using solder paste while following step by step build instructions

  • AD6HF
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 13, 2009
      Hello,
      I've built several soft rocks with varied degrees of success.
      I recently purchased a rx/tx 6.3.I would like to follow wb5rvz's
      step by step instructions I really like using solder paste with an embossing tool.Would the heat from the embossing tool damage components that were installed in a previous step ?
    • Brian Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 13, 2009
        Probably not, but you will melt the solder and they may fall off....

        I started my SMT work using paste and solder, but I switch back to hand soldering when I have to work on double-sided boards or a mixture of thru-hole and SMT components on the same board.

        Brian AC7NA.

        I've built several soft rocks with varied degrees of success.
        I recently purchased a rx/tx 6.3.I would like to follow wb5rvz's
        step by step instructions I really like using solder paste with an embossing tool.Would the heat from the embossing tool damage components that were installed in a previous step ?

      • R R Robson
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 14, 2009
          While I have not yet personally tried that technique on any of my Softrock builds, I have had the same concern.  Stage-by-stage building kind of assumes that what you have laid down in previous stages won't get "undone".  I would worry more about the subsequent stage's activity causing that result than I would about the heat effect.  For example, I could envision a situation where SMT caps might come unsoldered or moved or shorted, or even an IC getting unsoldered/shifted slightly enough to cause short or incorrect connection

          Another concern I have heard expressed is the reliability of joints where the board is not evenly heated up before applying the final, over-the-top heat surge from the heat gun.

          TX ES 73
          DE Robby WB5RVZ
          NAQCC #2646