ASUS Sonar D2 sound card at 192 Khz ?

  • ed.murphy31
    Message 1 of 9 , May 30, 2009
      Hi All.

      Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.

      Is the problem with the Sonar D2 sound card or with the software ?

      Regards
      Ed Murphy
      GM3SBC
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 9 , May 30, 2009
        Hi Ed,

        There could be a couple of things:

        The sound card might have some filtering on the front-end

        You have not said which receiver you are using, with some of the earlier single band SoftRock's, the op amp outputs rolled off above 48kHz quite rapidly

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

        > Hi All.
        >
        > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
        >
        > Is the problem with the Sonar D2 sound card or with the software ?
        >
        > Regards
        > Ed Murphy
        > GM3SBC

      • Christos Nikolaou
        Message 3 of 9 , May 30, 2009
          Ed,

          I have to agree with Bob, you need to specify your setup.

          Regardles though, the audio card industry do not have in mind our sdr operations. So some of them are placing filters (low-pass or anti-aliasing) and the result is although the sampling rate is 192K it shows nothing beyond 48K.
          Also even in the case where no such filters exist, the ADC chip itself has no linear behaviour so either roll-off occurs beyond lets say ~60KHz from DC (effective 120K sampling rate) or the inserted noise makes theses portions to have much higher noisefloor and less sensitivity.
          From experience I can say that the most reasonable sampling rate all decent cards have is 96KHz.
          Yet again the 192K is feasible with the high end cards and the 'what you pay is what you get' seems to fit here :-)

          73,
          Christos SV1EIA

          > Hi Ed,
          >
          > There could be a couple of things:
          >
          > The sound card might have some filtering on the front-end
          >
          > You have not said which receiver you are using, with some of the earlier single band SoftRock's, the op amp outputs rolled off above 48kHz quite rapidly
          >
          > 73, Bob G8VOI
          >

          > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi All.
          > >
          > > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
          > >
          > > Is the problem with the Sonar D2 sound card or with the software ?
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Ed Murphy
          > > GM3SBC

        • netnovel2005
          Message 4 of 9 , May 30, 2009
            Hello,

            I have XONAR D1, not D2.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:
            > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.

            Did you setup mixer including of XONAR?
            If you select mic input on recording section,
            you get filtered sound.
            to get full sampling sound, select line input on mixer.

            I hope you can get 192kHz sampling.

            73

            Miura
            JA7TDO
          • ed.murphy31
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1 1:52 AM
              -Thank you all for the replies. I have been using 6.2 lite and V9 RX. Line input is being used. I suppose I could do a frequency response check on the D2 and see what it is up to. The D2 is a very fine top of the range card, I can achieve -130 dbm MDS no problem with the V9 RX. Only this frequency span is bugging me. I shall have a look at the filtering on the AF amplifiers on the 6.2 as well.
              Thanks again for your suggestions.
              Best Regards
              Ed GM3SBC

              -- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "netnovel2005" <ja7tdo@...> wrote:

              > Hello,
              >
              > I have XONAR D1, not D2.
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@> wrote:
              > > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
              >
              > Did you setup mixer including of XONAR?
              > If you select mic input on recording section,
              > you get filtered sound.
              > to get full sampling sound, select line input on mixer.
              >
              > I hope you can get 192kHz sampling.
              >
              > 73
              >
              > Miura
              > JA7TDO

            • drmail377
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 2 8:14 AM
                Ed, What happens if you set the sampling rate to 96kHz?

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

                > -Thank you all for the replies. I have been using 6.2 lite and V9 RX. Line input is being used. I suppose I could do a frequency response check on the D2 and see what it is up to. The D2 is a very fine top of the range card, I can achieve -130 dbm MDS no problem with the V9 RX. Only this frequency span is bugging me. I shall have a look at the filtering on the AF amplifiers on the 6.2 as well.
                > Thanks again for your suggestions.
                > Best Regards
                > Ed GM3SBC
                >
                > -- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "netnovel2005" <ja7tdo@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello,
                > >
                > > I have XONAR D1, not D2.
                > >
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@> wrote:
                > > > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
                > >
                > > Did you setup mixer including of XONAR?
                > > If you select mic input on recording section,
                > > you get filtered sound.
                > > to get full sampling sound, select line input on mixer.
                > >
                > > I hope you can get 192kHz sampling.
                > >
                > > 73
                > >
                > > Miura
                > > JA7TDO

              • Chris Albertson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2 9:35 AM
                  On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 12:20 AM, ed.murphy31 <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:
                  > Hi All.
                  >
                  > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.

                  Almost all sound cards are designed for audio recording. Many have
                  filters to limit to bandwidth to about 20Hz to 20KHz. However some
                  cheap ones might only have 6db per octave RC filters so you can get a
                  bit higher. Better cards migh have some tighter filters. For audio
                  recording you really don't want anything above 40Khz even if you can
                  sample at 192K

                  All is not lost. It is still better to sample a 40Khz bandwidth
                  signal at 192K than at 96K. While you can get more bandwidth you do
                  reduce the noise by gaining one bit of effective resolution.

                  You can test yours. Put a signal in from some kind of audio signal
                  generator or even a wide spectrum white noise source or square wave.
                  Then record the signal to a .wav file using whatever software you have
                  (maybe it came with the sound card?) Look at the power spectrum of
                  the recorded file. It don't know anything about PC Windows software
                  bt this is pretty easy on a Mac or Linux. I assume Windows has some
                  kind of audio recording/editing software too.
                  --
                  =====
                  Chris Albertson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 2 1:48 PM
                    ASUS Xonar sound card should come with a test program from rightmark called RMAA6.2.3. The test guide is shown in the last pages of the full manual found on the installation CD. My installation CD did not have the test program with it; however I found it at the download site of rightmark.org. Also there is a pdf file showing how to run the program on an ASUS Xonar D2.

                    I have not tried this on my Xonar D1 card yet.

                    The test software is free. It is found at:

                    http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/rmaa6.exe

                    And, the pdf of the Test Guide is at: http://audio.rightmark.org/downloads/Xonar_D2_RMAA605_TestGuide_V12.pdf

                    WB4MXM
                    Jerry

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "ed.murphy31" <ed.murphy31@...> wrote:

                    > Hi All.
                    >
                    > Has anyone tried Winrad or PSDR using 192 khz. I find that neither work for me. The programs display up to 48 Khz either side of centre then falls away to nothing as the span increases.
                    >
                    > Is the problem with the Sonar D2 sound card or with the software ?
                    >
                    > Regards
                    > Ed Murphy
                    > GM3SBC

                  • ed.murphy31
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 3 12:29 PM
                      Hello All, Thanks for the additional comments. When I use 96khz sample the SDR software works fine with 48Khz span either side of centre.
                      I have just completed a test using the Rmaa software and it suggests that the D2 has 20Hz to 20Khz response with a very rapid cutoff at 20Khz. Strange for I get more than that on the SDR when sampling at 96Khz. Time to get the AF generator connected to it, like we use to do in the old days !
                      Regards
                      Ed Murphy