LO difficulties w/ my Softrock 40...

  • raytracer
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
      I just started work on my Softrock Lite II for 40m, and have hit a
      snag. I put together the power supply w/o difficulty, and then moved
      on to the local oscillator. I finished it, but now it appears to be
      pulling 23ma, instead of < the nominal 4. I also hear no trace of
      oscillation in my HF rig when I power it on.

      I measure the following voltages:

      * R11 hairpin: 4.92 volts, nominal, indicates that the voltage
      regulator is working.
      * R15 hairpin: 3.94 volts, nominal value should be < R11, mine is
      significantly lower than the supply voltage, might indicate a problem.
      * R12 hairpin: 2.37 volts, should < 2.5, seems nominal.
      * R17 hairpin: 4.7 volts, should be > 2.5, mine seems high perhaps.

      Anybody have any ideas? I am double checking all the components, but
      thusfar they seem right. Photos are on my blog:

      http://brainwagon.org/2009/02/28/sigh-difficulties-with-the-softrock-40/

      Thanks in advance...

      73 Mark K6HX
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
        Hi Mark,

        Any chance the lead of R12 is making contact to the crystal case?

        73,
        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

          > Hi Mark,
          >
          > Any chance the lead of R12 is making contact to the crystal case?
          >
          > 73,
          > Tony Parks
          > kb9yig@...

          Got it. Had a solder bridge across the leads of C12. Now I can hear
          a (pretty ugly) oscillator key up when I apply power. The current
          draw is about 13.6ma w/o the current limiting resistor in place. Is
          this high?

          Incidently, the instructions at
          http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/02_lo.htm indicate that the
          current draw with the resistor inline should be < 12, and < 4 without.
          These are quite obviously reversed, no?

          Mark
        • Tony Parks

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
              Your oscillator current is probably ok.

              I have a 40m Lite II playing here and the supply current is about 23 mA for the total board.

              73,
              Tony Parks
              kb9yig@...

              On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 21:22 +0000, raytracer wrote:
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Hi Mark,
              >
              > Any chance the lead of R12 is making contact to the crystal case?
              >
              > 73,
              > Tony Parks
              > kb9yig@...

              Got it. Had a solder bridge across the leads of C12. Now I can hear
              a (pretty ugly) oscillator key up when I apply power. The current
              draw is about 13.6ma w/o the current limiting resistor in place. Is
              this high?

              Incidently, the instructions at
              http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/02_lo.htm indicate that the
              current draw with the resistor inline should be < 12, and < 4 without.
              These are quite obviously reversed, no?

              Mark

            • Leonard
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 28, 2009
                I agree with Tony.
                I've been working with Robby over the last few days and his ma meter
                is defective causing all of his current measurements to be way off.
                We verified this yesterday.
                A good measurement to verify oscillator operation is to measure the
                voltage across R11. Mine measured 90mv which corresponds to 9ma's.
                That is the total oscillator current. I took this measurement while
                proving his were incorrect. I talked to Robby and I will assemble
                another one over the next couple of days and give Robby the correct
                measurements. You can see the scope waveforms I took in the process
                at http://golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/softrock/lite2/

                My total board current when completed was 29.6 ma's. Your 23 should
                be fine as most of the current draw is in the oscillator and through
                the R3 - R4 chain.

                Leonard
                kc0wox.com

                > Your oscillator current is probably ok.
                >
                > I have a 40m Lite II playing here and the supply current is about
                23 mA
                > for the total board.
                >
                > 73,
                > Tony Parks
                > kb9yig@...
                >

                > On Sat, 2009-02-28 at 21:22 +0000, raytracer wrote:
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi Mark,
                > > >
                > > > Any chance the lead of R12 is making contact to the crystal
                case?

                > > > 73,
                > > > Tony Parks
                > > > kb9yig@
                > >
                > > Got it. Had a solder bridge across the leads of C12. Now I can
                hear
                > > a (pretty ugly) oscillator key up when I apply power. The current
                > > draw is about 13.6ma w/o the current limiting resistor in place.
                Is
                > > this high?
                > >
                > > Incidently, the instructions at
                > > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/sr_lite_ii/02_lo.htm indicate that the
                > > current draw with the resistor inline should be < 12, and < 4
                without.
                > > These are quite obviously reversed, no?
                > >
                > > Mark

              • R R Robson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 1 3:43 PM
                  Please take the current draw measurements with a large grain of salt.  I should have been much more attentive to my results but, instead, I just blindly noted them and moved on.  The meter I was using was defective and failed to show any appreciable jump in current draw from stage to stage.

                  I am annotating the builders notes to this effect.  Leonard KC0WOX is running through the stages with a 20m kit and will report good readings back to me for update to the notes.

                  Apologies to all.

                  de robby wb5rvz

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 1 4:00 PM
                    I just finished building through the dividers today. The power supply
                    current with no series resistor was 4.4 ma's, local oscillator was
                    14.1 ma's. That was a little higher than the last one I made. The
                    divider test was 18.1 ma's.
                    Leonard