Re: Rocky and Windows Vista

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2009
      Hi Dave,

      Welcome back!

      It is unfortunate that you have already ordered the kits from that source, they are considerably cheaper purchasing directly from Tony, KB9YIG, who produces the kits.

      As far as Rocky and Vista go, I have not tried it myself (Vista free zone here), but there have been a lot of reported problems concerning sound cards failing to be recognised by Rocky. Do a 'search' and look back through the older postings and you should see how others have overcome this.

      Rocky is the simplest SDR program to get running, and the one used for testing during the kit build. Once you find your feet, programs like Winrad and PowerSRD do offer a lot more facilities. Everyone has their own favourites!

      Hope you have as much fun as I have had once you get the kits built,

      73, GL, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "oxleydavid38" <oxley.david@...> wrote:

      > I'm hoping the start SWL after many years - last listened seriously in late 1950's using BC348 so I'm keen to see how things have changed.
      >
      > I have ordered,as a self-present for my 70th birthday,from Radioworld UK, kits for SOFTROCKS SOFTROCK-80-LITE v6.2 and the Software Defined Radio 80m SOFTROCK-HF-LITE-USB 1.8-30MHz receiver. I could not find a source here in France ( Nr Brest in Brittany).
      >

      > Anyhow to get started before the kits arrive I have tried to install Rocky. I have an HP Media Centre PC with Windows Vista Premium which I would prefer to use as I can have the Windows menus in both French and English. I downloaded Rocky zip and it unzipped OK. The programme apppeared to install (desktop icon OK) but closes during or just after start up.
      >
      > My installation of Rocky on an older machine using Windows XP seems to work fine but the machine its slower and its Windows menus are only in French - c'est la vie
      >
      > Power SDR will load under Vista and appears to work.
      >
      > Should I stick with it or try to sort Rocky out - if so any ideas?
      >
      > Thanks to all of you who have made such progress in ham SDR possible.
      >
      > Dave

    • Tom Hoflich
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2009
        Hi Dave,

        You are in for a treet with SDR.

        The problem using VISTA is a problem with Rocky rather than a problem with VISTA. Vista and Rocky are not able to communicate about internal sound cards.
        There are two solutions to the problem (one software and one hardware).
        The software is installing Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) software. It is not free but works.
        The hardware solution is to use an external USB sound card such as
        UCA202 by Behringer.
        I have used both.
        Windows 7 is coming and the same situation will exist.
        (from a Linux free zone)

        73, Tom KM5H

        > It is unfortunate that you have already ordered the kits
        > from that source, they are considerably cheaper purchasing
        > directly from Tony, KB9YIG, who produces the kits.
        >
        > As far as Rocky and Vista go, I have not tried it myself
        > (Vista free zone here), but there have been a lot of
        > reported problems concerning sound cards failing to be
        > recognised by Rocky. Do a 'search' and look back
        > through the older postings and you should see how others
        > have overcome this.
        >
        > Rocky is the simplest SDR program to get running, and the
        > one used for testing during the kit build. Once you find
        > your feet, programs like Winrad and PowerSRD do offer a lot
        > more facilities. Everyone has their own favourites!
        >
        > Hope you have as much fun as I have had once you get the
        > kits built,
        >
        > 73, GL, Bob G8VOI
        >

        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "oxleydavid38"
        > <oxley.david@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I'm hoping the start SWL after many years - last
        > listened seriously in late 1950's using BC348 so
        > I'm keen to see how things have changed.
        > >
        > > I have ordered,as a self-present for my 70th
        > birthday,from Radioworld UK, kits for SOFTROCKS
        > SOFTROCK-80-LITE v6.2 and the Software Defined Radio 80m
        > SOFTROCK-HF-LITE-USB 1.8-30MHz receiver. I could not find a
        > source here in France ( Nr Brest in Brittany).
        > >

