USB vs Parallel control

  • K9ACT
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
      I am about to give up trying to use my V9 with my QRO rigs. After weeks
      of trying everything suggested by everyone on Earth, I can not get it to
      quit crashing when I key the transmitter.

      I even bought a "new" tower type computer and put the V9 in a grounded
      steel box but nothing helps. About 50% of the time, keying the
      transmitter crashes the radio. By this I mean it is either disabled or
      the freq is shifted and reloading the program is necessary.

      First question is: is anyone out there using one of these with a legal
      limit xmtr and if so, any problems?

      Second question is: it has been suggested that parallel port control
      instead of USB might solve this problem.

      Does this seem reasonable and where do I find info on doing this?

      Thanks,

      js

    • aa9wqham@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
        Hi Jack

        This is Larry W9AMR. I have used my v9 with my CE10 and the 4x1 amp. Full legal limit easy :-) I haven't had an issue. Have you tried to isolate down the issue by unplugging the audio cable and then TXing to see where the rf is getting in to the PC. I am sure it can be resolved. I believe you could even unplug the usb after you set the frequency where you want it. Those steps might help isolate it down. Maybe you have tried all this. I don't know where your at with the progress. I remember a few post earlier. If you have a bunch of grounds on equipment try to disconnect a few. Ground loops can be fun. Good luck!

        Larry W9AMR

        --
        PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling. com/pow.htm
        Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling. com

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 3, 2009
          From: "K9ACT"
          Subject: [softrock40] USB vs Parallel control

          > Second question is: it has been suggested that parallel port control
          > instead of USB might solve this problem.

          Christos's version may be the best http://code.google.com/p/powersdr-iq/

          Whether this could clear your problem, I'm not so sure. RF is getting into the computer some way but I've not much experience of
          curing that.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • JACK SCHMIDLING
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, aa9wqham@... wrote:

            > I believe you could even unplug the usb after you set the frequency where you want it.

            That is exactly where I am at.

            If I use the jumpers to set the band, I can unplug the USB at the computer and it will stay there forever.

            It clearly is the USB line but I don't know if it is crashing the computer or the board or what to do about it in either case.

            I have hung up to ten ferrite chokes on the cable with no effect.

            I also disconnected the black lead as Tony suggested with the same results.

            js
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
              From: "JACK SCHMIDLING" <>
              > That is exactly where I am at.
              >
              > If I use the jumpers to set the band, I can unplug the USB at the computer and it will stay there forever.
              >
              > It clearly is the USB line but I don't know if it is crashing the computer or the board or what to do about it in either case.
              >
              > I have hung up to ten ferrite chokes on the cable with no effect.

              Out of interest I have tried powering the USB controller from another source and find it works. It does not need to be powered by
              the USB line.
              You could try removing the red wire from the USB cable and insulating it. Then try feeding the controller from the Softrock 5V or
              battery, 4 nicads will give something like 5V providing they are not fully charged.
              The ferrite chokes may not be effective. How is the USB cable run? Is it wrapped round the other cables?
              As I have said, I'm not experienced with this sort of problem but it seems that a bit of extra screening, filtering or rerouting
              (maybe all three) should rectify it.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • strawbob2
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 4, 2009
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, K9ACT <K9ACT@...> wrote:

                > I am about to give up trying to use my V9 with my QRO rigs. After weeks
                > of trying everything suggested by everyone on Earth, I can not get it to
                > quit crashing when I key the transmitter.
                >
                > I even bought a "new" tower type computer and put the V9 in a grounded
                > steel box but nothing helps. About 50% of the time, keying the
                > transmitter crashes the radio. By this I mean it is either disabled or
                > the freq is shifted and reloading the program is necessary.
                >
                > First question is: is anyone out there using one of these with a legal
                > limit xmtr and if so, any problems?
                >
                > Second question is: it has been suggested that parallel port control
                > instead of USB might solve this problem.
                >
                > Does this seem reasonable and where do I find info on doing this?
                >
                > Thanks,
                >
                > js
                >

                > --
                > PHOTO OF THE WEEK: http://schmidling.com/pow.htm
                > Astronomy, Beer, Cheese, Fiber,Gems, Sausage,Silver http://schmidling.com

                I have been learning about this myself for some time, with similar issues using a 100W Drake T-4XC. Both V9.0 and RXTXv6.3 were/are affected. Built a 5W class C amp for the v6.3 that I couldn't use because it would "knock it out" when I keyed up.

