Re: Dead Softrock v9

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2009
      Hi Mike,

      I wonder which firmware version and SDR program you were using when it died?

      It is very unlikely that you could 'erase' the firmware within the AVR chip, perhaps something has got corrupted in the 'EEPROM' part.

      I would try using Winrad with Fred PE0FKO's 'Winrad' dll file, and going through the set-up screens, accessed pressing the 'H' key.

      On the 'Si570' tab, you can reset to factory default, and on the 'Calibration' tab, you can reset it to the default frequency 114285000Hz.

      Sounds like the USB side is communicating ok, so maybe a bad joint on the I2C lines (SDA / SCL) to the Si570 if it is failing to communicate with that chip. Check and remake the joints on the Si570.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "mmjones_80128" <mikej@...> wrote:

      > My softrock v9 which has been working perfectly for several weeks has suddenly died. When I run the program "DG8SAQ SI-570-USB-Test" the "Test USB" button returns all the correct values, but when I click the "Read SI570 Registers" button registers 7,8,9,10,11, & 12 all have zeros.
      >

      > I also ran the "USB-Synth' program, went to setup, and when I click the "Calibrate to factory startup frequency" button after a few seconds I get a message box pop up which says "Floating point division by zero"
      >
      > I get the feeling that the eeprom contents have been cleared to zero but that's just a guess.
      >
      > Does anyone have an idea or can point me to any other test tools?

    • mmjones_80128
      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2009
        I think I was playing with Rocky 3.6 when things stopped working.
        I have tried Winrad - it used to work great - and when I click the "factory default" button in the SI570 tab it doesn't do anything, but when I click on the "Calibrate" button in the Calibrate tab it pops up a message box that says "SI570 chip not powered on?"

        If I try bringing up the SI570 menus by pressing "H" with the power to the softrock off it tells me that it doesn't see the SI570 and I should click "start". When I click Start" and start Winrad then the SI570 "H" first page says "USB Si570 Connected v15.10" so I believe that power is correct.

        When I click the Reset Crystal frequency button I get a pop up which says " Error msg: USB_control_msg:Sending control message failed,win error:The device does not recognize the command" and then when I click OK on that pop another one comes up that says "Error setting frequency to 14.107037 MHz"

        The softrock is mounted safely in a metal box so I don't know how anything could have come loose or become disconnected.

        Thanks & 73 - Mike

        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2009
          Hi Mike,

          It looks like the USB side is all working fine as you can get the confirmation of the firmware issue (v15.10) displayed in Winrad. You would be able to get that far if the USB was not working properly.

          I still think your problem lies in the communication between the AVR chip and the Si570. It would not do any harm to visually inspect the joints on the Si570 and re-flow all of them, all too easy to make a bad joint there in the first place.

          Perhaps if Fred PE0FKO reads this, he can comment further on the error message you got, but I suspect it was a result of failing to read from the Si570.

          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2009
            Hi Bob,

            The ham that built the radio for me has graciously offered to have a look at it and fix anything that he finds (I've got physical problems that prevent me from doing much more than unscrewing the box) so I'll take him up on his offer and see what he sees.

            > Hi Mike,
            >
            > It looks like the USB side is all working fine as you can get the confirmation of the firmware issue (v15.10) displayed in Winrad. You would be able to get that far if the USB was not working properly.
            >
            > I still think your problem lies in the communication between the AVR chip and the Si570. It would not do any harm to visually inspect the joints on the Si570 and re-flow all of them, all too easy to make a bad joint there in the first place.
            >
            > Perhaps if Fred PE0FKO reads this, he can comment further on the error message you got, but I suspect it was a result of failing to read from the Si570.
            >
            > 73, Bob G8VOI
          • pe0fko
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2009
              > the "Calibrate" button in the Calibrate tab it pops up a message box
              that says "SI570 chip not powered on?"
              As the code of ExtIO_Si570 shows the the "SI570 chip not powered on?"
              message appears when there is something wrong with the RECALL Si570
              command, the USB connection or the i2c bus error. I think the latest is
              the problem, also I read that the si570 registers returns all zero's.
              That means the I2C SDA line is connected to the ground, normal it is
              +3.3V. I expect somewhere a short (or a open of the R from SDA to +3.3V).

              73, Fred
              PE0FKO

              void CExtIOTabBladCalibrate::OnCaliNowA()
              {
              UpdateData();

              byte reg[6],i2cerror;

              // Register 135 RECALL
              if (usbControlMsgIN(0x20, (135 << 8) + Value.Si570.iI2CAddr, 0x01,
              (char*)&i2cerror, 1) == 1 &&
              i2cerror == 0)
              {
              if (usbGetSi570Registers(reg)) // Change
              freq to default startup
              {
              m_dXtalFreq = GetFreqFromReg(reg, 1.0); // Calc
              freq = xtal * RFREQ / N

              // xtal = freq / (RFREQ / N)
              m_dXtalFreq = Value.CAL.dFactoryStartupFreq / m_dXtalFreq;

              SetXTalFreq(m_dXtalFreq); // Set new xtal
              SetHWLO(Value.LOFrequency); // Reset
              to LO freq again

              SetXtalFreqText(m_dXtalFreq);
              UpdateData(false);

              return;
              }
              }

              AfxMessageBox("Si570 chip not powerd on?");
              }