Re: [softrock40] Intro

  • KD5NWA
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 16, 2006
      • Could you post a link? Is it someone making a copy of one of the SoftRocks or a is it something similar?

      At 11:46 AM 3/16/2006, you wrote:
      Wow, what a markup they are putting on the kit.

      $15 from Tony including shipping to the UK,  £29.95 (approx $52) from W
      and S!

      But they do put the instructions and schematics on a CD along with a
      copy of Rocky ;-)

      John  g0orx/n6lyt

      bty229065 wrote:
      > I have just joined the group after reading the article in RadCom by
      > VK6VZ and VK6APH. I have also ordered a kit from Waters and Stanton in
      > the UK who they say should delivered the first week in April - no not
      > April 1st! Should be fun!
      >
      > Does anybody have news of a software defined TX to go with the RX?
      >
      > Colin - M5FRA

      Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Cecil Bayona
      KD5NWA
      www.qrpradio.com

      I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't; only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...

    • bty229065

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 16, 2006

          bty229065 wrote:
          > I have just joined the group after reading the article in RadCom by
          > VK6VZ and VK6APH. I have also ordered a kit from Waters and Stanton in
          > the UK who they say should delivered the first week in April - no not
          > April 1st! Should be fun!
          >
          > Does anybody have news of a software defined TX to go with the RX?
          >
          > Colin - M5FRA
        • M5FRA
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 16, 2006
            On 16 Mar 2006 at 17:46, John Melton wrote:

            > Wow, what a markup they are putting on the kit.
            >
            > $15 from Tony including shipping to the UK, £29.95 (approx $52) from W
            > and S!
            >
            > But they do put the instructions and schematics on a CD along with a
            > copy of Rocky ;-)

            John, I looked on the AmQrp site earlier today and it says all the kits have
            been sold. Who is Tony? Sorry, but it seems you have to be 'in the know'
            on this one. I can always cancel the W&S order!

            73 Colin M5FRA -- GQRP 848
          • John Melton
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 16, 2006
              http://www.wsplc.com/acatalog/Kits_-_Softrock.html

              KD5NWA wrote:
              > * Could you post a link? Is it someone making a copy of one of the
              > SoftRocks or a is it something similar?
            • John H. Fisher
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 16, 2006
                By all means, cancel your W&S order. You can order directly from Tony. I
                hate to see anybody get ripped off here. If I were Tony, I wouldn't be
                selling to W&S either. My 2 cents worth :-) And Bill did you really
                authorize W&S to use your picture in their ad on their website.

                M5FRA wrote:
                > On 16 Mar 2006 at 17:46, John Melton wrote:
                >
                > > Wow, what a markup they are putting on the kit.
                > >
                > > $15 from Tony including shipping to the UK, £29.95 (approx $52) from W
                > > and S!
                > >
                > > But they do put the instructions and schematics on a CD along with a
                > > copy of Rocky ;-)
                >
                > John, I looked on the AmQrp site earlier today and it says all the
                > kits have
                > been sold. Who is Tony? Sorry, but it seems you have to be 'in the know'
                > on this one. I can always cancel the W&S order!
                >

                > 73 Colin M5FRA -- GQRP 848

                > Shortwave receivers
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Shortwave+receivers&w1=Shortwave+receivers&w2=Ham+radio&c=2&s=40&.sig=MB4yUGINw9tizVKS3Upr0w>
                > Ham radio
                > <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ham+radio&w1=Shortwave+receivers&w2=Ham+radio&c=2&s=40&.sig=XNtLoznpXE_hqNE4dvfaHA>

                Regards,
                John

                email: k5jhf@...
                photos: http://photos.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
                files: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/k5jhf@...
                web page: http://www.geocities.com/k5jhf@...
                call sign: K5JHF
              • Zack Widup
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                  Hi All,

                  I just joined the group. I just got a Softrock Ensemble VHF receiver kit. I'm assembling it now. I am hoping it will work as an assist to making microwave QSO's. Most of my microwave gear has a 144 MHz IF. It could take out the variable of having to both tune around for the station's frequency and try to point the dish antenna at the same time.

