RxTx 6.3 overheating?

  • w5xz@att.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2009
      my 'shack' IS out in the garage. and it HAS been 100 deg F....
      (at least i dont have to clean it up!)

      my receiver was humming along nicely on 20m cw, looking at all
      the sigs on field day. listening on my 160m vertical at that.
      after about 10-15 minutes, though things start acting goofy.
      audio starts breaking up, display in pSDR-IQ starts jumping
      around..monitoring the LO on a second receiver, the signal
      starts sounding ratty, breaking up....

      all the while, total metered current hanging right around
      100 to 110 ma. i start tweaking the multitude of settings
      in pSDR latency, VAC, etc, to no avail.

      'touch' test, the 5 volt regular on the rxtx is pretty warm.
      the 12v regulator on my wall-wart power supply is pretty warm
      too. i have since fabricated some 'low effort' heatsinks for both.

      'whassup wi dat?'

      my p.s. laying down in the heat? didnt monitor supply voltage
      (yet). after all, only have so many dmm's.