Re: [softrock40] ASUS Sonar D2 sound card at 192 Khz ?

  • Chris Albertson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
      On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM, ed.murphy31 <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:
      > Hi All.
      >
      > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.

      Almost all sound cards are designed for audio recording. Many have
      filters to limit to bandwidth to about 20Hz to 20KHz. However some
      cheap ones might only have 6db per octave RC filters so you can get a
      bit higher. Better cards migh have some tighter filters. For audio
      recording you really don't want anything above 40Khz even if you can
      sample at 192K

      All is not lost. It is still better to sample a 40Khz bandwidth
      signal at 192K than at 96K. While you can get more bandwidth you do
      reduce the noise by gaining one bit of effective resolution.

      You can test yours. Put a signal in from some kind of audio signal
      generator or even a wide spectrum white noise source or square wave.
      Then record the signal to a .wav file using whatever software you have
      (maybe it came with the sound card?) Look at the power spectrum of
      the recorded file. It don't know anything about PC Windows software
      bt this is pretty easy on a Mac or Linux. I assume Windows has some
      kind of audio recording/editing software too.
      --
      =====
      Chris Albertson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
        ASUS Xonar sound card should come with a test program from rightmark called RMAA6.2.3. The test guide is shown in the last pages of the full manual found on the installation CD. My installation CD did not have the test program with it; however I found it at the download site of rightmark.org. Also there is a pdf file showing how to run the program on an ASUS Xonar D2.

        I have not tried this on my Xonar D1 card yet.

        The test software is free. It is found at:

        http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

        And, the pdf of the Test Guide is at: http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/Xonar_D2_RMAA605_TestGuide_V12.pdf

        WB4MXM
        Jerry

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

        > Hi All.
        >
        > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
        >
        > Is the problem with the Sonar D2 sound card or with the software ?
        >
        > Regards
        > Ed Murphy
        > GM3SBC

      • ed.murphy31
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
          Hello All, Thanks for the additional comments. When I use 96khz sample the SDR software works fine with 48Khz span either side of centre.
          I have just completed a test using the Rmaa software and it suggests that the D2 has 20Hz to 20Khz response with a very rapid cutoff at 20Khz. Strange for I get more than that on the SDR when sampling at 96Khz. Time to get the AF generator connected to it, like we use to do in the old days !
          Regards
          Ed Murphy