Softrock Lite II

  • dohafisher
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 29, 2009
      I am building a Softrock Lite II (40 meter version). I have completed the power supply and Local Oscillator. All current and voltage readings are within tolerance, but I can't hear the LO in my ham receiver. I have rechecked all the solder joints and they seemed to be OK. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Doyle
    • Dave - WB6DHW
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 29, 2009
        dohafisher wrote:
        > I am building a Softrock Lite II (40 meter version). I have completed the power supply and Local Oscillator. All current and voltage readings are within tolerance, but I can't hear the LO in my ham receiver. I have rechecked all the solder joints and they seemed to be OK. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Doyle

        Are you looking on 40 or 10. The LO is at 4 times the operating
        frequency. You will not be able to hear it on 40 unless you have
        installed the 74AC74 flip flops.

        Dave - WB6DHW
        <http://wb6dhw.com>
      • dohafisher
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 29, 2009
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@...> wrote:

          > dohafisher wrote:
          > > I am building a Softrock Lite II (40 meter version). I have completed the power supply and Local Oscillator. All current and voltage readings are within tolerance, but I can't hear the LO in my ham receiver. I have rechecked all the solder joints and they seemed to be OK. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks Doyle
          > >

          > Are you looking on 40 or 10. The LO is at 4 times the operating
          > frequency. You will not be able to hear it on 40 unless you have
          > installed the 74AC74 flip flops.
          >
          > Dave - WB6DHW
          > <http://wb6dhw.com>
          >Thanks Dave, I was looking in the wrong place. When I switched to 10 meters it was there. Thanks again.
          Doyle - KG4URF
        • rkisko
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 13, 2011
            I built the 30M version (with a 14.089 xtal for use with my FT-950). I am using a SoundBlaster Audigy2 Z5 in my notebook XP PC. Checking it out with Rocky 3.7 and a signal generator, I have a mirror image about 15 to 20 dB down on the minus side of the spectrum. I and Q signals out of the SoftRock are 90 degrees out of phase, but the amplitude of one is 25% larger than the other. I have checked components, even rebuilt the input transformer.

            I don't know if it's related, but I can't get Rocky Automatic I/Q Balance display to display gain and phase data.

            I bought the SB on ebay, supposedly new, but the package had been opened.

            I would appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

            Bob, N4VO
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 13, 2011
              Subject: [softrock40] Softrock Lite II

              >I built the 30M version (with a 14.089 xtal for use with my FT-950). I am
              >using a SoundBlaster Audigy2 Z5 in my notebook XP PC. Checking it out with
              >Rocky 3.7 and a signal generator, I have a mirror image about 15 to 20 dB
              >down on the minus side of the spectrum. I and Q signals out of the SoftRock
              >are 90 degrees out of phase, but the amplitude of one is 25% larger than
              >the other. I have checked components, even rebuilt the input transformer.
              >
              > I don't know if it's related, but I can't get Rocky Automatic I/Q Balance
              > display to display gain and phase data.
              >
              > I bought the SB on ebay,

              Various Creatives need the "Shift Right Channel" in Rocky's setup.
              It is 1 unit but I don't remember + or -

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • n6eno
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 8, 2012
                I finished the softrock lite II, my first kit ever and it worked first time, I want to thank all who put effort in the project, on to the next kit. Thanks to all. 73 N6ENO
              • k5ygc
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 21, 2014
                  Hello to the group just built the LO and all voltages look good except 0 volt on hair pin R-17 Replaced Q-2 and no luck. Any ideas?
                • Douglas Luurs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 21, 2014
                    This might be just a shot in the dark .. but if recall the 3904 & 3906 are not facing the same direction.. Double
                    check to see if they are facing each other .. (and you have the 4 & 6 in the right spots).

                    Doug
                    W8ZUU

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jan 21, 2014
                      Q2 is 6 and they are facing each other.