Softrock <-> Softrock QSO

  • Ed Hekman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2009
      7/23/09
      WB6YTE <-> KC0SXE
      DM12 <-> EN31

      Yes, there is life under 1 watt.

      This was not my first Softrock QSO but when I responded to a relatively weak PSK31 signal calling CQ, I really didn't expect to be heard. It was quite a thrill for both of us to discover that we were both using Softrock radios. I was using Rocky 3.6 and Wilson, KC0SXE was using KGKSDR.

      Last Sunday I had an Olivia 16/500 QSO on 30 meters with KB9UMT, grid EN50, using the big rig (TS-530s). For an experiment we both turned the power down to <1 watt and continued the QSO with almost 100% copy. My QRP power meter was bouncing around 200 mw.

      Ed
      WB6YTE