Re: Band Switching on V9

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 32 , Jun 30 10:15 AM
      Hi,

      Having read your message again, a couple of things I think you seem unclear about:

      I think you missed the point, you were not changing anything within the 'Winrad' program or set-up. Winrad was just a vehicle to get to the 'firmware' set-up screens, using Fred's v0.8 supporting dll file, i.e to access and change the default stored settings in the micro-controller chip on the v9.0 PCB.

      The other comment is regards the 'ABPF' filter switching points, it is only necessary to set 3 cross-points in order to switch between the 4 bands.

      As you really wanted separate filters for 80 / 40 / 20m, surely the original BPF configuration effectively would give you that anyway, granted the low frequency cut off points are lower than optimum if you are only interested in those particular the narrow amateur bands.

      Filter 1 = 1.6 - 4 MHZ (80m)
      Filter 2 = 4 - 8 MHz (40m)
      Filter 3 = 8 - 16MHz (20m)

      Guess you will have to do a bit of research and learning. There are plenty of free filter design programs available to enable you to customise them as you wish.

      73, Bob G8VOI

> [...]
      >
      > Glad that's resolved the issue at last.
      >
      > Ok with the plug-in filters and the band options. From my understanding the combination of the single coil and transformer filter modules works in a slightly different way.
      >
      > The 'firmware' is the program that runs in the Atmel micro-controller chip, and is configured with the common settings as the default state and can be used with all of the SDR programs if the 'standard' options are used.
      >
      > It then runs as a stand alone controller, and not dependent on the SDR program being run, other than for the frequency selection. The filter selection is made automatically based on the LO frequency the Si570 is requested to generate. (x4 the frequency you are tuned to).
      >
      > By making the change you did, it now senses when you select 80 or 40m frequencies for the Si570 and selects the filter in the band 2 position.
      >
      > As you have the cross over points set-up at present, it would select the band 1 filter for frequencies up to 3MHz, band 2 filter for 4 - 8MHz, band 3 for 8 - 16MHz and band 4 for 16 - 30MHz.
      >
      > The reason for using Winrad to carry out the firmware set-up is simply one, that it was the SDR program that Fred developed his supporting dll file for, and as such has continued to be the main focus of his firmware development.
      >
      > Earlier in the year, I worked with Fred in testing the compatibility of his firmware with all of the available versions of PSDR, Rocky, and use with the SDR-kits USB synthersiser and Tony's USB xtall interface. The current v15.10 is the result of that work.
      >
      > For many of us, particularly those interested in using the v9.0 with VHF and Microwave converters / transverters, Winrad is by far the best SDR application for weak signal working as the waterfall display knocks spots off the PSDR one in particular. PSDR has all the 'bells and whistles' but the basic performance is not as good.
      >
      > Everyone has their favourites, for varying reasons, that's the beauty of SDR, one piece of hardware, many program options!
      >
      > Have fun,
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, K9ACT <K9ACT@> wrote:
      > >
      > > g8voip wrote:
      > > > Ok, I will try and simplify it further, if that is at all possible!
      > >
      > > Must be as I did what you said and it now works.
      > >
      > > Not sure I understand what changing Winrad set up has to do with PwSdr
      > > but there are lots of things I do not understand.
      > >
      > > Nor do I understand how changing Band 1 solves the problem with band 2.
      > >

      > > > I am not sure your approach is the best option if you have no
      > > > interest in 6m. Personally I would have thought having the separate
      > > > filters for 80 and 40m would be better. Having one to cover 40 and 80
      > > > has to be a compromise.
      > >
      > > Probably not but that is the way the plug in boards are set up and they
      > > seemed to work well enough.
      > >
      > > I would like to have filters centered on 20, 40 and 80 but I do not know

    • g8voip
      Message 32 of 32 , Jun 30 10:15 AM