Re: New NANO PWR micro-controller with USB integrated

  • alexle188
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 4, 2009
      Hi all,

      First of all, I am fully aware of the PIC vs AVR debate - it never ends and ultimately it boils down to individual preferences :-)

      The new PIC has FULL SPEED USB (ie 12 Mbps), so it is in the same class as the AT90USB as far as USB speed is concerned.

      The 18F2553 that we have been using in the UBW is also a full speed USB device. As mentioned, the free (student edition) of the PIC C18 compiler has extensive peripheral lib support. For example, both the USB stack and the i2c libraries are available, so you do hardware assisted USB and I2c.

      (In comparison, the ATTINY45/85 that is used in the USB-I2C Interface runs a USB LOW SPEED - ie 1 Mhbs -, and both the USB and i2c support are firmware based (not hardware assisted) That said, it works very very well for the purpose of Si570 control in SR. Great job done by the firmware developers!

      The AT90USB162 doe NOT have hardware i2c support, but I'm sure a bit-banged i2c routine is available.

      Ultimately, we want a HIGH SPEED USB (ie 480 Mbps) device so that we can support a 96 khz (or even 192 khz) 24 bit audio codec (to replace the sound card and audio cables). Unfortunately the new AVR32 HIGH SPEED USB devices are 144-pin gadgets and it will be very difficult to solder :-)

      So at this stage, my mobo v4.3 design has two ALTERNATIVE uC on board, a 18F2553 (UBW clone) and an AT90USB162. The builder can choose either the PIC or the AVR - so no need to argue and fight!!!

      I will be porting my UBW Emulator firmware to the new design, but I'm hoping some AVR fans will port Fred's v15.10 firmware to the AT90USB.

      73's

      Alex