RXTX 6.3 Trouble

  • Bryan
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 2, 2009
      With the kit completed and the 80m PA and BPF installed, I had 82.9 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor, and 107.8 mA without it (using 12.5V supply). Then I continues to finish installing audio cables for I/Q, the I2C USB interface, the antenna connector, and mounted it in my case. Then I had 85 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor and 116 mA without it. Probably shoulda starting troubleshooting without power right there, but decided to check the 5V and 3.3V test points first. They were both close. Then measuring current again, I popped the 315 mA fuse in my multimeter. Wasn't sure if I touched something stupid, so I retried with the 100 Ohm resistor and again got 85 mA, but again blew a fuse without the resistor. U4 (LM7805) was warm, but not hot.

      So what have I fried for sure and what might be the cause of my troubles? Tell me what to measure and I will.

      Thanks!
      Bryan
    • dan edwards
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 2, 2009
        i'd bet you didnt pop anything.

        you might have forgotten to switch your meter from current
        to voltage..and tried to measure voltage.

        don't ask me how i know......done it dozens of times.......

        73, w5xz

        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
          Hi Bryan,

          If that is the first time you have had it connected to the USB to I2C interface, I suspect that if you have only recently got that kit, you will need to change the set-up the firmware in the AVR chip.

          If it is a recent kit using Fred PE0FKO's v15.10 firmware, that defaults for use with the v9.0 RX, and the line used for the PTT function is one of the switched BPF control lines, so I suspect it might be set to a high, causing your v6.3 TX/RX to go straight to transmit, hence the higher current. You can check and see it the PTT line is 0v or +5V when you switch on.

          If it is +5v, you will need to set up the firmware.

          To do this, you need to use the Winrad program, with Fred PE0FKO's supporting dll file in the same folder. You can get it from here:

          http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/

          When you run Winrad, do the following:

          Select 'Show Options' > 'Select Input' > 'Softrock v9.0 Si570'

          Then press 'Start' to run Winrad

          Press 'H' on keyboard to bring up the firmware set up screens and select the 'ABPF' tab. Click on the 'tick' in the 'Enable' box to remove it (not enabled) and press 'Save'.

          If you disconnect the USB lead and reconnect it, the firmware will now be in the right state for the v6.3 TX / RX and the PTT and CW key inputs will function correctly.

          73, Bob G8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <bryanshq@...> wrote:

          > With the kit completed and the 80m PA and BPF installed, I had 82.9 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor, and 107.8 mA without it (using 12.5V supply). Then I continues to finish installing audio cables for I/Q, the I2C USB interface, the antenna connector, and mounted it in my case. Then I had 85 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor and 116 mA without it. Probably shoulda starting troubleshooting without power right there, but decided to check the 5V and 3.3V test points first. They were both close. Then measuring current again, I popped the 315 mA fuse in my multimeter. Wasn't sure if I touched something stupid, so I retried with the 100 Ohm resistor and again got 85 mA, but again blew a fuse without the resistor. U4 (LM7805) was warm, but not hot.
          >
          > So what have I fried for sure and what might be the cause of my troubles? Tell me what to measure and I will.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Bryan

        • tmac
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
            Hi,
            This is a sanity check with y'all before I lift the f-flop chip (U6- 74A
            C74) off the board for testing.

            The voltage divider (r9 & r10) is giving trouble. The voltage at r9-r10
            is almost up to the 5-volt rail voltage. R9 top end is 5-volts. R10
            bottom end is 0-v . I've pulled the two resistors and verified their
            values. I've replaced the coupling (c19) capacitor that feeds the
            r9-r10 junction. I've inspected every solder joint for bridges to other
            components, and scraped between them with a pick.

            The mid point of the divider should be 5 volts. However, there is that
            si570 signal feeding thru the cap. Is a dc offset of the signal pulling
            up the metered voltage? I really doubt it.

            My conclusion is that the flipflop clock input is pulling the voltage up
            somehow. So, I've ordered some fairchild chips (couldnt find Ti) to
            replace the one I will lift for test in case the chip is the source of
            the pullup.

