Re: Tony - Software other than Rocky?

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 5, 2009
      Hi David,

      Sorry, I cannot be of much help regarding using USB sound devices as I have never played with any of them, likewise never used a laptop for SDR work.

      You problem sounds like it could be something in the soundcard configuration, or the incorrect driver being used, although there are also a few things that need setting up within PSDR. I guess you would need to use the 'unsupported' soundcard option for a start, also set sampling rate, buffering etc.

      One of the problems, I gather from reading posting on this forum, appears to be that many of the USB sound devices are only USB1.1 (slow speed), so not capable of running at 96kHz sampling and 24 bit resolution and passing all the data over the USB connection.

      My reference to PE0FKO v15.10 / 15.11 was regarding the AVR firmware used in the USB to I2C controller, sorry for the confusion, I missed out the 'firmware' part.

      The options for transmitting using the SoftRock limits you to Rocky or versions of PSDR if you are using a Si570 based kit.

      The only other alternative is the M0KGK 'KGKSDR' program, although that currently does not have any support for controlling the Si570, so an external controller would be needed, likewise it would not be possible to use the CW / PTT functions over the USB interface.

      Personally I have had very little success with this particular SDR program, and abandoned it a long time ago, it barely stutters along with 48kHz sampling on my 2.6GHz P4, and totally gives up at 96kHz, yet other people do seem to use it sucessfully.

      Not much of use to you, sorry,

      73, Bob G8VOI