Re: [softrock40] V9 ATT45 failure mystery

  • Guido
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 17, 2009
      Bill,

      Verry sorry to hear that the USB is not longer recognized.

      Now you are having this issue could you do the following experiment ?

      Please make a considerable change in temperature of the AVR and see if it is able to be recognized after a power down, power up of the AVR and an USB cable reconnect. You may also try to change the temperature of the USB interface of the PC. Repeat this a few times.

      Could you let me know if this have a positive effect ?

      73, Guido
      PE1NNZ

      On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 5:58 PM, patbilldavis <CQbilld@...> wrote:
       Hi Guys

       I installed the latest PowerSDR versions and the necessary DLL for the BPF switching on my Dell laptop for an upcoming trip. All was verified and I enjoyed  having the V9 playing all day (about 8 hrs).

       The next day I turned things on and the dreaded "unrecognized USB device" message popped up instead of my usual "beep boop" musical greeting. SO ..... plugged my V6.3 into the laptop and all was good. Pulled the ATT45 out of the V9 and put it in the V6.3 ... sure enough the ATT45 was "dead".

       This V9 had ran many hundreds of hours since it was built. Most of that time with the plug in filters. I would guess only a few dozen hrs with the switched BPF board.

       When this V9 was built last fall, the ATT45 "failed" right off the bat. Never worked at all. I replaced the the 2 zeners to the recommended value and installed a new ATT45 and all was well until now.

       I switch the computer USB 5v and the external 12V with a DPDT switch at the time and I had never had any issues on startup.

       I don't know if the ATT45's are failing or are becoming corrupted somehow. I'm running my V9 now with the ATT45 from my V6.3 for my trip, but I worry every time I power up, if the all will be well.

       Anyone else having any similar issues or any ideas? Sure strange to me. I have done a good visual check and the ATT45 runs cold. The V9 is drawing 100ma @ 12v. I think when I last checked it was drawing 90ma.

       73  Bill  K0AWU