            Just thought I'd ask for the symptomatic information before I end the
            life of a chip.

            "It's all fun." It builds character." And still having fun.....
            Have a great day!

            Tom - WA4FYN
          • Tony Parks
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
              Hi Tom,

              When I have a problem getting a circuit to run properly I first try looking at the basic items such as solder bridges between IC pins and checking to make sure the IC is soldered in with pin 1 of the IC to the pin 1 mark on the circuit board.

              73,
              Tony Parks
              kb9yig@...
              http://www.kb9yig.com

              On Mon, 2009-08-03 at 13:42 -0500, tmac wrote:

[...]

            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                Hi Tom,

                The title threw my as I could not find SoftRock you were talikng about, but by process of elimination, got to the v9.0 RX!

                Try removing C19, then measure on the junction of R9 / R10.

                If you still have 5v on it, then try lifting pin 3 and pin 11 of U6 to eliminate the device itself pulling it up.

                I use some solder braid and then a sewing needle with the soldering iron to carefully lift up individual pins on a smd devices. Make sure that they really are clear of the solder pads, and do not use any force or you can easily pull of the PCB pad.

                Try measuring again on the junction or R9 / 10 and see what it is. If it is still 5v, then start looking for the solder splashes! If it is correct at 2.5v, then carefully push pin 3 then pin 11 back down and see if the junction changes. You might have cleared any short in the process. My bet is a short pin 3 to 4 or 10 to 11 :)

                Let us know how you get on,

                73, Bob G8VOI

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, tmac <tmac@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                > This is a sanity check with y'all before I lift the f-flop chip (U6- 74A
                > C74) off the board for testing.
                >
                > The voltage divider (r9 & r10) is giving trouble. The voltage at r9-r10
                > is almost up to the 5-volt rail voltage. R9 top end is 5-volts. R10
                > bottom end is 0-v . I've pulled the two resistors and verified their
                > values. I've replaced the coupling (c19) capacitor that feeds the
                > r9-r10 junction. I've inspected every solder joint for bridges to other
                > components, and scraped between them with a pick.
                >
                > The mid point of the divider should be 5 volts. However, there is that
                > si570 signal feeding thru the cap. Is a dc offset of the signal pulling
                > up the metered voltage? I really doubt it.
                >
                > My conclusion is that the flipflop clock input is pulling the voltage up
                > somehow. So, I've ordered some fairchild chips (couldnt find Ti) to
                > replace the one I will lift for test in case the chip is the source of
                > the pullup.
                >
                > Just thought I'd ask for the symptomatic information before I end the
                > life of a chip.
                >
                > "It's all fun." It builds character." And still having fun.....
                > Have a great day!
                >
                > Tom - WA4FYN

              • tmac
                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                  I knew I could count on you guys!

                  I had never thought of lifting a single pin. I'll do that. I did
                  recheck the chip orientation (which would be number one). It's ok.

                  I just lifted pin 3 of the flip-flop. the divider voltage is 2.53 v
                  now. Guess I would replace the chip now.

                  I have some of the fairchild 74AC74's coming. Dont know yet if they are
                  exact replacement. But looks right.

                  If y'all have any experience on that, let me know. I can canibalize a
                  74AC74 from the RXTX kit I have waiting on the shelf.

                  Where can I get replacement parts?

                  Thanks
                  Tom - WA4FYN
                  See Me at the Huntsville Hamfest!
                  (or....dont let that stop you. ha)

                  g8voip wrote:

