that will work in Vista?

      I am having so much trouble getting anything to work other than Winrad which has no transmit capibility. I was considering setting up my computer to dual boot XP-Pro, but SDR software that would run OK in Vista would be nothing short of great!

      Regards,

      David - KE6YX

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Simon \(HB9DRV\)" <simon@...> wrote:

      > A screenshot from a crazy programmer :)
      >
      > http://sdr-radio.com/Portals/2/activeforums_Attach/Screenshot-2009-08-29-215332.jpg
      >
      > I'm playing back a file of Field Day (USA) on 40m, file found on http://www.wa5qpz.com so many thanks to Dudley.
      >
      > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
      > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

    • Simon (HB9DRV)
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 31, 2009
        Hi,

        XP / VISTA / W7.

        Simon Brown, HB9DRV
        www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

        > Will this be a stand-alone sdr program that will work in Vista?

      • k5nwa
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 31, 2009
          Simon (HB9DRV) wrote:
          > Hi,
          >
          > XP / VISTA / W7.
          >
          > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
          > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

          Looks very nice, what is it written in?

          --

          Cecil Bayona
          K5NWA

          "Windows, the most successful software virus ever" Don Seglio Batuna
        • Simon (HB9DRV)
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 31, 2009
            From: "k5nwa" <k5nwa@...>

            > Looks very nice, what is it written in?

            Visual Studio 6.0 C++ with lots of GDI+ and www.codejock.com UI library.

            Simon Brown, HB9DRV
            www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
          • alexle188
            Message 5 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
              Hi Simon,

              Very impressive GUI, and I'm sure it is backed up by very impressive SDR code underneath.

              Thank you for your interest in the SDR-Widget and your wish to support it directly with your program.

              I would just like to keep you updated on progress of the SDR-Widget development:

              1. Hardware - the design team has completed the schematics of the prototype. Dave Brainerd is sprearheading the layout of the prototype pcb. With his vast experience and expertise, we should have a prototype board available soon.

              2. Firmware - the design team is starting with a "skeleton" source file structure, based on the Atmel's Software Framework v1.5.0 beta. George is spearheading the firmware development. Whilst we are waiting for the SDR-Widget board to be available, development will take place with the EVK1104 evaluation board from Atmel. There will be two major funtional areas to work on:

              A. USB Audio Class v2.0 for transfer of I/Q data from PC to uC, and uC to AK4382A with DMA controlled I2S. Conversely, DMA controlled I2S transfer from AK5394A to uC, and HIGH speed USB transfer to the PC. The firmware will make the SDR-Widget look like a sound card.

              B. Rig control - this will be based on porting the firmware v16.10 that is now running on the AT90USB162 for Mobo v4.3 and Softrock v6.3 RxTX control, developed by Loftur. See:

              http://sites.google.com/site/lofturj/

              Loftur's site has a download for the source files. The Readme.txt has a full description of the commands based on USB communication with the PC using EP0 control transfer. (This is an extended command set compatible with Fred Krom's firmware v15.11 for the USB-I2C Interface.) So if your program is compatible with Fred's firmware for the SR v9.0 with ABPF, it will work with SDR-Widget (for Rx) out of the box.

              We plan to retain this EP0 control transfer command set for compatibility with existing SDR programs such as Rocky v3.6, PowerSDR - various flavors, WindRad etc.

              However, we may explore alternative/additional rig control communication methods with the PC: eg. HID, CDC. The AT32UC3A3256 microcontroller is powerful enough and has enough program flash (256K bytes) for us to have it enumerate as multiple USB devices.

              The advantage of a CDC interface is that you can use a terminal emulation program to type in human readable commands. I have implemented an interface using CDC in my UBW firmware that will respond to human typed commands, as well as KENWOOD CAT commands. This can be ported to the SDR-Widget.

              The advantage of an HID interface is that you don't have to install custom drivers on the PC. (As we know, driver installation on a PC is a hazzle and is error prone. Also, appropriate drivers may not be available for all OS platforms.)

              When the SDR-Widget prototype board is available, I will construct one for you.

              73's

              Alex
            • Simon (HB9DRV)
              Message 6 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                Hi Alex,

                Great news, for me the 100% most important 'thing' is to know what the
                protocols are, if you write simple C/C++ code to drive the box and this code
                works then life for me is *much* simpler. Sample code ensures a very fast
                integration in SDR-RADIO.com.

                I'm getting on much faster than I hoped, my original target was a SoftRock
                beta/demo in early November and I am well on track.

                In a few weeks I hope to announce some very important new for SDR-RADIO.com
                :)

                Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                > Thank you for your interest in the SDR-Widget and your wish to support it
                > directly with your program.

              • Andrea Montefusco
                Message 7 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                  alexle188,

                  > 1. Hardware - the design team has completed the schematics of the
                  > prototype. Dave Brainerd is sprearheading the layout of the prototype
                  > pcb. With his vast experience and expertise, we should have a prototype
                  > board available soon.

                  There is some I/O bit left for a phase/quadrature encoder
                  (to interface a real tune knob) ?
                  Do you plan to add the sw support for it ?

