Re: [softrock40] using solder paste while following step by step build instructions

  • R R Robson
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 14, 2009
      While I have not yet personally tried that technique on any of my Softrock builds, I have had the same concern.  Stage-by-stage building kind of assumes that what you have laid down in previous stages won't get "undone".  I would worry more about the subsequent stage's activity causing that result than I would about the heat effect.  For example, I could envision a situation where SMT caps might come unsoldered or moved or shorted, or even an IC getting unsoldered/shifted slightly enough to cause short or incorrect connection

      Another concern I have heard expressed is the reliability of joints where the board is not evenly heated up before applying the final, over-the-top heat surge from the heat gun.

      TX ES 73
      DE Robby WB5RVZ
      NAQCC #2646