        > > Anyhow to get started before the kits arrive I have
        > tried to install Rocky. I have an HP Media Centre PC with
        > Windows Vista Premium which I would prefer to use as I can
        > have the Windows menus in both French and English. I
        > downloaded Rocky zip and it unzipped OK. The programme
        > apppeared to install (desktop icon OK) but closes during or
        > just after start up.
        > >
        > > My installation of Rocky on an older machine using
        > Windows XP seems to work fine but the machine its slower
        > and its Windows menus are only in French - c'est la vie
        > >
        > > Power SDR will load under Vista and appears to work.
        > >
        > > Should I stick with it or try to sort Rocky out - if
        > so any ideas?
        > >
        > > Thanks to all of you who have made such progress in
        > ham SDR possible.
        > >
        > > Dave

      • Pete
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2009
          Hi Dave

          You have found out what dozens of others have discovered including myself that Rocky won't work on Vista ... FACT.

          There is a fancy way using two VAC connections but I would not recommend it.

          There is Winrad excellent for general listening. It is just so trouble free with lots of features.

          PowerSDR the latest version V16.1 (?) is really good and again many features and is improving all the time.

          M0GKG SDR is also good with very good noise and hetrodyne reduction features easy to use on TX also. It also has a straightforward and simple, logical and common sense frequency calibration ideal for softrock (I wish the others had it) especially for the stone-age versions of Softrock I run using multiple xtals. Finding the appropriate xtals at rally junk sales was great fun but now with the Progamable xtal SI570 has removed that pleasure... (ham radio always on the advance ...Ho Hum)

          Try these and don't look back, you will be more than pleased.

          You are right Rocky works well on WinXP it also has some very good TX features and a running character decode of PSK built in which is also great. However the use of an VAC to connect your SDR application to your decoder suite works very well indeed especially now on PowerSDR which allows you to listen at the same time as decoding VIZ Morse, without the need to enabling a second VAC for the audio.

          Good luck and you will be impressed!!!

          73 Pete M0FMT

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "oxleydavid38" <oxley.david@...> wrote:

          > I'm hoping the start SWL after many years - last listened seriously in late 1950's using BC348 so I'm keen to see how things have changed.
          >
          > I have ordered,as a self-present for my 70th birthday,from Radioworld UK, kits for SOFTROCKS SOFTROCK-80-LITE v6.2 and the Software Defined Radio 80m SOFTROCK-HF-LITE-USB 1.8-30MHz receiver. I could not find a source here in France ( Nr Brest in Brittany).
          >

          > Anyhow to get started before the kits arrive I have tried to install Rocky. I have an HP Media Centre PC with Windows Vista Premium which I would prefer to use as I can have the Windows menus in both French and English. I downloaded Rocky zip and it unzipped OK. The programme apppeared to install (desktop icon OK) but closes during or just after start up.
          >
          > My installation of Rocky on an older machine using Windows XP seems to work fine but the machine its slower and its Windows menus are only in French - c'est la vie
          >
          > Power SDR will load under Vista and appears to work.
          >
          > Should I stick with it or try to sort Rocky out - if so any ideas?
          >
          > Thanks to all of you who have made such progress in ham SDR possible.
          >
          > Dave

        • R R Robson
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2009
            Tom:

            I have the free version of VAC and I cannot figure out how to set it up so that Rocky recognizes my on-board sound card on my Vista machine.

            Is there a step-by-step tutorial for setting up the Rocky/VAC mashup on a Vista box?  Does one have to have the paid-up VAC software?  I don't mind paying for VAC, but I'd hate to pay for something I cannot figure out how to use.

            TX ES 73
            DE Robby WB5RVZ
            NAQCC #2646

            > It is unfortunate that you have already ordered the
            kits
            > from that source, they are considerably cheaper purchasing

            directly from Tony, KB9YIG, who produces the kits.

            > As far as
            Rocky and Vista go, I have not tried it myself
            > (Vista free zone here),
            but there have been a lot of
            > reported problems concerning sound cards
            failing to be
            > recognised by Rocky. Do a 'search' and look back

            through the older postings and you should see how others
            > have overcome
            this.

            > Rocky is the simplest SDR program to get running, and
            the
            > one used for testing during the kit build. Once you find

            your feet, programs like Winrad and PowerSRD do offer a lot
            > more
            facilities. Everyone has their own favourites!