                  73, Zack W9SZ

                • Dave Sublette

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                      Hi Dave,

                      I think you inspired me to get it on another group we're on.
                      :-)

                      73, Zack W9SZ

                      On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Dave Sublette <k4to@...> wrote:

                      Welcome Zack,

                      I have the Ensemble  II Rx that I do the same thing with. It is really slick.

                      Dave

                      On 8/1/2012 10:58 AM, Zack Widup wrote:

                      Hi All,

                      I just joined the group. I just got a Softrock Ensemble VHF receiver kit. I'm assembling it now. I am hoping it will work as an assist to making microwave QSO's. Most of my microwave gear has a 144 MHz IF. It could take out the variable of having to both tune around for the station's frequency and try to point the dish antenna at the same time.

                      73, Zack W9SZ

                    • MIKE DURKIN
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                        What microwave group are you in?

                        Mike KC7NOA

                        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                          The one Dave and I are both on is the Mid-America Microwave Society (MAMS) group at mailman.qth.net. I'm on a bunch of other ones besides that one.

                          73, Zack W9SZ

                          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                          Message 12 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                            So if I joined http://mailman.qth.net/ will be getting emails from microwave users .... or do I need more information

                            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                            From: w9sz.zack@...
                            Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:38:33 -0500
                            Subject: Re: [softrock40] Intro

                            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                            From: w9sz.zack@...
                            Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:58:29 -0500

                            Hi All,

                            I just joined the group. I just got a Softrock Ensemble VHF receiver kit. I'm assembling it now. I am hoping it will work as an assist to making microwave QSO's. Most of my microwave gear has a 144 MHz IF. It could take out the variable of having to both tune around for the station's frequency and try to point the dish antenna at the same time.

                            73, Zack W9SZ

                          • Geoff Blake
                            Message 13 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                              Hi Group,

                              Fairly new to the group, only one post thus far, but I have read many back messages and I also recognise many names/callsigns from other areas too.

                              I have a simple question or three - no doubt require complex answers.

                              1) is the RX ensemble 6/4/2m still available? I get different answers depending where I look. I think the answer is yes, but I also have seen "retired" against the entry on some web listings.

                              2) if so, is there a TX version? - no great power required. +30dBm will be more than adequate. In this case I think the answer is no.

                              3) is there any chance of a 70cm version in the near future? Again I have seen no suggestion of such.

                              My interest, if not obvious, is for driving transverters for microwave use.

                              Thanks Geoff

                              Geoff Blake,   G8GNZ    JO01fq:   Chelmsford,  Essex,  UK
                              <geoff@...>    or   <melecerties@...>
                              Using Linux: Ubuntu 11.04 on Intel or Debian on UltraSparc
                              and even on the NAS.     Avoiding Micro$oft like the plague.
                            • Zack Widup
                              Message 14 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                                Hi Geoff,

                                I just bought the current Ensemble VHF version. As far as I can tell, only a receive version is available now. The documentation is a little hard to find but it's here:

                                http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble_rx_ii_vhf/

                                This is a full Softrock receiver, not just a converter. The instructions say you can make it for 50, 70 or 144 MHz depending on which parts you use. There are parts in the kit for all three bands.

                                No idea if a 70 cm version will be available some day.

                                73, Zack W9SZ

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012

                                    > 1) is the RX ensemble 6/4/2m still available? I get different answers
                                    > depending where I look. I think the answer is yes, but I also have seen
                                    > "retired" against the entry on some web listings.

                                    Geoff,

                                    Really only Tony can answer these questions, however his site says "Check back soon."

                                    > 2) if so, is there a TX version? - no great power required. +30dBm will be
                                    > more than adequate. In this case I think the answer is no.

                                    There was discussion, only Tony can say if there is to be one.

                                    > 3) is there any chance of a 70cm version in the near future? Again I have
                                    > seen no suggestion of such.

                                    Probably not.

                                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                  • Geoff Blake
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012
                                      Hi Alan, Group,

                                      Thank you for your reply Alan, I normally check my email two or three
                                      times a day and have been checking Tony's site each time. I don't know
                                      if you are aware but the ukmicrowave group are working on a 432MHz
                                      version I believe. My understanding is that this version will
                                      interface to the PC via Ethernet but no timescale is available.

                                      Thanks

                                      Geoff G8GNZ