                  > Hi Tom,
                  >
                  > The title threw my as I could not find SoftRock you were talikng
                  > about, but by process of elimination, got to the v9.0 RX!
                  >
                  > Try removing C19, then measure on the junction of R9 / R10.
                  >
                  > If you still have 5v on it, then try lifting pin 3 and pin 11 of U6 to
                  > eliminate the device itself pulling it up.
                  >
                  > I use some solder braid and then a sewing needle with the soldering
                  > iron to carefully lift up individual pins on a smd devices. Make sure
                  > that they really are clear of the solder pads, and do not use any
                  > force or you can easily pull of the PCB pad.
                  >
                  > Try measuring again on the junction or R9 / 10 and see what it is. If
                  > it is still 5v, then start looking for the solder splashes! If it is
                  > correct at 2.5v, then carefully push pin 3 then pin 11 back down and
                  > see if the junction changes. You might have cleared any short in the
                  > process. My bet is a short pin 3 to 4 or 10 to 11 :)
                  >
                  > Let us know how you get on,
                  >
                  > 73, Bob G8VOI
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, tmac <tmac@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > This is a sanity check with y'all before I lift the f-flop chip (U6- 74A
                  > > C74) off the board for testing.
                  > >
                  > > The voltage divider (r9 & r10) is giving trouble. The voltage at r9-r10
                  > > is almost up to the 5-volt rail voltage. R9 top end is 5-volts. R10
                  > > bottom end is 0-v . I've pulled the two resistors and verified their
                  > > values. I've replaced the coupling (c19) capacitor that feeds the
                  > > r9-r10 junction. I've inspected every solder joint for bridges to other
                  > > components, and scraped between them with a pick.
                  > >
                  > > The mid point of the divider should be 5 volts. However, there is that
                  > > si570 signal feeding thru the cap. Is a dc offset of the signal pulling
                  > > up the metered voltage? I really doubt it.
                  > >
                  > > My conclusion is that the flipflop clock input is pulling the voltage up
                  > > somehow. So, I've ordered some fairchild chips (couldnt find Ti) to
                  > > replace the one I will lift for test in case the chip is the source of
                  > > the pullup.
                  > >
                  > > Just thought I'd ask for the symptomatic information before I end the
                  > > life of a chip.
                  > >
                  > > "It's all fun." It builds character." And still having fun.....
                  > > Have a great day!
                  > >
                  > > Tom - WA4FYN

                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                    Hi Tom,

                    Sounds like you have possibly managed to damage the chip somehow, but take a very careful look just in case it is just a small solder splash or whisker between pins 3 and 4.

                    If you just carefully push pin 3 back onto the pad, does the fault return again?

                    Any manufacturers 74AC74 should be alright, it the 'AC' family part which is important as far as speed and interface levels go.

                  • sailingto
                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009

                      > Hi Tom,
                      >
                      > Sounds like you have possibly managed to damage the chip somehow, but take a very careful look just in case it is just a small solder splash or whisker between pins 3 and 4.
                      >
                      > If you just carefully push pin 3 back onto the pad, does the fault return again?
                      >
                      > Any manufacturers 74AC74 should be alright, it the 'AC' family part which is important as far as speed and interface levels go.
                      >
                      > 73, Bob G8VOI

                      Great idea on the needle Bob - I'll try and remember that for lifting a single pin on an IC....

                      Tom, Mouser Part #: 512-74AC74SC Manufacturer Part #: 74AC74SC is listed at 32 cents each - that one worked for me. I've got to order more of them along with some other parts pretty soon.

                      Good luck and having fun,

                      Ken H.
                    • Bryan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                        I unmounted the board from the case, pulled the PA and BPF, and unmounted the antenna connector, and it blew another fuse. I removed the antenna connection because when measuring the resistance between the two leads at the board, it would jump around between maybe 0 and 1kOhm. Measuring it at the case mounted connector yielded over-load. So when I originally mounted the board in the case which moved the orientation of the micro coax, it appears that connection was sporadically shorting. However, my I2C kit was shipped early September 2008, so would PTT be defaulted to 5V or not? Don't want to apply power to the board, so can supply the I2C kit a voltage directly?