                  73 *am*

                  Andrea Montefusco iw0hdv http://www.montefusco.com
                  tel: +393356992791 fax: +390623318709
                • pe0fko

                    Message 9 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                      Hi Andrea,

                      In the SDR-Widget_IO.sch schematics, you can see a 5-pin header:

                      +5VD
                      ROTI
                      ROTQ
                      PUSHSW
                      GND

                      This is for connecting to a rotary encoder with a real physical nicely balanced big knob with push button select action :-)

                      In the Mobo v4.3, the AT90USB162 firmware developed by Loftur already has firmware support for the rotary encoder.

                      We are porting the whole AT90USB162 firmware to the SDR-Widget, so the rotary encoder function will be there.

                      So will the LCD display with graphical Power Output/ SWR etc. See Loftur's website.

                      73's

                      Alex

                      Message 10 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                        Actually I was thinking about a user interface in SDR-RADIO.com so that the radio's control data can be defined as needed - for example driving the local oscillator.

                        Other parameters would be the fixed frequency for some Xtal SoftRocks, bands / ranges for others etc.

                        Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                        www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
                        Message 11 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                          Hi Simon,

                          Fred's CfgSR program (which works through a .dll) works very well with Loftur's v16.10 firmware (which we are porting wholesale to SDR-Widget). Fred has provided special tab's for displaying and changing parameters of the Mobo v4.3 etc. and we use CfgSR extensively to interface with our Mobo firmware to control our Mobo v4.3's.

                          If you are agreeable to such an approach (ie working through .dll instead of making direct calls), perhaps Fred will be able to share with you the source code examples for calling the .dll.

                          I don't know the details, but I believe that the .dll hides and abstracts complications and intricacies of the EP0 command interface so it may well be easier to write code on the PC SDR side.

                          73's

                          Alex

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, pe0fko <pe0fko@...> wrote:

                          > I may argue for a dll between the sdr application and the firmware. Maybe
                          > that is possible to handle future changes.
                          > I used such a dll in my cfgsr program (and will publish it when the CFGSR
                          > will be released).
                          >
                          > --
                          > 73, Fred
                          > PE0FKO
                          >

                          > 2009/9/1 Simon (HB9DRV) <simon@...>
                          >

                          > > Hi Alex,
                          > >
                          > > Great news, for me the 100% most important 'thing' is to know what the
                          > > protocols are, if you write simple C/C++ code to drive the box and this
                          > > code
                          > > works then life for me is *much* simpler. Sample code ensures a very fast
                          > > integration in SDR-RADIO.com.
                          > >
                          > > I'm getting on much faster than I hoped, my original target was a SoftRock
                          > > beta/demo in early November and I am well on track.
                          > >
                          > > In a few weeks I hope to announce some very important new for SDR-RADIO.com
                          > >
                          > > :)
                          > >

                          > > Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                          > > www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                        • Simon (HB9DRV)
                          Message 12 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                            Hi,

                            Using a DLL is fine - but I strongly suggest that you get the source for the
                            DLL in case it ever needs to be updated / changed.

                            Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                            www.ham-radio-deluxe.com

                              Message 14 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                                Ok, need to read more :-)
                                The SRDLL.dll will only translate the USB interface commands to simple functions and add some error checking. Like srOpen(..); and srSetFreq(7.04);
                                It is not a Config screen in a dll like my ExtIO_Si570.dll for WinRad or the CFGSR tool, But that also will be nice to have it separated from the radio like in WinRad.
                                (Maybe the WinRad ExtIO_ interface can also be used, Alberto will also include it in the NG (Next-Generation) of WinRad. It can open a hole world of possibilities witch I can not think about on this moment.)

                                --
                                73, Fred
                                PE0FKO

                                Message 15 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                                  alexle188 wrote:
                                  > In the SDR-Widget_IO.sch schematics, you can see a 5-pin header:
                                  >
                                  > +5VD
                                  > ROTI
                                  > ROTQ
                                  > PUSHSW
                                  > GND

                                  Great news !
                                  Alas I don't have access to KiCad, can you post/publish a PDF version ?

                                  Message 16 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                                    Hi,

                                    let's wait - when the hardware is working we can look at the whole thing and work out a good, flexible solution.

                                    Simon Brown, HB9DRV
                                    www.ham-radio-deluxe.com
                                    The SRDLL.dll will only translate the USB interface commands to simple functions and add some error checking. Like srOpen(..); and srSetFreq(7.04);
                                    It is not a Config screen in a dll like my ExtIO_Si570.dll for WinRad or the CFGSR tool, But that also will be nice to have it separated from the radio like in WinRad.
                                    (Maybe the WinRad ExtIO_ interface can also be used, Alberto will also include it in the NG (Next-Generation) of WinRad. It can open a hole world of possibilities witch I can not think about on this moment.)

                                  • Dave - WB6DHW
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Sep 1, 2009
                                      Andrea:
                                      Kicad is a free download. If you Google KICAD, it is the first hit.

                                      Dave - WB6DHW
                                      <http://wb6dhw.com>