Re: Softrock V9.0, Attiny85 V2.0 and HF BPF Problem

  • g8voip
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Don,

      With the v2.0 firmware, band pass filter switching will NOT work with
      Rocky, you will have to wait and see if a new version is created to
      support it.

      You might like to take a look at Fred PE0FKO's v15.9 firmware,
      currently a much better option in my opinion.

      http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/

      If it is set up using the screens within Winrad to enable the Auto
      Band Pass Filter (ABPF) option, this then works with ALL of the
      currently available SDR software packages including Rocky. In his
      firmware, smooth tuning and auto bpf switching functions are
      implemented within the firmware.

      You can now also use Christos new PSDR-IQ with the auto image
      rejection without needing any added dll files with Fred's firmware.
      With v2.0 firmware smooth tuning is done using the external dll file
      and will not work as the USB - I2C causes glitches at every tuning
      step. Fred's 'smooth tuning' resolves this problem.

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "nj2e" <donk47@...> wrote:

      > I found the problem. I discovered the need to add the PE1NNZ dll
      > (Instruction about that can be found in the files section,G0BBL
      > folder). That didn't solve the problem because I was using PowerSDR
      > V1.12.20. When I downloaded V1.12.1 everything worked as expected. I
      > didn't understand the need to add the dll. I hope this makes it easier
      > for someone else. Regards and good night. Don NJ2E
      >

      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "nj2e" <donk47@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello Everyone, I just finished the HF BPF board for my Softrock V9.0
      > > and installed the Attiny 85 with V2.0 software. The BPF works fine
      > > using the manual jumpers, but it doesn't appear to switch when I
      > > connect J3 to JP1 and JP2. I have tried using Rocky an PowerSDR I/Q.
      > > The voltage at pin one of J3 is constantly about 0v and pin two is
      > > around 1.5v no matter what band is selected. First of all should I
      > > expect the the filters to switch bands? If it should, any suggestions
      > > to make it work? In advance thank for the help. Don NJ2E

    • pe0fko
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
        Hi Bob & group,

        Thanks bob for the explanation, only a small remarks.
        >> If it is set up using the screens within Winrad to enable the Auto
        Band Pass Filter (ABPF) option
        The ABPF option is by default enabled in the firmware with filter points
        4, 8 & 16MHz, so V9 users can run the firmware with no change.
        Users of the RXTX v6 will need to disable the ABPF to use the I/O lines
        for the TX and CW key lines.

        73, Fred
        PE0FKO

        g8voip wrote:

        > Hi Don,
        >
        > With the v2.0 firmware, band pass filter switching will NOT work with
        > Rocky, you will have to wait and see if a new version is created to
        > support it.
        >
        > You might like to take a look at Fred PE0FKO's v15.9 firmware,
        > currently a much better option in my opinion.
        >
        > http://home.ict.nl/~fredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/
        > <http://home.ict.nl/%7Efredkrom/pe0fko/SR-V9-Si570/>
        >
        > If it is set up using the screens within Winrad to enable the Auto
        > Band Pass Filter (ABPF) option, this then works with ALL of the
        > currently available SDR software packages including Rocky. In his
        > firmware, smooth tuning and auto bpf switching functions are
        > implemented within the firmware.
        >
        > You can now also use Christos new PSDR-IQ with the auto image
        > rejection without needing any added dll files with Fred's firmware.
        > With v2.0 firmware smooth tuning is done using the external dll file
        > and will not work as the USB - I2C causes glitches at every tuning
        > step. Fred's 'smooth tuning' resolves this problem.
        >
        > 73, Bob G8VOI
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "nj2e" <donk47@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I found the problem. I discovered the need to add the PE1NNZ dll
        > > (Instruction about that can be found in the files section,G0BBL
        > > folder). That didn't solve the problem because I was using PowerSDR
        > > V1.12.20. When I downloaded V1.12.1 everything worked as expected. I
        > > didn't understand the need to add the dll. I hope this makes it easier
        > > for someone else. Regards and good night. Don NJ2E
        > >

        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:softrock40%40yahoogroups.com>, "nj2e" <donk47@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello Everyone, I just finished the HF BPF board for my Softrock V9.0
        > > > and installed the Attiny 85 with V2.0 software. The BPF works fine
        > > > using the manual jumpers, but it doesn't appear to switch when I
        > > > connect J3 to JP1 and JP2. I have tried using Rocky an PowerSDR I/Q.
        > > > The voltage at pin one of J3 is constantly about 0v and pin two is
        > > > around 1.5v no matter what band is selected. First of all should I
        > > > expect the the filters to switch bands? If it should, any suggestions
        > > > to make it work? In advance thank for the help. Don NJ2E

      • alexle188
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2009
          > 4, 8 & 16MHz, so V9 users can run the firmware with no change.
          > Users of the RXTX v6 will need to disable the ABPF to use the I/O lines
          > for the TX and CW key lines.

          Users of RxTx v6.x wishing to do Tx/Rx switching (ie PTT), CW key
          lines, smooth tune and ABPF (eg. using the 9V1AL motherboard for both
          Rx and Tx BPF switching) etc. can consider using the UBW instead of
          the ATTINY based USB-I2C controller. The UBW has more i/o lines.

          Information and .hex file of the firmware for the UBW can be found in
          FILES->9V1AL->UBW Emulator.

          Using the UBW with the UBW Emulator firmware, it emulates the
          functions of the ATTINY controller with Fred's v15.8 firmware - thus
          ABPF, smooth tune, calibration once in firmware, setting of cross over
          points for the ABPF etc. can be done from the PC, as if the USB-I2C
          Interface with Fred's firmware were there.

          73's

          Alex
          9V1AL
        • RW3ACQ
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 20, 2009
            Hi, Don! A colleague of mine's got the same problem with ATtiny85 and ABPF you wrote about. So as far as I understood he has to remove v.1.12.20, to istall v.1.12.1 following the instructions in the files section, G0BBL folder. If I'm not right, please correct me, because I'm the only one who can help him.
            Thanks in advance,
            73's de Serge RW3ACQ
          • g8voip
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 20, 2009
              Hi there,

              Not sure where this thread started, but the v2.0 firmware does NOT have the ABPF function, that is unique to the versions of the firmware written by Fred PE0FKO, v15.xx.

              The only support for BPF switching using v2.0 firmware and PSDR is with a modified version of the SDR1kUSB.dll file, although I am not sure whether that actually works with PSDR-IQ v1.12.20 or not.

              Even if it did work, the combination of v2.0 firmware and PSDR-IQ is not very good, as it suffers from tuning glitches at every step as there is no Si570 'smooth tuning' function.

              It is far better to upgrade to one of Fred PE0FKO's versions of the firmware (v15.12), both for the ABPF filter control, and smooth tuning, implemented within the AVR firmware.

              73, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "RW3ACQ" <rw3acq@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Don! A colleague of mine's got the same problem with ATtiny85 and ABPF you wrote about. So as far as I understood he has to remove v.1.12.20, to istall v.1.12.1 following the instructions in the files section, G0BBL folder. If I'm not right, please correct me, because I'm the only one who can help him.
              > Thanks in advance,
              > 73's de Serge RW3ACQ

            • RW3ACQ
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 27, 2009
                Hi,Bob! Thank you very much for the advise. I hope we try it earlier next month.
                Good luck and 73's
                Serge, RW3ACQ