            > Hope you have as
            much fun as I have had once you get the
            > kits built,
            >
            > 73,
            GL, Bob G8VOI

            href="mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com">softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "oxleydavid38"
            > <oxley.david@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'm hoping the start SWL after many years - last
            > listened seriously
            in late 1950's using BC348 so
            > I'm keen to see how things have
            changed.

            > > I have ordered,as a self-present for my
            70th
            > birthday,from Radioworld UK, kits for SOFTROCKS

            SOFTROCK-80- LITE v6.2 and the Software Defined Radio 80m

            SOFTROCK-HF- LITE-USB 1.8-30MHz receiver. I could not find a
            > source
            here in France ( Nr Brest in Brittany).

            > > Anyhow to get started before the kits arrive I have
            > tried to
            install Rocky. I have an HP Media Centre PC with
            > Windows Vista Premium
            which I would prefer to use as I can
            > have the Windows menus in both
            French and English. I
            > downloaded Rocky zip and it unzipped OK. The
            programme
            > apppeared to install (desktop icon OK) but closes during
            or
            > just after start up.
            > >
            > > My installation of
            Rocky on an older machine using
            > Windows XP seems to work fine but the
            machine its slower
            > and its Windows menus are only in French - c'est la
            vie

            > > Power SDR will load under Vista and appears to
            work.

            > > Should I stick with it or try to sort Rocky out
            - if
            > so any ideas?
            > >
            > > Thanks to all of you who
            have made such progress in
            > ham SDR possible.

            Dave

          • david oxley
            Message 5 of 11 , May 6, 2009
              Hi Bob,

              Thanks for the the reply. Others tell me that Rocky+Vista won't fly. I will try to get up and running using XP + Rocky to minimise range of possible problems.

              73, Dave
              It is unfortunate that you have already ordered the kits from that source, they are considerably cheaper purchasing directly from Tony, KB9YIG, who produces the kits.

              As far as Rocky and Vista go, I have not tried it myself (Vista free zone here), but there have been a lot of reported problems concerning sound cards failing to be recognised by Rocky. Do a 'search' and look back through the older postings and you should see how others have overcome this.

              Rocky is the simplest SDR program to get running, and the one used for testing during the kit build. Once you find your feet, programs like Winrad and PowerSRD do offer a lot more facilities. Everyone has their own favourites!

              Hope you have as much fun as I have had once you get the kits built,

              73, GL, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "oxleydavid38" <oxley.david@ ...> wrote:

              > I'm hoping the start SWL after many years - last listened seriously in late 1950's using BC348 so I'm keen to see how things have changed.
              >
              > I have ordered,as a self-present for my 70th birthday,from Radioworld UK, kits for SOFTROCKS SOFTROCK-80- LITE v6.2 and the Software Defined Radio 80m SOFTROCK-HF- LITE-USB 1.8-30MHz receiver. I could not find a source here in France ( Nr Brest in Brittany).
              >

              > Anyhow to get started before the kits arrive I have tried to install Rocky. I have an HP Media Centre PC with Windows Vista Premium which I would prefer to use as I can have the Windows menus in both French and English. I downloaded Rocky zip and it unzipped OK. The programme apppeared to install (desktop icon OK) but closes during or just after start up.
              >
              > My installation of Rocky on an older machine using Windows XP seems to work fine but the machine its slower and its Windows menus are only in French - c'est la vie
              >
              > Power SDR will load under Vista and appears to work.
              >
              > Should I stick with it or try to sort Rocky out - if so any ideas?
              >
              > Thanks to all of you who have made such progress in ham SDR possible.
              >
              > Dave

            • david oxley
              Message 6 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                Hi Tom,
                Thanks for the reply and info. On balance now I think I'll  start up with XP and Rocky to minimise range of problems.
                73,Dave
                The problem using VISTA is a problem with Rocky rather than a problem with VISTA. Vista and Rocky are not able to communicate about internal sound cards.
                There are two solutions to the problem (one software and one hardware).
                The software is installing Virtual Audio Cable (VAC) software. It is not free but works.
                The hardware solution is to use an external USB sound card such as
                UCA202 by Behringer.
                I have used both.
                Windows 7 is coming and the same situation will exist.
                (from a Linux free zone)

