What iron

  • Don Rhodes
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
      I just got my softrock40 and was wondering what soldering iron/stations people are using for construction? Those smd's look a little intimidating.
      Tnx
      Don Rhodes
      AA9MX
    • Leon Heller
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
          Message
          Dan,
              I have the Weller WESD51 and like it really well. Caught it on sale last year. There are quite a few alternatives out there that are less expensive though. I'm sure you'll be swamped with suggestions just shortly.

          Stan Rife
          W5EWA
          Houston, TX
          K2 S/N 4216

          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
            Hi Don,

            I have built over forty of the various verision of the SoftRock40 and use a little 12 watt Weller Model WM 120 that I bought some months ago at Fry's in Indy.  A toothpick makes a very good tool for positioning the SMT parts while I nail down one pin of an IC or one end of a cap.

            Good luck with your kit build.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
              I have not received my softrock40 yet, but I have built quite a lot with SMD components.
              I use an old Weller TCP 50W . The kind that "clicks".

              For IC:s I use the standard "fat" tip. I just solder all the legs with a lot of solder. Almost all of the legs becomes bridged :-). Then I use a solder-wick to suck up all the solder, and suddenly it looks really professional. The capillary force holds the tin under the legs. It works all the time and is easy, even with my fat fingers.

              For legless components I use a very sharp tip. I tin one pad (The solder-wick is really useful here too. You only need a minimum of solder) and press the component down with a small screwdriver while I melt the solder. Then it is easy to solder the rest of the pads.

              73 de Anders, SM7TJC

              Don Rhodes wrote:
              I just got my softrock40 and was wondering what soldering iron/stations people are using for construction? Those smd's look a little intimidating.
              Tnx
              Don Rhodes
              AA9MX

            • Chris Waldrup
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                Don,

                I use a Pace Tempwise 100 at both home and work.  It's similar to the Metcal unit that Leon mentioned.

                The TW100 is shown at:

                Chris
                KD4PBJ
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 19, 2005
                  Don,

                  George has an article on the Micro 908 site that might be of value:

                  Lou

                  Don Rhodes <drrhodes@...> wrote:
                  I just got my softrock40 and was wondering what soldering iron/stations people are using for construction? Those smd's look a little intimidating.
                  Tnx
                  Don Rhodes
                  AA9MX

                  http://mail.yahoo.com

                • KY1K
                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 21, 2005
                    Hi All,

                    I have been using liquid solder (paste) with great success. 5 years
                    ago, I started out with a sample sent to me for free by a vendor. It
                    was sent without an applicator, so using it on really small smt was
                    impossible, couldn't apply small amounts of solder without the
                    special (and pricey) micro-applicator.

                    The stuff was great, I used it with a conventional Weller soldering
                    station and with the pyropen hot air 'iron'. It was supposed to have
                    a 3 month shelf life, but I stored it in the refrigerator and it has
                    lasted 5 years although it has degraded to the point where I wouldn't
                    trust it on smt.

                    So, I need to buy more liquid solder and want a more modest quantity,
                    and something that comes with an inexpensive applicator so it will
                    dispense small amounts needed for smt pads.

                    Any suggestion as to which product to buy and where to buy it???
                    Please, no Radio Shack recommends, been there, done that...I've got
                    questions, they have blank stares:>: Reputable vendors only please.

                    Thanks,

                    Art

                  • David H. Martin
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 21, 2005
                      Wow, Art, you scared me for a moment. I once saw a
                      brand new Heathkit HW-101 that a young new ham had
                      assembled using the plastic type "liquid solder". It
                      never did work.

                      I've had limited success using solder paste in a
                      plastic oral syringe given to me by a friendly
                      pharmacist. It's hardly small enough for any type of
                      precision, but at least it's controllable and useable
                      for small jobs or repairs. You nearly have to
                      despense some onto a toothpick to apply. Pretty messy
                      that way, but with a little patience I got by.

                      73,
                      Dave W5DHM

                      --- KY1K <ky1k@...> wrote:

                      > Hi All,
                      >
                      > I have been using liquid solder (paste) with great
                      > success. 5 years
                      > ago, I started out with a sample sent to me for free
                      > by a vendor. It
                      > was sent without an applicator, so using it on
                      > really small smt was
                      > impossible, couldn't apply small amounts of solder
                      > without the
                      > special (and pricey) micro-applicator.
                      >
                      > The stuff was great, I used it with a conventional
                      > Weller soldering
                      > station and with the pyropen hot air 'iron'. It was
                      > supposed to have
                      > a 3 month shelf life, but I stored it in the
                      > refrigerator and it has
                      > lasted 5 years although it has degraded to the point
                      > where I wouldn't
                      > trust it on smt.
                      >
                      > So, I need to buy more liquid solder and want a more
                      > modest quantity,
                      > and something that comes with an inexpensive
                      > applicator so it will
                      > dispense small amounts needed for smt pads.
                      >
                      > Any suggestion as to which product to buy and where
                      > to buy it???
                      > Please, no Radio Shack recommends, been there, done
                      > that...I've got
                      > questions, they have blank stares:>: Reputable
                      > vendors only please.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      >
                      > Art
                      >

                      > --
                      > Release Date: 9/20/2005

                      __________________________________
                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • KY1K
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 21, 2005

                        >despense some onto a toothpick to apply. Pretty messy
                        >that way, but with a little patience I got by.

                        Thanks Dave.

                        It is pretty toxic stuff too, and dispensing with a toothpick is
                        going to mean wiping the toothpick onto something once in awhile to
                        keep the toothpick clean and prevent a big glob of it from forming on the tip.

                        I was hoping for something a bit more elegant in terms of the
                        dispenser, but not elegant to the point of costing 200 dollars just
                        for the micro dispensing hardware.

                        My original sample came in a syringe and was perfect for doing DIP
                        packages and through hole type components. A smaller syringe might be
                        better....but can't imagine it being fine enough for smt dispensing.

                        Thanks,

                        Art