Re: [softrock40] WARNING - My mistake with 6.3

  • Dale J. Robertson
    Message 1 of 10 , May 2, 2009
      what I meant to say is that I believe he may be (mis)interpreting the "U" in U1 and U2 of your superimposed graphic as a key mark. You might want to consider either a horizontal text orientation or putting the part designations outside the footprint with arrows.

      Dale J. Robertson wrote:

      I believe he is (mis)interpreting the silkscreened "U" in U1 U2 etc as a package key mark.
      like the molded indent in some DIP packages.

      Dale  NV8U

      R R Robson wrote:

      Hi Ross,

      I agree with David.  I need more specificity as to what you mean by the key mark.  I have never had any builders raise an issue with this part of the build instructions.

      See http://www.wb5rvz. com/sdr/RXTX_ V6_3/images/ u1u2_installed. gif which displays the installed ICs with the instructional graphic superimposed.  It worked OK for me (in spite of my sloppy soldering hihi)

      What was it in the instruction text and graphics that may have caused you to make the mistake?

      TX ES 73
      DE Robby WB5RVZ
      NAQCC #2646

      Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 10:07 AM
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] WARNING - My mistake with 6.3

      Hi Ross,

      Can you be more specific regarding the key mark?
      I have the stripe white mark and it seems to be fine. At lest all my op amp tests are fine.

      I am waiting for the Si570 to arrive next week to complete the full testing.

      In any case, thanks for sharing your experience with the group.

      73,

      David 4X6IA

      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2009
        He's referring to the "U" shaped orientation marks at the wrong end of the chip.  Personally, I would have relied in the pin-out designations.  Those orientation legends apply to DIP packaged IC's that have the key molded into them.  SMT's use several different conventions to determine orientation....If I were Bobby, I'd just delete the key marks and go with the pin-out designators.

        72,
        Brian AC7NA

        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2009
          Yep, it was misinterpreting the silkscreened "U" with U1 U2. As I sad before ... It was my mistake.

          Ross
          OK5AZ

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Greenberg <daivi248@...> wrote:

          > Hi Ross,
          >
          > Can you be more specific regarding the key mark?
          > I have the stripe white mark and it seems to be fine. At lest all my op amp tests are fine.
          >
          > I am waiting for the Si570 to arrive next week to complete the full testing.
          >
          > In any case, thanks for sharing your experience with the group.
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > David 4X6IA

        • ross4435897
          Message 4 of 10 , May 2, 2009
            Thank you Robby!
            73!
            Ross
            OK5AZ

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "R R Robson" <rrrobson@...> wrote:

            > DOH! That never occurred to me. I now recall I had put some of TI's graphics on the page to help in the many ways one can identify the 1 pin. One of the graphics spoke of that U and it just connected with me that my "U" as in "U1" of "U2" might be confused with the U shaped indentation on the chip itself.
            >
            > Hopefully the clarification I just added will help prevent such a misunderstanding in the future (see the new page).
            >
            > Mea culpa!
            >
            > TX ES 73
            > DE Robby WB5RVZ
            > NAQCC #2646

          • R R Robson
            Message 5 of 10 , May 2, 2009
              TX, Mike.  I doubt there is any likelihood of someone making that mistake with U8, however.  The biggest problem with U8 is actually seeing the little bugger!

              TX ES 73
              DE Robby WB5RVZ
              NAQCC #2646

              Sent: Saturday, May 02, 2009 11:53 AM
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: WARNING - My mistake with 6.3

              --- In softrock40@yahoogro ups.com, "Dale J. Robertson" <dale@...> wrote:

              > I believe he is
              (mis)interpreting the silkscreened "U" in U1 U2 etc as a
              > package key
              mark.
              > like the molded indent in some DIP packages.
              Hi Dale,

              I think you are right !! I see the same thing for U8 in the oscillator section.

              73, Mike Collins KF4BQ