Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?

  • R R Robson
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 2, 2009
      Another, shorter wav file (compressed with WINZIP) is also available at:

      TX ES 73
      DE Robby WB5RVZ
      NAQCC #2646

      Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?

      Dan, it is a downloaded file, you just play it from one of the software
      aps. PSDR, Rocky and I believe WinRad all have a feature to play the
      files. You don't need to even plug in a USB cable. Check the software
      and you will see the feature I am talking about... usually in the 'files
      or setup' section.

      Bruce, K2BET
      ------------ --------

      dan edwards wrote:

      > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q'
      file and send it to my
      > soundcard,
      > with pc running sdr software.
      and perhaps evaluate my sound card?

      > how do you do that? i'm
      thinking:

      > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound
      card.

      > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the
      other end of
      > the cable)
      >
      > pardon my ignorance if this is
      really mundane..... .....

      href="mailto:pe0fko%40xs4all.nl">pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
      href="mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com">softrock40@yahoogro ups.com

      Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM

      > There are some big I/Q files
      on my website of the I/Q recorder
      > program
      > <
      href="http://home.">http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/

      <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.

      73, Fred
      > PE0FKO
      >
      > Forrest wrote:
      > >

      > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's

      equipment? Are
      > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still
      trying to sort
      > this
      > > SDR business out. I received one of the
      Softrock v9.0 Lite
      > receivers
      > > and plan to get started with
      the construction before long.

      > > Thanks and 73,
      > > Randy KD8G
      > >

      > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security,
      version of virus
      __________

      > The message was checked by ESET Smart
      Security.

      href="http://www.eset.com">http://www.eset. com

    • G3XTZ
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 2, 2009
        Does not seem to be there !

        You can download an IQ file (careful - it's 54MB!) from:

        TX ES 73
        DE Robby WB5RVZ
        NAQCC #2646

        Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

        dan edwards wrote:

        > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
        > soundcard,
        > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
        >
        > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
        >
        > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
        >
        > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
        > the cable)
        >
        > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
        >
        > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
        >

        > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
        > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
        > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
        > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
        >
        > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
        > program
        > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
        > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
        >
        > 73, Fred
        > PE0FKO
        >
        > Forrest wrote:
        > >

        > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
        > equipment? Are
        > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
        > this
        > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
        > receivers
        > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
        > >
        > > Thanks and 73,
        > > Randy KD8G

        > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

        > http://www.eset. com

      • R R Robson
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 2, 2009

          Sorry - typo.  You would think I knew my own call was NOT wbr5rvz!

          TX ES 73
          DE Robby WB5RVZ
          NAQCC #2646

          Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

          dan edwards wrote:

          > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
          > soundcard,
          > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
          >
          > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
          >
          > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
          >
          > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
          > the cable)
          >
          > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
          >
          > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
          >

          > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
          > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
          > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
          > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
          >
          > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
          > program
          > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
          > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
          >
          > 73, Fred
          > PE0FKO
          >
          > Forrest wrote:
          > >

          > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
          > equipment? Are
          > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
          > this
          > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
          > receivers
          > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
          > >
          > > Thanks and 73,
          > > Randy KD8G

          > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

          > http://www.eset. com

        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 2, 2009
            You have heard of screws being left over at the end of a project...
            well.. sometimes, letters are the culprit! :)

            bet

            R R Robson wrote:

            > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/resources/WINRAD_WB5RVZ_PSK_Sample_40m.wav
            > <http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/resources/WINRAD_WB5RVZ_PSK_Sample_40m.wav>
            >

            > Sorry - typo. You would think I knew my own call was NOT wbr5rvz!
            >
            > TX ES 73
            > DE Robby WB5RVZ
            > NAQCC #2646

          • dan edwards
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 7, 2009
              hey fred, PE0FKO

              i took the time to download those BIG I-Q wave files from the netherlands.

              fiddled with powerSDR in demo mode a bit, and.........

              WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an IQ wave file big enough that i have time to tune around
              and fiddle with the receiver a LOT.

              (just cant make it stop, but i dont want to!)

              as a semi-retired dx contester, that cw files is AWESOME!!!

              thanks for putting it up.

              next, the ssb file

              73 from texas, w5xz, dan

              Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

              dan edwards wrote:

              > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
              > soundcard,
              > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
              >
              > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
              >
              > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
              >
              > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
              > the cable)
              >
              > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
              >
              > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
              >

              > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
              > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
              > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
              > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
              >
              > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
              > program
              > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
              > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
              >
              > 73, Fred
              > PE0FKO
              >
              > Forrest wrote:
              > >

              > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
              > equipment? Are
              > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
              > this
              > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
              > receivers
              > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
              > >
              > > Thanks and 73,
              > > Randy KD8G

              > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

              > http://www.eset. com
            • pe0fko
              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                Hi Dan,

                Nice you like the file that much.
                It is funny that you listening in Texas to the stations I received here over in Holland with a 14m wire antenna.
                It is indeed a big file (30 minutes), all the noise cannot be compressed without losing some data. If some like I have more of those files, in fact I have 4 day's of data file from the two contest. I can change the file on the website for a new one.
                It is some times a hard load for the web server, this month only 58 times the file's where downloaded.

