Re: Problems with dell laptop & SigmaTel sound card

  • graemevj
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 24, 2009
      Hi Steve,

      Thanks for responding. Your reply suggests the reason why Dell refuses to discuss the problem with me. I thought it was just because I was in a little country like New Zealand and did not count. I hope the auto manufacturers don't take the same stance. Obviously you have the same problems as me so here is a little info to help you use the card for SDR.
      There is a driver available from Dell which sort of works.

      http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R171789&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=8907&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=3&fileid=235761

      The piece of software called "AudioAnalyserV1.9 will enable you to switch back and forth between mono and stereo until the card catches the right phase and works ok.
      This software is invaluable to anyone experimenting with SDR as you can observe the phase of the incomming signals and check amplitude and phase settings. It is a must have for SDR experiments and free too.

      Good luck with your card and I can assure you after my experience with Dell I won't buy or recommend their products.

      73 Graeme ZL2APV

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Carr" <sdcarr@...> wrote:

      > A random note on the SigmaTel stac92xx - This chipset and associated drivers
      > are now owned by IDC and are not supported, seemingly by anyone on the
      > planet. I would highly suggest that one avoid anything that would cause
      > these drivers to be updated. In particular, there is a driver update
      > available from Microsoft that will permanently kill all functionality of
      > that driver - and the effects are not reversable without a complete reload
      > of the operating system, and then only if you happen to still happen to have
      > your original restore disk. Dell does not have the drivers available for
      > download. There are very few places that have them and the ones that are
      > available do not seem to work.
      >
      > Steve NE0U

      [SNIP]