My experiance with The 455kc IF softrock

  • aa9wqham@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2009
      Hello everyone!

      I bought and put together one of Tony's SR2 lite 455kc IF kits to pair up with one of my Collins 75a4 receivers
      .
      It was an easy build. I only had to change the value of one resistor R17 Emitter resistor on the Q2 buffer transistor to make it suit my needs. They are a work in progress. They are an excellent value and have so many possibility's I would love to discuss using them as an IF and a Panadaptor.

      It works great. No problems. The selectivity is awesome. The LO oscillator is running at 464kc. Is far enough way to not be a problem. I used a 10pf cap off the plate of the mixer tube just before the first IF tube. I hooked the cap in series with a 25k potentiometer to ground. Hook the pot wiper to the coax going to the IF KIT. Follow the directions on hooking the antenna connection to the SoftRock. You will have issues if you ground the coax at the kit end. Float it as instructed. You set the level going to the Softrock by adjusting the potentiometer so the S meter reads the same in the software as it does on the radio.  You should be able to adapt it to most situations. There is no better accessory for your vintage RX.

      I am recouping from some major surgery, As Things settle down a bit and I get to feeling better I will post some audio clips with and without the SoftRock in line. It's impressive. Have fun. It's what the hobby is all about.

      Next projects are used the 9mhz IF kit on a modified Drake TR3 and a TenTec Corsair. I also have on order a v9.0 and a 6.3 that I am looking forward to building when they come in. Everyone please have patience with Tony he is a busy man creating these wonderful little devices. There's no better bargain for the $$.

      Larry  W9AMR ex aa9wqham many years ago.  www.w9amr.com

      Worried about job security? Check out the 5 safest jobs in a recession.
    • Ross Stenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2009
        Here is the best part Larry, if you just compare the 75A4 directly to a SR2 Lite operating say on 40M with a good soundcard, you will say to yourself I think my $10 receiver is better than the boatanchor (or at least as good)!

            73 Ross K9COX