Re: [softrock40] Softrock Lite 2.0 on 10M??

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1 8:27 AM
      From: "wa1edj"
      Subject: [softrock40] Softrock Lite 2.0 on 10M??

      >I wanted to try putting a Lite 2.0 on 10M. Besides reworking the front end,
      >I figured I needed a 37.666MHz xtal or osc to center it on 28.250.
      > I could find no non-custom crystals for that frequency or even close.
      > So....I thought about using one of the programmable oscillators like
      > ECS (and others) and have it programmed for 37.666 MHz. I think Digi-Key
      > will do it for less than $10 which is cheaper than a Si570.
      > I realize these osc's are PLL's inside and not the purity of a crystal.
      > Since it is being run into a divider, does this even matter??

      A crystal and the Si570 have low phase noise, therefore they are going to be
      better. At ten metres this may well be quite significant.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Robert Confrey (confrer)
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1 10:59 AM
        Alan,
           I would consider using the Si570 as a stand alone osc. source but am a bit confused as to how to program it to startup on 37.666MHz.
        From following the traffic on the list it seems like there are various controllers for the 570 out there but I'm lost as to which one will do what
        I need.  Anyone have any suggestions??...Bob...WA1EDJ....

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1 11:15 AM
          From: "Robert Confrey

          Alan,
          I would consider using the Si570 as a stand alone osc. source but am
          a bit confused as to how to program it to startup on 37.666MHz.
          From following the traffic on the list it seems like there are various
          controllers for the 570 out there

          As you say, various methods are available. I have detailed some here
          http://homepages.wightcable.net/~g4zfq/Si570.htm
          If you just want one, or a few frequencies then the PIC/PICAXE is an option.
          However it is probably best to get an independent controller like
          http://www.sdr-kits.net/USB/USB_Description.html or my recommendation the
          Kees/John unit http://www.qsl.net/k5bcq/Kits/Kits.html The USB kit would,
          however, work with the SDR programs, the Kees one would need manually
          selecting memories as has recently been detailed. Both of these can be set
          to start at the frequency you need.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Robert Confrey (confrer)
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1 12:00 PM
            Thanks!...Just what I was looking for...The Kees kit looks great....73...Bob...EDJ...