                73, Tom KM5H

                > It is unfortunate that you have already ordered the kits
                > from that source, they are considerably cheaper purchasing
                > directly from Tony, KB9YIG, who produces the kits.
                >
                > As far as Rocky and Vista go, I have not tried it myself
                > (Vista free zone here), but there have been a lot of
                > reported problems concerning sound cards failing to be
                > recognised by Rocky. Do a 'search' and look back
                > through the older postings and you should see how others
                > have overcome this.
                >
                > Rocky is the simplest SDR program to get running, and the
                > one used for testing during the kit build. Once you find
                > your feet, programs like Winrad and PowerSRD do offer a lot
                > more facilities. Everyone has their own favourites!
                >
                > Hope you have as much fun as I have had once you get the
                > kits built,
                >
                > 73, GL, Bob G8VOI
                >

                > --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "oxleydavid38"
                > <oxley.david@ ...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'm hoping the start SWL after many years - last
                > listened seriously in late 1950's using BC348 so
                > I'm keen to see how things have changed.
                > >
                > > I have ordered,as a self-present for my 70th
                > birthday,from Radioworld UK, kits for SOFTROCKS
                > SOFTROCK-80- LITE v6.2 and the Software Defined Radio 80m
                > SOFTROCK-HF- LITE-USB 1.8-30MHz receiver. I could not find a
                > source here in France ( Nr Brest in Brittany).
                > >

                > > Anyhow to get started before the kits arrive I have
                > tried to install Rocky. I have an HP Media Centre PC with
                > Windows Vista Premium which I would prefer to use as I can
                > have the Windows menus in both French and English. I
                > downloaded Rocky zip and it unzipped OK. The programme
                > apppeared to install (desktop icon OK) but closes during or
                > just after start up.
                > >
                > > My installation of Rocky on an older machine using
                > Windows XP seems to work fine but the machine its slower
                > and its Windows menus are only in French - c'est la vie
                > >
                > > Power SDR will load under Vista and appears to work.
                > >
                > > Should I stick with it or try to sort Rocky out - if
                > so any ideas?
                > >
                > > Thanks to all of you who have made such progress in
                > ham SDR possible.
                > >
                > > Dave

              • david oxley
                Message 7 of 11 , May 6, 2009
                  Hi Pete, Thanks for the reply and info.

                   I will try to  start up with Rocky under XP and leave vista out of the problem causing frame for he time being at least.
                  Will also tyry to find Winrad and install .
                  73, Dave

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 9, 2009
                    From: "R R Robson"

                    Is there a step-by-step tutorial for setting up the Rocky/VAC mashup on a
                    Vista box? Does one have to have the paid-up VAC software?

                    I don't think you had an answer, Notes about setting up VAC, KGKSDR, N8VB
                    vCOM Virtual Serial Ports and various digital modes.
                    http://yt1dl.veze.net/sdr.html and somewhere else, maybe a link on my page?
                    Just back from holiday..

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • R R Robson
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 9, 2009
                      Alan:

                      Thanks.  Hope you enjoyed holiday.

                      I briefly read through yt1dl's page and about half way through it called for selecting from among a possible list of sound-cards in a dropdown box.  With Rocky, that dropdown box is never populated!  Ah, well.  Maybe some other time.

                      TX ES 73
                      DE Robby WB5RVZ
                      NAQCC #2646

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 9, 2009
                        Hi Robby,

                        Sorry to take so long to answer.
                        I don't know of any step by step Tutorial for VAC.
                        I found the documentation pretty much worthless.
                        I just tried stuff until I got it to work and did not make notes. Now I have forgotten. One reason for the delay is that I was thinking that I might try to walk thru it again and make some notes. I just have not had the time to do that yet. Maybe some one else can remember.
                        I seem to remember someone having paid for it. Maybe they are lurking around and will pop in with some information.

                        73, Tom KM5H