                        Thanks,
                        Bryan

                        > Hi Bryan,
                        >
                        > If that is the first time you have had it connected to the USB to I2C interface, I suspect that if you have only recently got that kit, you will need to change the set-up the firmware in the AVR chip.
                        >
                        > If it is a recent kit using Fred PE0FKO's v15.10 firmware, that defaults for use with the v9.0 RX, and the line used for the PTT function is one of the switched BPF control lines, so I suspect it might be set to a high, causing your v6.3 TX/RX to go straight to transmit, hence the higher current. You can check and see it the PTT line is 0v or +5V when you switch on.
                        >
                        > If it is +5v, you will need to set up the firmware.
                        >
                        > To do this, you need to use the Winrad program, with Fred PE0FKO's supporting dll file in the same folder. You can get it from here:
                        >
                        > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/
                        >
                        > When you run Winrad, do the following:
                        >
                        > Select 'Show Options' > 'Select Input' > 'Softrock v9.0 Si570'
                        >
                        > Then press 'Start' to run Winrad
                        >
                        > Press 'H' on keyboard to bring up the firmware set up screens and select the 'ABPF' tab. Click on the 'tick' in the 'Enable' box to remove it (not enabled) and press 'Save'.
                        >
                        > If you disconnect the USB lead and reconnect it, the firmware will now be in the right state for the v6.3 TX / RX and the PTT and CW key inputs will function correctly.
                        >
                        > 73, Bob G8VOI
                        >

                        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Bryan" <bryanshq@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > With the kit completed and the 80m PA and BPF installed, I had 82.9 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor, and 107.8 mA without it (using 12.5V supply). Then I continues to finish installing audio cables for I/Q, the I2C USB interface, the antenna connector, and mounted it in my case. Then I had 85 mA with the 100 Ohm series resistor and 116 mA without it. Probably shoulda starting troubleshooting without power right there, but decided to check the 5V and 3.3V test points first. They were both close. Then measuring current again, I popped the 315 mA fuse in my multimeter. Wasn't sure if I touched something stupid, so I retried with the 100 Ohm resistor and again got 85 mA, but again blew a fuse without the resistor. U4 (LM7805) was warm, but not hot.
                        > >
                        > > So what have I fried for sure and what might be the cause of my troubles? Tell me what to measure and I will.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks!
                        > > Bryan

                      • tmac
                        Message 11 of 15 , Aug 3, 2009
                          Well!
                          When troubleshooting, it's always good to be convinced by a friend to
                          recheck your conclusions.

                          I resoldered pin 3. The voltage is 2.5 v now as it should be. Too late
                          for me to get the scope out to see if the chip is working.

                          I'll report in tomorrow evening with results.

                          Ok, Im re-excited now.

                          Thanks for the hand-holding.

                          Tom -WA4FYN

                          sailingto wrote:

                          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Hi Tom,
                          > >
                          > > Sounds like you have possibly managed to damage the chip somehow,
                          > but take a very careful look just in case it is just a small solder
                          > splash or whisker between pins 3 and 4.
                          > >
                          > > If you just carefully push pin 3 back onto the pad, does the fault
                          > return again?
                          > >
                          > > Any manufacturers 74AC74 should be alright, it the 'AC' family part
                          > which is important as far as speed and interface levels go.
                          > >
                          > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                          > >

                          > Great idea on the needle Bob - I'll try and remember that for lifting
                          > a single pin on an IC....
                          >
                          > Tom, Mouser Part #: 512-74AC74SC Manufacturer Part #: 74AC74SC is
                          > listed at 32 cents each - that one worked for me. I've got to order
                          > more of them along with some other parts pretty soon.
                          >
                          > Good luck and having fun,
                          >
                          > Ken H.

                        • g8voip
                          Message 12 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                            Hi Tom,

                            Good to hear that, see, you just need to have a little faith!

                            Contrary to a lot of what is published, it is extremely hard to damage most chips, they seem to be able to withstand a lot of abuse! Shorts on input pins rarely causes any harm.

                            I put one of the Atmel AVR chips in the socket the wrong way around the other day, when I was doing some of the testing for the new v15.11 firmware.

                            Only found it when I was having problems with the PC failing to recognise the device. The first I realised was when I put my thumb on the chip and got a blister straight away! Despite that, once I let it dool down, put it in the right way round, all was working fine, but I do have it marked in case it does anything strange in the future.

