USB Bitwacker /3.6 MOBO

  • wgalaugher
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
      I have completed my MOBO for the 6.3 Xtall and built the bitwacker usb. The 6.3 all works with Tony's USB

      What software do I need to download and install on the bitwacker. I'm not using a level controller but I did buy the Si570 programmable board from WB6DHW ( no Si570 installed).

      Do I need to wire it in without the Si570 for level control?

      What dll is required for winrad for this setup?

      Wayne
      VE7ZNU
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
        Hi Wayne,

        Take a look at Alex 9V1AL's folder in the files section, and under the 'UBW Emulator' read the 'readme.txt file, that a good place to start off.

        The his UBW firmware is in the same folder.

        Not too much of a surprise, but as Alex 'emulated' Fred PE0FKO's v15.10 firmware, you need to use his Winrad dll file.

        Take a look back at Alex's posting's for the last month or so, I know he has answered the same questions many times.

        Use Dave WB6DHW's board to provide the I2C level conversion for safely, otherwise there is the risk if you fail to program the UBW board correctly, you might apply 5v signal levels to the Si570, which won't like it!

        73, Bob G8VOI

        -- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "wgalaugher" <wgalaugher@...> wrote:

        > I have completed my MOBO for the 6.3 Xtall and built the bitwacker usb. The 6.3 all works with Tony's USB
        >
        > What software do I need to download and install on the bitwacker. I'm not using a level controller but I did buy the Si570 programmable board from WB6DHW ( no Si570 installed).
        >
        > Do I need to wire it in without the Si570 for level control?
        >
        > What dll is required for winrad for this setup?
        >
        > Wayne
        > VE7ZNU

      • WAYNE GALAUGHER
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009

          I got it.  I did read all the docs but there are a few options within Alex 9V1AL folder.  If I read your response correctly, I should use "UBW Emulator firmware 15.10 - No reset of Si570 at startup".  But I'm not sure about the reset issue.
          Where do you find the "Winrad dll file"

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
            From: "WAYNE GALAUGHER" > Where do you find the "Winrad dll file"

            http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=PE0FKO%27s+v15.10+firmware&meta=&aq=f&oq=
            Srcond one.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • g8voip
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
              Hi Wayne,

              Take a look back at Alex's postings when he made his last update, and gave an explanation of Si570 reset function. Think it was something to do with the UBW and whether or not it ran on start up if the Si570 was not present. I think the 'no reset' is the preferred option? No harm in trying either one.

              Although I have a UBW board, not done much with it yet, apart from building it and checking I could download Alex's firmware to it, also have one of Dave WB6DHW's Si570 modules to perform the I2C level conversion and will add a Si570. One day I will build them into my v6.1 TX/RX.

              As far as Fred PE0FKO's Winrad dll file, you can download it from here:

              http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/

              73, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, WAYNE GALAUGHER <wgalaugher@...> wrote:

              > I got it. I did read all the docs but there are a few options within Alex 9V1AL folder. If I read your response correctly, I should use "UBW Emulator firmware 15.10 - No reset of Si570 at startup". But I'm not sure about the reset issue.
              > Where do you find the "Winrad dll file"
              >
              > Thanks

            • WAYNE GALAUGHER
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
                Thanks

                Got winrad going.  Will attempt the USB issue tonight.

                Any experience with PowerSDR.  I have tried every version and can't seem to get it right.  It wouldbe nice to get all three going .  I have Rocky, now Winrad.

                Any direction would be nice.  I'm sure its a dll that's missing.  But what dll for which version of POwerSDR.

                > Take a look back at Alex's postings when he made his last
                > update, and gave an explanation of Si570 reset function. Think
                > it was something to do with the UBW and whether or not it ran on
                > start up if the Si570 was not present. I think the 'no reset' is
                > the preferred option? No harm in trying either one.
                >
                > Although I have a UBW board, not done much with it yet, apart
                > from building it and checking I could download Alex's firmware
                > to it, also have one of Dave WB6DHW's Si570 modules to perform
                > the I2C level conversion and will add a Si570. One day I will
                > build them into my v6.1 TX/RX.
                >
                > As far as Fred PE0FKO's Winrad dll file, you can download it
                > from here:
                >
                > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/ExtIO_Si570/
                >
                > 73, Bob G8VOI
                >

                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, WAYNE GALAUGHER
                > <wgalaugher@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > I got it.  I did read all the docs but there are a few
                > options within Alex 9V1AL folder.  If I read your response
                > correctly, I should use "UBW Emulator firmware 15.10 - No reset
                > of Si570 at startup".  But I'm not sure about the reset issue.
                > > Where do you find the "Winrad dll file"
                > >
                > > Thanks

              • g8voip
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
                  Hi Wayne,

                  I have used the v9.0 RX with Fred's v15.10 firmware quite happily with all versions of PSDR, and also the SDR-kits USB synth to check out the PTT and CW functions, so Alex's UBW firmware should perform similarly.

                  For Guido PE1NNZ PSDR v1.90 sr40 and Christos SV1EIA PSDR-IQ v1.12.20 you do not need any additional supporting dll file.

