Re: [softrock40] Beginners Programming Guide for ATtiny 45 / 85 devices

  • R R Robson
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1 4:09 PM
      Nice work, Bob!

      TX ES 73
      DE Robby WB5RVZ
      NAQCC #2646

      From: g8voip
      Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2009 5:08 PM
      Subject: [softrock40] Beginners Programming Guide for ATtiny 45 / 85 devices

      Hi all,

      As a beginner, I have recently gone through the process of learning what hardware and software is needed to program and reprogram the ATtiny 45 / 85 devices for myself, in order to try out Fred PE0FKO's version of the SoftRock v9.0 firmware.

      Along the way I have managed to help a number of others in the same position. It was suggested to me that I document my experiences to possibly help others who are interested in doing the same.

      Fred PE0FKO has kindly put both web page and PDF versions of this guide on his site, with links from his firmware page:

      http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/SR- V9-Si570/

      web page:

      http://home. ict.nl/~fredkrom /pe0fko/g8voi_ guide/

      I am sure 'experts' in this subject will probably find fault with it, however from the number of queries I have received and answered in recent weeks there appears to be a need for this basic information.

      73, Bob G8VOI

    • wd73383
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 1 6:13 PM
        Hi Bob - You shared an early version of this guide with me last week and I think it's very well done.

        I ordered one of the Atmel AVR Dragon (p/n ATAVRDRAGON) described at

        http://www.atmel.com/dyn/Products/tools_card.asp?tool_id=3891

        to take care of the hardware programming interface. The cost was around US$49.00 at Mouser plus another US$16 for a ZIF socket to allow some flexibility.

        Thanks again,

        Whitham D. Reeve, Anchorage, AK USA

        > Hi all,
        >
        > As a beginner, I have recently gone through the process of learning what hardware and software is needed to program and reprogram the ATtiny 45 / 85 devices for myself, in order to try out Fred PE0FKO's version of the SoftRock v9.0 firmware.

      • sailingto
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 1 8:07 PM
          Bob, you are about 8 weeks too late with that GREAT write up on AVR programming. For the last couple of months or so I've been chasing in your footsteps it seems on learning about this stuff. We've taken different direction to some extent. Your write up is very good.

          Since I built Fred's fuserestorer board, I don't even try HV programming - When I need to re-use a chip, I just place the chip in the fuserestorer board, press the button, and it's back ready to take ISP again.

          Since I had a diecimila board I hacked it, made an adapter to plug a t45 or t85 chip into the 28 pin socket, then use avrdude to burn the hex file and set the fuse bits.

          you did very good - and thank you for your contribution.

          73 de Ken H>

          > Hi all,
          >
          > As a beginner, I have recently gone through the process of learning what hardware and software is needed to program and reprogram the ATtiny 45 / 85 devices for myself, in order to try out Fred PE0FKO's version of the SoftRock v9.0 firmware.
          appears to be a need for this basic information.

          > 73, Bob G8VOI

        • ashok joshi
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 1 11:30 PM
            Hi Bob

            Congratulations. You did a great job for beginners.
            We have A-one experts on our forum, but a clear cut directive for beginners like me was missing.
            You filled the gap very nicely.
            Thanks again
            73s
            ashok vu2ash

            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2 12:28 AM
              From: "g8voip"Subject: [softrock40] Beginners Programming Guide for ATtiny
              45 / 85 devices

              Very good, Bob!

              One thing, with the HV programmer in XP the giveio.bat did not work with me.
              I just put giveio.sys into the same folder as avrpp.exe and it worked
              without actually installing giveio.

              The only other comment I can make is that computer motherboards are still
              made with serial and parallel ports.
              I've just built one with an Asus P5KPL but there are many others available.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ
            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2 2:29 AM
                Hi all,

                Thanks to for the positive feedback and comments, really appreciated, nice to wake up to this morning.

                I will try to keep the guide up to date and keep adding as I learn or from the feedback.

                A couple of comments:

                Ken, I agree Fred's 'Fuse Restorer' is a nice stand alone solution, only trouble I see for beginners is that you have to program an AVR chip for it in the first place, so you would have to go through most of the learning process anyway.

                Alan, I think the 'problem' with using the 'giveio.sys' driver is that it needs to be installed and registered correctly, however putting it in the same folder as the avrpp program does work.