                            Hope the next part of the build and testing goes fine,

                            73, Bob G8VOI

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, tmac <tmac@...> wrote:

                            > Well!
                            > When troubleshooting, it's always good to be convinced by a friend to
                            > recheck your conclusions.
                            >
                            > I resoldered pin 3. The voltage is 2.5 v now as it should be. Too late
                            > for me to get the scope out to see if the chip is working.
                            >
                            > I'll report in tomorrow evening with results.
                            >
                            > Ok, Im re-excited now.
                            >
                            > Thanks for the hand-holding.
                            >
                            > Tom -WA4FYN
                            >

                            > sailingto wrote:
                            > >

                            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                            > > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Hi Tom,
                            > > >
                            > > > Sounds like you have possibly managed to damage the chip somehow,
                            > > but take a very careful look just in case it is just a small solder
                            > > splash or whisker between pins 3 and 4.
                            > > >
                            > > > If you just carefully push pin 3 back onto the pad, does the fault
                            > > return again?
                            > > >
                            > > > Any manufacturers 74AC74 should be alright, it the 'AC' family part
                            > > which is important as far as speed and interface levels go.
                            > > >
                            > > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                            > > >

                            > > Great idea on the needle Bob - I'll try and remember that for lifting
                            > > a single pin on an IC....
                            > >
                            > > Tom, Mouser Part #: 512-74AC74SC Manufacturer Part #: 74AC74SC is
                            > > listed at 32 cents each - that one worked for me. I've got to order
                            > > more of them along with some other parts pretty soon.
                            > >
                            > > Good luck and having fun,
                            > >
                            > > Ken H.

                          • g8voip
                            Message 13 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                              Hi Bryan,

                              Your USB to I2C kit would still have had the original v1.4 firmware supplied with it, so nothing to do with the default settings, and the PTT line should be in the correct state.

                              You can check the USB to I2C board on its own, as it gets its 5v supply from the PC's USB port.

                              There might be an issue with the PC not recognising the USB device due to a bug in that version of the firmware.

                              With the interface NOT connected to the v6.3, you could try pulling up the SDA line to 5v through a 4k7 resistor if the PC does not recognise the USB device when you try.

                              Remember to remove the pull up resistor before connecting it back to the main board, as that line has a pull up to the 3v3 line, needed for the correct level to the Si570.

                              All I can suggest for fault finding on the main PCB is perhaps to remove the 5v regulator U4. That might give you an idea if it is something on the 5v or 12v rails causing the excessive current.

> [...]

                              > > > So what have I fried for sure and what might be the cause of my troubles? Tell me what to measure and I will.

                            • g8voip
                              Message 14 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                                Hi Bryan,

                                Brain malfunction here, too early in the morning, thats my excuse!

                                My last message is correct, except it is the SCL line that needs pulling up, not the SDA one. Thanks Alan, I should have read your message first!

                                73, Bob G8VOI

> [...]
                                > > >
                                > > > If it is +5v, you will need to set up the firmware.
                                > > >
                                > > > To do this, you need to use the Winrad program, with Fred PE0FKO's supporting dll file in the same folder. You can get it from here:
                                > > >
                                > > > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/
                                > > >
                                > > > When you run Winrad, do the following:
                                > > >
                                > > > Select 'Show Options' > 'Select Input' > 'Softrock v9.0 Si570'
                                > > >
                                > > > Then press 'Start' to run Winrad
                                > > >
                                > > > Press 'H' on keyboard to bring up the firmware set up screens and select the 'ABPF' tab. Click on the 'tick' in the 'Enable' box to remove it (not enabled) and press 'Save'.
                                > > >
                                > > > If you disconnect the USB lead and reconnect it, the firmware will now be in the right state for the v6.3 TX / RX and the PTT and CW key inputs will function correctly.

                              • dan edwards
                                Message 15 of 15 , Aug 4, 2009
                                  bob

                                  boy, that makes ME feel better. a guru with a snafu !!!!

                                  i dont feel so stupid after all !!!

                                  73, w5xz, dan