Re: [softrock40] How do you know the width of your sound card's band?

  • Robert Meadows
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17 2:18 PM
      thank you.

      --- On Tue, 3/17/09, Bob Diepenbrock <bob_deep@...> wrote:
      From: Bob Diepenbrock <bob_deep@...>
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] How do you know the width of your sound card's band?
      To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 5:08 PM

      That depends on the card maker.  Personally, I'd go to the device manager and find the audio hardware chip set.  Then armed with that information I'd hit up Google for links to the device specs.  That might get you close.

      If you already know the card's manufacturer, you can start your search with that information.

      Even then, you may just have to measure to know for sure what bandwidth you have.

      From: Bob Diepenbrock <bob_deep@yahoo. com>
      To: softrock40@yahoogro ups.com
      Date: Tuesday, March 17, 2009, 3:27 PM

      Well...  Assuming you are looking at 24 bit or better sample sizes... (and who would look at 16 bits these days anyway..)

      FIRST look at the sample rate of the A/D which will set the upper limit of what the sound card might be able to digitize.  48Khz sample rate means that you might get up to 48Khz bandwidth out of your softrock.

      However, many sound cards will have bandwidth limitations on the analog side.  This might be due to the designers actually putting in filters, or more likely using cheap components in their designs. So if it starts rolling off at 20Khz (being above where most folks can hear anyway) you are only going to get a fraction of the bandwidth possible out of that 96Khz sample rate.

      You have to test to know for sure, but start with the highest sample rate you can afford.

      -= Bob =-