                I used the 'install_giveio.bat' file included with the WinAVR package on my Win2000 PC. Just taken a look at that file and it uses the 'loaddrv.exe' program to carry out the installation.

                Ashok, VU2ASH pointed me to the other website included in the document regarding using 'giveio.sys', and that details using 'loaddrv.exe' to install the driver. He successfully did this and used it on his Win XP machine with the HVS programmer.

                I normally use a dedicated old Win98se PC for programming all sorts of PICs and EEPROM devices, so none of the above problems with any of the AVR programmers.

                I did try using a cheap USB - parallel printer adapter, but that failed miserably. I believe some types might allow bit manipulation, but not sure about any timing issues.

                As well as motherboards that still support the legacy serial and parallel ports, there are also PCI cards available. I think its just the mindset with some that these are 'old hat'.

                Ultimately, as we are only likely to need to reprogram the chip a few times, my aim was to do it as cheaply and simply as possible.

                Next job for me is to learn how to make my own website, a beginners guide would be very nice ;-)

                Thanks again Fred for hosting the files for me,

                73, Bob G8VOI

                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2 2:45 AM
                  From: "g8voip"

                  > Alan, I think the 'problem' with using the 'giveio.sys' driver is that it
                  > needs to be installed and registered correctly, however putting it in the
                  > same folder as the avrpp program does work.
                  >
                  > I used the 'install_giveio.bat' file included with the WinAVR package on
                  > my Win2000 PC. Just taken a look at that file and it uses the
                  > 'loaddrv.exe' program to carry out the installation.

                  Yes, but the bat file would NOT work on my XP computer. I got an error
                  message and avrpp did not work.
                  So if anyone else has that problem then just putting giveio.sys in the avrpp
                  folder is a work-round.

                  > Next job for me is to learn how to make my own website, a beginners guide
                  > would be very nice ;-)

                  I've just started with Google! Ten times the space of my ISP's allowance!
                  http://g4zfqradio.googlepages.com/avrhvprogrammer is one of my first
                  attempts.

                  Start at
                  https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=jotspot&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2F
                  All is made reasonably simple.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2 3:20 AM
                    Hi Alan,

                    Thanks for the pointer to the Google site, I had not looked at that, only my Tiscali one. Gives me the choice to play with.

                    As far as the installation of 'giveio.sys', I just did a couple of experiments and think I have found what the problem is.

                    I ran the copy of the batch file I put in the directory where avrpp is and run it from the DOS prompt, and it failed to install it, could not find loaddrv.exe. I had assumed it was part of Windows and in one of the system directories. If fact it is part of the 'WinAVR' package.

                    When I installed 'giveio.sys' on my PC, I did it from the original source in c:\winavr\bin folder when I was playing with avrdude. That folder contains the batch file plus giveio.sys and loaddrv.exe

                    I just put a copy of loaddrv.exe in the same folder as avrpp and run the batch file again from there the DOS prompt and it worked ok this time.

                    Guess I fooled myself, as I did not notice the failure to install with avrpp, but it worked ok as I had previously done it anyway.

                    Something I need to update already then!

                    Thanks,

                    Bob G8VOI

                    > From: "g8voip"
                    > >
                    > > Alan, I think the 'problem' with using the 'giveio.sys' driver is that it
                    > > needs to be installed and registered correctly, however putting it in the
                    > > same folder as the avrpp program does work.
                    > >
                    > > I used the 'install_giveio.bat' file included with the WinAVR package on
                    > > my Win2000 PC. Just taken a look at that file and it uses the
                    > > 'loaddrv.exe' program to carry out the installation.
                    > >

                    > Yes, but the bat file would NOT work on my XP computer. I got an error
                    > message and avrpp did not work.
                    > So if anyone else has that problem then just putting giveio.sys in the avrpp
                    > folder is a work-round.
                    >

                    > > Next job for me is to learn how to make my own website, a beginners guide
                    > > would be very nice ;-)
                    > >

                    > I've just started with Google! Ten times the space of my ISP's allowance!
                    > http://g4zfqradio.googlepages.com/avrhvprogrammer is one of my first
                    > attempts.
                    >
                    > Start at
                    > https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=jotspot&passive=true&continue=http%3A%2F%2Fsites.google.com%2F