PAF 30/20/17 PTT current draw test

  • Grant McDuling
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29 9:41 PM
      Hi guys,
      Well, my rig is now completed and it's over to the I2C kit. But first a question: when running through the tests, the instructions say PTT current draw should be less than 200mA. I got 200mA. Or at least on my multimeter, which I set to the 200mA range, the reading started out at about 198 and then climbed slowly until it got to 199.9 and then 1. I presumed it had maxed out so I switched to the next scale, which was 10A. I got a reading of 0.2. I guess this means currrent draw is 200mA. The power I used was 13.8V; would this account for the current not being below 200mA? It could also be that the multimeter is not the greatest around. Should I be concerned?

      Regards
      Grant VK4JAZ
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 29 10:16 PM
        From: "Grant McDuling"
        Subject: [softrock40] PAF 30/20/17 PTT current draw test

        when running through the tests, the instructions say PTT current draw
        should be less than 200mA. I got 200mA. Or at least on my multimeter, which
        I set to the 200mA range, the reading started out at about 198 and then
        climbed slowly until it got to 199.9 and then 1. I presumed it had maxed out
        so I switched to the next scale, which was 10A. I got a reading of 0.2. I
        guess this means currrent draw is 200mA. The power I used was 13.8V; would
        this account for the current not being below 200mA? It could also be that
        the multimeter is not the greatest around. Should I be concerned?

        I think the figures were based on a 12V PSU. 13V8 is likely to give a higher
        current.
        In any case figures like these can vary, Robby probably just checked one
        unit. You're probably OK.