Re: ASUS Sonar D2 sound card at 192 Khz ?

  • ed.murphy31
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2009
      -Thank you all for the replies. I have been using 6.2 lite and V9 RX. Line input is being used. I suppose I could do a frequency response check on the D2 and see what it is up to. The D2 is a very fine top of the range card, I can achieve -130 dbm MDS no problem with the V9 RX. Only this frequency span is bugging me. I shall have a look at the filtering on the AF amplifiers on the 6.2 as well.
      Thanks again for your suggestions.
      Best Regards
      Ed GM3SBC

      -- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "netnovel2005" <ja7tdo@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have XONAR D1, not D2.
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@> wrote:
      > > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
      >
      > Did you setup mixer including of XONAR?
      > If you select mic input on recording section,
      > you get filtered sound.
      > to get full sampling sound, select line input on mixer.
      >
      > I hope you can get 192kHz sampling.
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Miura
      > JA7TDO

    • drmail377
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
        Ed, What happens if you set the sampling rate to 96kHz?

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

        > -Thank you all for the replies. I have been using 6.2 lite and V9 RX. Line input is being used. I suppose I could do a frequency response check on the D2 and see what it is up to. The D2 is a very fine top of the range card, I can achieve -130 dbm MDS no problem with the V9 RX. Only this frequency span is bugging me. I shall have a look at the filtering on the AF amplifiers on the 6.2 as well.
        > Thanks again for your suggestions.
        > Best Regards
        > Ed GM3SBC
        >
        > -- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "netnovel2005" <ja7tdo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I have XONAR D1, not D2.
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@> wrote:
        > > > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
        > >
        > > Did you setup mixer including of XONAR?
        > > If you select mic input on recording section,
        > > you get filtered sound.
        > > to get full sampling sound, select line input on mixer.
        > >
        > > I hope you can get 192kHz sampling.
        > >
        > > 73
        > >
        > > Miura
        > > JA7TDO

      • Chris Albertson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
          On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM, ed.murphy31 <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:
          > Hi All.
          >
          > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.

          Almost all sound cards are designed for audio recording. Many have
          filters to limit to bandwidth to about 20Hz to 20KHz. However some
          cheap ones might only have 6db per octave RC filters so you can get a
          bit higher. Better cards migh have some tighter filters. For audio
          recording you really don't want anything above 40Khz even if you can
          sample at 192K

          All is not lost. It is still better to sample a 40Khz bandwidth
          signal at 192K than at 96K. While you can get more bandwidth you do
          reduce the noise by gaining one bit of effective resolution.

          You can test yours. Put a signal in from some kind of audio signal
          generator or even a wide spectrum white noise source or square wave.
          Then record the signal to a .wav file using whatever software you have
          (maybe it came with the sound card?) Look at the power spectrum of
          the recorded file. It don't know anything about PC Windows software
          bt this is pretty easy on a Mac or Linux. I assume Windows has some
          kind of audio recording/editing software too.
          --
          =====
          Chris Albertson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 2, 2009
            ASUS Xonar sound card should come with a test program from rightmark called RMAA6.2.3. The test guide is shown in the last pages of the full manual found on the installation CD. My installation CD did not have the test program with it; however I found it at the download site of rightmark.org. Also there is a pdf file showing how to run the program on an ASUS Xonar D2.

            I have not tried this on my Xonar D1 card yet.

            The test software is free. It is found at:

            http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

            And, the pdf of the Test Guide is at: http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/Xonar_D2_RMAA605_TestGuide_V12.pdf

            WB4MXM
            Jerry

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

            > Hi All.
            >
            > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
            >
            > Is the problem with the Sonar D2 sound card or with the software ?
            >
            > Regards
            > Ed Murphy
            > GM3SBC

          • ed.murphy31
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3, 2009
              Hello All, Thanks for the additional comments. When I use 96khz sample the SDR software works fine with 48Khz span either side of centre.
              I have just completed a test using the Rmaa software and it suggests that the D2 has 20Hz to 20Khz response with a very rapid cutoff at 20Khz. Strange for I get more than that on the SDR when sampling at 96Khz. Time to get the AF generator connected to it, like we use to do in the old days !
              Regards
              Ed Murphy