Weak sig detection & SoftRock Lite II on 10m?

  • patbilldavis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
      Hi Guys

      Two questions:

      (1) I have used Rocky, PowerSDR, Winrad, KGKSDR with my VHF/UHF
      /Microwave Softrock IF for weak sig detection. Of those I found
      the Rocky waterfall display to be best for weak sig detection.
      (the presence of a signal, not necessarily "copying" the signal) ie EME
      or weak tropo.

      Has anyone found any Windows compatible IQ software that is better??

      (2) Since we no longer have a V7 10m receiver, has anyone modified a
      SoftRock Lite II for 10m? If so, what have been your observations? I'm
      always on the hunt for 28Mhz SDR gear for IF use at VHF/UHF/Microwave.
      A V9 is an option, but looking for a entry level SDR option.

      Thanks ... Bill K0AWU EN37ed
    • Jeff Blaine
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 2, 2009
        Bill,

        While it's not a software solution - I do have a suggestion. Put a low
        noise pre in the front of that board - the sensitivity of the SR2 is
        somewhat less than the V9.0 although I do not yet have final numbers.
        Looks like it's about 5-10db or so though.

        A simple fix is to put a z10000 in front of it and that will drop your
        MDS by 10-15dbm depending on gain. If you omit the R906 resistor, the
        open loop gain is around 20dbm. Draws 20ma and has a nice NF.

        Loved the one I bought so much I purchased 2 more...

        Hope it helps!

        73/jeff/ac0c