Conexant HD Venice Sound Card

  • delano1981
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
      Hello everyone,

      I just ordered a 40m kit form Tony that I want to run on my Lenovo laptop. I have a question about the soundcard in it. It is a Conexant High Definition Audio- Venice 5045. The problem is it only has a microphone in and not a line-in jack. Can I go in with the mic-in jack? My laptop is running Win. XP, 1.8 Ghz Pentium dual core processor with 1 gb of ram.

      Thanks
    • R R Robson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
        Not familiar with that card.  However, the critical spec is the stereo input.  If the MIC input is like that on most laptops, that input is mono and will be useless for SDR apps.

        Sent: Monday, June 08, 2009 10:55 AM
        Subject: [softrock40] Conexant HD Venice Sound Card

        Hello everyone,

        I just ordered a 40m kit form Tony that I want to run on my Lenovo laptop. I have a question about the soundcard in it. It is a Conexant High Definition Audio- Venice 5045. The problem is it only has a microphone in and not a line-in jack. Can I go in with the mic-in jack? My laptop is running Win. XP, 1.8 Ghz Pentium dual core processor with 1 gb of ram.

        Thanks

      • David Greenberg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
          I would like to know if the ASUS Eee computer can be used with any of the SDR software.

          Thanks,

          David, 4X6IA

        • Tom Hoflich
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
            My experience is that all laptops but the cheapest netbooks sold in the last 2 or so years do have stereo input but not necessarily a seperate line-in.
            I have a Lenovo netbook that has stereo input but not a seperate line-in. It even supports 96k sampling.
            One indication of stereo input is that the mic jack is red or pink.
            So if your Lenovo is less than two years or so old, it is probably OK especially if the mic jack is red or pink.
            You can install free software like Audicity. Plug in a stereo plug into the mic jack and see if you get meter readings on audio on both channels.
            Good luck.

            73, Tom KM5H

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2009
              Thanks for the replies everyone. My laptop is new, I have it for about 6 months. It does have a red color input jack for the mic-in, so maybe it will work.

              Thanks