                73, Fred
                PE0FKO

                Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

                dan edwards wrote:

                > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
                > soundcard,
                > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
                >
                > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
                >
                > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
                >
                > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
                > the cable)
                >
                > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
                >
                > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
                >

                > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
                > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
                > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
                >
                > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
                > program
                > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
                > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
                >
                > 73, Fred
                > PE0FKO
                >
                > Forrest wrote:
                > >

                > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
                > equipment? Are
                > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
                > this
                > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
                > receivers
                > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
                > >
                > > Thanks and 73,
                > > Randy KD8G

                > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

                > http://www.eset. com

              • dan edwards
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                  hi again fred

                  well over here with cheap-o home dsl service, it took about 3 hrs to
                  download 650 megabytes; did it while i was working in the garden!

                  i dont know what the relationship between mb of IQ file to actual
                  "play time" is, but perhaps you do?

                  i would think a 10 or 15 minute length file 'play' time would be
                  big enough, especially when there is propagation to north america.
                  most of the other IQ wave files I have found are too small to give a beginner enough
                  time to really play with all the receiver controls and tune around
                  a bit.

                  as a dx contester:

                  its quite interesting to listen to. seems the european sigs that are
                  really loud there are also good copy here, mostly. its also very
                  cool to hear my friend W5WMU, where I get to guest op periodically,
                  hammering away, from YOUR end! and the 'big gun' east coast
                  stations, too.

                  thanks again for committing the resources. seems very '21st century'
                  to me!

                  w5xz, texaa

                  Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

                  dan edwards wrote:

                  > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
                  > soundcard,
                  > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
                  >
                  > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
                  >
                  > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
                  >
                  > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
                  > the cable)
                  >
                  > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
                  >
                  > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
                  >

                  > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
                  > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
                  > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                  > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
                  >
                  > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
                  > program
                  > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
                  > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
                  >
                  > 73, Fred
                  > PE0FKO
                  >
                  > Forrest wrote:
                  > >

                  > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
                  > equipment? Are
                  > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
                  > this
                  > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
                  > receivers
                  > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks and 73,
                  > > Randy KD8G

                  > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

                  > http://www.eset. com
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                    Give seven zip, abbreviated as 7z a try. It's lossless and saves a fair amount on file size.

                    Free software too.

                    Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

                    dan edwards wrote:

                    > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
                    > soundcard,
                    > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
                    >
                    > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
                    >
                    > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
                    >
                    > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
                    > the cable)
                    >
                    > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
                    >
                    > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
                    >

                    > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
                    > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
                    > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                    > Date: Monday, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
                    >
                    > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
                    > program
                    > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
                    > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
                    >
                    > 73, Fred
                    > PE0FKO
                    >
                    > Forrest wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
                    > equipment? Are
                    > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
                    > this
                    > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
                    > receivers
                    > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks and 73,
                    > > Randy KD8G

                    > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

                    > http://www.eset. com

                  • pe0fko
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                      Compressing white noise data will not give a compression, never try ed 7zip but expect not a big change in file size.

                      @Dan: the file size at 96ks/s and 16 bit stereo is 16/8 * 2 * 96 = 384 Kbyte/sec --> 23MByte/min

                      73, Fred
                      PE0FKO

                      Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 2:06 PM

                      dan edwards wrote:

                      > say, that seems like a great idea. get an 'I-Q' file and send it to my
                      > soundcard,
                      > with pc running sdr software. and perhaps evaluate my sound card?
                      >
                      > how do you do that? i'm thinking:
                      >
                      > physically connect a cable to the line in on the ound card.
                      >
                      > but wait, what am i to use to 'play' the I-Q file? (the other end of
                      > the cable)
                      >
                      > pardon my ignorance if this is really mundane..... .....
                      >
                      > 73 from texas, w5xz, dan
                      >

                      > From: pe0fko <pe0fko@xs4all. nl>
                      > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Rocky I/Q files available anywhere?
                      > To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
                      > Date: Monda y, June 1, 2009, 8:53 AM
                      >
                      > There are some big I/Q files on my website of the I/Q recorder
                      > program
                      > <http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/IQRec/
                      > <http://home. ict.nl/%7Efredkr om/pe0fko/ IQRec/>>.
                      >
                      > 73, Fred
                      > PE0FKO
                      >
                      > Forrest wrote:
                      > >

                      > > Will Rocky play an I/Q file recorded on someone else's
                      > equipment? Are
                      > > any of those files available anywhere? I'm still trying to sort
                      > this
                      > > SDR business out. I received one of the Softrock v9.0 Lite
                      > receivers
                      > > and plan to get started with the construction before long.
                      > >
                      > > Thanks and 73,
                      > > Randy KD8G

                      > signature database 4123 (20090602) __________

                      > http://www.eset. com

                    • Forrest
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                        Fred,

                        The file was amazing to listen to. It truly is a "slice of time" preserved for later. The concept of recording a big chunk of the band just blows me away. I preferred using WinRad to Rocky but both did a great job.

                        If you have more files available I'd love to download them too. I would really like to hear some North American SS or Field Day CW files. Once I get set up I'll have to try my hand at recording.

                        Thanks es 73,
                        Randy KD8G
                      • pe0fko
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 8, 2009
                          >> It truly is a "slice of time" preserved for later.
                          The "Time machine" <http://www.expandedspectrumsystems.com/prod2.html> was actual one of the SDR RX and TX that I looked at many years ago. It stores the data in the beginning on a video recorder :-)

                          The I&Q data files can also be transmitted with v.a. a softrock RXTX to play with your receiver. :-)

                          73, Fred
                          PE0FKO