                I won't claim I have solved all of my ground loops, but I am able to run 10W now and losing the USB is rare now unless I am experimenting. I have earned a deep appreciation for elimination of RFI.

                I found the publication below to be helpful to me. Perhaps it will help you or others. I found it on ARRL.org in their RFI section. I found it to be a good place to go after Robby's primer on "connections".

                A Ham's Guide to RFI, Ferrites, Baluns, and Audio Interfacing
                Revision 3 24 Apr 08
                © Entire Contents Copyright 2007-8 The Audio Systems Group, Inc., except Appendices 2, 3, and 4, which are
                property of the cited authors, and product data, which is copyright by Fair-Rite Products. All Rights Reserved
                by Jim Brown K9YC
                Audio Systems Group, Inc.
                http://audiosystemsgroup.com

                Good luck and 73's,

                Robert NQ0T
              • JACK SCHMIDLING
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                  I posted this from my emailer but don't see it here. Sorry if it gets duplicated. I left off the attachment in case that is the problem.

                  It is at http://schmidling.com/ozy.jpg

                  js

                  Got help from K9WEK setting up the LPT but now the program won't start.

                  Seems I did something very bad. I get the attached fatal error and can not even load the program to try to fix it. I uninstalled and reinstalled and get the same message. I also restored to the day before.

                  Disabling the USB is a lot easier than enabling the LPT.

                  In my bumbling around looking for such a button I clicked on Ozy/Janus something or other and that was all she wrote.

                  Any ideas?

                  js
                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                    Hi Jack,

                    Sounds like corruption in the PowerSDR database, wrong hardware option selected. Does not find it at program start so bombs out.

                    Best solution is to rename the existing PowerSDR.mdb file to something different like PowerSDR.old, then run the program again.

                    File is in Program files and the floder containing your PSDR installation.

                    You will need to start any configuration you had again,

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "JACK SCHMIDLING" <K9ACT@...> wrote:

                    > I posted this from my emailer but don't see it here. Sorry if it gets duplicated. I left off the attachment in case that is the problem.
                    >
                    > It is at http://schmidling.com/ozy.jpg
                    >
                    > js
                    >

                    > Got help from K9WEK setting up the LPT but now the program won't start.
                    >
                    > Seems I did something very bad. I get the attached fatal error and can not even load the program to try to fix it. I uninstalled and reinstalled and get the same message. I also restored to the day before.
                    >
                    > Disabling the USB is a lot easier than enabling the LPT.
                    >
                    > In my bumbling around looking for such a button I clicked on Ozy/Janus something or other and that was all she wrote.
                    >
                    > Any ideas?
                    >
                    > js

                  • JACK SCHMIDLING
                    Message 9 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009

                      > Best solution is to rename the existing PowerSDR.mdb file to something different like PowerSDR.old, then run the program again.

                      Done. Everything should be so easy.

                      Thanks.

                      Now the question is: how do I enable the LPT?

                      I see nothing in setup that does this directly.

                      For now, I have just want to see the VFO work. Pins 14, 17 and ground I believe.

                      I removed the programmable BPF board and plugged in the 80 meter filter board to keep things simple.

                      js
                    • g8voip
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 5, 2009
                        Hi Jack,

                        I am not sure which version of PSDR you are looking at, but on the 4 different versions I have set up, all have the set-up for the parallel printer port (LPT) on the main hardware tab.

                        Looks like all you have to do is set the address, '378' for the standard printer port LPT1 on most PC's.

                        Never actually tried using it myself, but should work ok,