Re: [softrock40] Re: Netbook computers and SoftRock

  • Rob Frohne
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 30, 2009
      Hi Terry,

      What sample rate do you get with your Acer? Did the sound card work in
      Ubuntu? Is it true stereo in, and how is the sound card for S/N?

      Thanks & 73,

      Rob

      --
      Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
      E.F. Cross School of Engineering
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1 12:09 PM
        Hello Rob. At present, I am only using 48k sampling with the Acer Netbook.
        I use a cheap ($25, no-name) USB sound card purchased via the Internet, and
        a cheap (also USB) sound device board purchased from somebody in Europe.
        They are really meodicre, but adequate for demos, software benchwork, etc.
        I also have an Sound Blaster Extigy, which sort of works, but is very hard
        to get into full duplex under Windows. It works OK under Ubuntu on a larger
        laptop.

        I am continually searching for a decent, inexpensive, USB-based sound card
        that will be of better quality, and do 96k sampling. My only option for
        this right now is the Janus/Ozy that I currently have hooked up to the
        SDR-1000 and a desktop PC.

        I think the mic input of the Acer Aspire One is a stereo connector, but I
        bet it has voltage on one pin, and mic audio in on the other pin. I haven't
        tried to verify a mono-only input on the Acer, maybe someone else has. I've
        seen some messages that say other Netbooks have true stereo inputs...

        I've been focused on some Linux SDR software lately (using DttSP), and
        haven't done too much with the Acer. I have used the Acer a few times in
        the last week (with Rocky) just to verify that certain hardware is working
        right.

        My Acer is Windows-only, but I just bought an external LG slimline DVD so I
        can add Linux as a dual-boot system. BTW, I was at Costco yesterday, and
        saw an Aspire One accessory kit that contains an external DVD drive, a
        carrying case, and a USB mouse for $90. My LG DVD was $90 from Best Buy two
        days ago. Oh well... I did not want to do an Internet-based Linux install
        in case something went wrong partway through the install. Doing a local CD
        install is safer in my opinion.

        More as I get it... probably not the answers that you wanted.
        Terry
        WB4JFI

        Message 3 of 7 , May 1 1:12 PM
          Sorry to post again so soon, but I did a couple of quick tests.

          The good news is that the audio input to the Acer Aspire One is indeed
          STEREO. I was able to plug a SoftRock into the input, and after messing
          with the Realtek mixer settings a little, turn off the internal mic and turn
          off the mic boost.

          The very bad news is that there appears to be a SERIOUS 8KHz lowpass filter
          between the input jack and the audio A/D. If you fire up Rocky, you will
          see a large noise hump plus/minus center freq that is 16kHz wide (+/-8kHz)
          45dB above flatline. The rest of the spectrum is a flatline, except for
          some image spikes. So, you could use the Acer internal sound chip if you
          don't mind seeing only 16kHz worth of the band. Sounds like the first-gen
          iPhone all over again!!

          I was not able to obtain decent image suppression using a signal generator
          to calibrate Rocky (3.6). The images seemd to be fixed at about 30dB below
          the actual signal. However, I saw few images of real-time signals when
          connected to an antenna. Also, I got several debug errors from Rocky during
          the image calibration attempt. There is definately some image suppression,
          and the signal generator shows a definate 16kHz-wide reception bandwidth.
          This means the input is really stereo.

          Listening to the unit on 40M SSB, I had to turn off the Rocky AGC, and
          manually run the level down. Probably because of the huge difference
          between the flatline area, and the LPF passband. The demodulated audio
          seemed a little distorted, but that was likely due to manual RF level
          setting. I was using external speakers.

          Others have opened up their Acer Aspire Ones to do mods (see the Aspire One
          user groups), but I'm not ready to do that just yet. I have enough other
          projects at the moment. Maybe someone else can open it up and find a way to
          bypass the audio LP filter?

          Terry
          WB4JFI

          --
          Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E.
          E.F. Cross School of Engineering
          Walla Walla University
          100 SW 4th Street
          College Place, WA 99324
          (509) 527-2075 http://people.walllawalla.edu/~rob.frohne
        • Mark J. Dulcey
          Message 4 of 7 , May 1 7:59 PM
            WB4JFI wrote:

            > My Acer is Windows-only, but I just bought an external LG slimline DVD so I
            > can add Linux as a dual-boot system. BTW, I was at Costco yesterday, and
            > saw an Aspire One accessory kit that contains an external DVD drive, a
            > carrying case, and a USB mouse for $90. My LG DVD was $90 from Best Buy two
            > days ago. Oh well... I did not want to do an Internet-based Linux install
            > in case something went wrong partway through the install. Doing a local CD
            > install is safer in my opinion.

            An external CD or DVD drive is certainly way to install Linux, but not
            the only way. Some Linux distributions can also be installed from USB
            flash drives; notably, the Ubuntu Netbook Remix is designed to be
            installed that way, and you only need a 1GB flash drive. Some netbooks
            can also boot from SD cards; if yours can you can also install Linux
            from SD.