                  If you use the original Flexradio v1.16 or v1.18, with the v9.0 RX you need to use Fred PE0FKO's modified version of the SDR1kUSB.dll file, which you can get from his website:

                  http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/

                  Take a look at the table in the 'Supported SDR receivers' section for the link to download it. I guess the same is true for the UBW firmware.

                  By far the best version of PSDR to use, especially for transmitting is Christos SV1EIA's PSDR-IQ v1.12.20

                  Have fun,

                • Wayne Galaugher
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009

                    Hi Wayne,

                    I have used the v9.0 RX with Fred's v15.10 firmware quite happily with all versions of PSDR, and also the SDR-kits USB synth to check out the PTT and CW functions, so Alex's UBW firmware should perform similarly.

                    For Guido PE1NNZ PSDR v1.90 sr40 and Christos SV1EIA PSDR-IQ v1.12.20 you do not need any additional supporting dll file.

                    If you use the original Flexradio v1.16 or v1.18, with the v9.0 RX you need to use Fred PE0FKO's modified version of the SDR1kUSB.dll file, which you can get from his website:

                    http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/SR- V9-Si570/

                    Take a look at the table in the 'Supported SDR receivers' section for the link to download it. I guess the same is true for the UBW firmware.

                    By far the best version of PSDR to use, especially for transmitting is Christos SV1EIA's PSDR-IQ v1.12.20

                    Have fun,

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, WAYNE GALAUGHER <wgalaugher@ ...> wrote:

                    > Thanks
                    >
                    > Got winrad going. Will attempt the USB issue tonight.
                    >
                    > Any experience with PowerSDR. I have tried every version and can't seem to
                    get it right. It wouldbe nice to get all three going . I have Rocky, now Winrad.

                    > Any direction would be nice. I'm sure its a dll that's missing. But what
                    dll for which version of POwerSDR.

                  • alexle188
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 30, 2009
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne Galaugher" <wgalaugher@...> wrote:

                      > Great stuff! What a great group. I never had so much fun with Ham Radio
                      >

                      > Wayne
                      >
                      > VE7ZNU

                      Hi Wayne and Bob,

                      Having a lot of fun is what this is all about :-)

                      Many thanks to Bob for providing all the answers! They are all correct :-) I really appreciate your help in guiding others, and keep up with the good work!

                      I would just like to add a few points:

                      1. The "Si570 reset at startup" version of the firmware is for situations whereby for some yet unknown reason, the PC SDR software cannot communication with the Si570, but works AFTER another program, such as USB_Synthe.exe, has been used (and works).

                      I have not encountered this problem myself with Rocky, PowerSDR-IQ, PowerSDR-sr40, WinRad, and Quisk, using the "without reset" version.

                      The advantage of the "without reset" version is that you can load the firmware on the UBW and test immediately, without connecting the Si570. (Of course, you cannot try any of the functions that involves the Si570. So basically you are testing the USB connection only).

                      There are also additional versions for use with the 6-band K5OOR switched LPF bank. The main difference is that the default firmware LPF crossover points are tailored for that LPF bank.

                      The LPF crossover points can be changed, and up to 7 crossover points, for 8 band segments can be set.

                      However, right now the PC side software can only read what the crossover points are. (See usbsoftrock - it is a Linux only program.)
                      Hopefully the next version of the usbsoftrock software will allow you to change all the filter cross over points. I'm also waiting for Fred to have a new version of the DLL that can allow WinRad to change the LPF crossover points (much like changing the BPF crossover points).

                      The crossover points are all stored in EEPROM, so once set, it is there for use by any of the SDR programs.

                      2. There is still some compatibility issues between PowerSDR and UBW Emulator firmware for Tx. So currently I suggest:

                      (a) For CW Tx with paddles - Rocky
                      (b) For SSB TX - PowerSDR-IQ
                      (c) For CW Tx using the keyboard console CWX - PowerSDR-sr40 running in the "sr40" mode.

                      Setting up PowerSDR for Tx is not an easy task and you may have to tweak some parameters. Take note also that:

                      (i) The UBW with the UBW Emulator firmware behaves almost exactly like the AVR ATTINY45/85 in the USB_I2C Interaface or the USB Synthesiser. So in powerSDR you use the USB_I2C Interface/AVR checkbox - NOT the UBW checkbox.

                      (ii) In powerSDR, leave the default fcryst (or xtal or something like that in the "advanced" setup tab) at 114.285 Mhz.

                      You calibrate the UBW Emulator using the WinRad/ExtIO instead. Once calibrated once, it will work across all other SDR programs (eg don't try to calibrate with Rocky.)

                      3. Do not use the "Rocky" D-9 connector when you are using the UBW for PTT keying. In fact, you should unplug any serial cables connected to the D-9 connector. Otherwise there may be problem with the Rx/Tx switching of the Mobo v3.6. The PTT signal comes from one of the i/o pins of the UBW.

                      Good luck and have plenty of fun.

                      73's

                      Alex
                    • g8voip
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2009
                        Hi Alex,

                        Thanks very much for the kind comments, really appreciated.

                        I know how busy guys like you and Tony are, so it's my way of making a little contribuition for all of the fun and enjoyment I am having playing with the SoftRock's.

                        p.s. Glad I got some of the answers right!

                        73, Bob G8VOI